New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

09-23-2012, 10:11 PM   #1
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

DCT Facts - Cover story - Audi R8 Switches to Dual Clutch

FYI

Cheers

http://www.dctfacts.com/
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 11:15 PM   #2
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

Well at least for now you can still buy one with a MT. I predict that in 10 years there will be no MT's offered for sale in 4 wheel vehicles in the US market. Or if they are offered, the MT will be the option @ premium cost. Motorcycles are now beginning to utilize the DCT. The scale of cost/efficiency is inevitable. Thankfully mechanical technology doesn't move quite as fast as electronic technology. Who ever would have thought the incandescent light bulb would be banned.

Hopefully the grand kids will still be allowed to steer their cars.

A slightly modified "Big Yellow Taxi" by Joni Mitchell

Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone
They gave me a crutch
Sav'n for that new Dual Clutch

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 12:26 AM   #3
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

It will be interesting to see if the US will be the hold-out that keeps that traditional manual transmission around the longest in performance models (i.e. US was the only market to get a manual for the E60 M5) Almost ironic considering how rare the manual is in mainstream models.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 01:06 AM   #4
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrK View Post
Well at least for now you can still buy one with a MT. I predict that in 10 years there will be no MT's offered for sale in 4 wheel vehicles in the US market. Or if they are offered, the MT will be the option @ premium cost. Motorcycles are now beginning to utilize the DCT. The scale of cost/efficiency is inevitable. Thankfully mechanical technology doesn't move quite as fast as electronic technology. Who ever would have thought the incandescent light bulb would be banned.
Yes, it saddens me to see the trend. IMO true sports cars should always have a manual transmission as an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
It will be interesting to see if the US will be the hold-out that keeps that traditional manual transmission around the longest in performance models (i.e. US was the only market to get a manual for the E60 M5) Almost ironic considering how rare the manual is in mainstream models.
Is it true that most of the cars in Europe have MT's?
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
javol
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT

Quote:
Transmissions perception in Europe, IN GENERAL TERMS, is the following:

1) only automatic, 4 or 5 speed: a real rare beast: old style, expensive and boring. Now, 10, 20 or 40 years ago the opinion has always been the same.

2) manual: top seller as it is cheaper and culturally felt funnier. In the last years this perception has been progressively changing.

3) modern auto - dual clutch: the best mix among sport and relax. Most of the people would nowadays buy such a trans for family, city or sport cars, but it is expensive.

It seems that, since US people have been using auto trans since '50, more frequently consider the manual as sportier and funnier. The European have been always using manual trans, practically IGNORING the classic auto trans, so feels the modern dual clutch as sportier and funnier...

CLEARLY SPEAKING IN GENERAL TERMS WITH TONS OF EXCEPTIONS.

Last edited by javol; 09-26-2012 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 01:42 AM   #6
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
Seems that way to me when I am over there, based on when I glance at cars on the street and try to rent them.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #7
bmwmick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 Z3,'11 Z4 35i,'90 C4 Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrK View Post
Who ever would have thought the incandescent light bulb would be banned.
Herk,
That is just another myth: The idiots just raised the efficiency requirement for incandescentss, NOT BANNED (it should not matter 1/21/2013 anyway as most if not all of the 923 current executive orders will be rescinded and with any luck, the EPA will be dissolved).

You can still buy rough duty incandescents in any wattage.

They have not banned incandescent bulbs. Once the law begins to take effect next year, wattages for 100 watt bulbs are required to drop by about 30%. That means a former 100 watt bulb will use only 72 watts, yet emit a comparable amount of light. The law will be phased in over the next several years affecting 75 watt bulbs in 2013, then 60 watt and 40 watt bulbs in 2014. The new incandescent bulbs employ a small halogen capsule with an incandescent element that looks and operates just like a conventional bulb, while producing the same quality of light and using less energy. These halogen incandescents already meet or exceed the standards set by the EISA. To say it another way, incandescent bulbs are not banned.
Appreciate 0