New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

10-13-2017, 11:16 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

BMW Electrified Vehicle Sales Now Top 10,000 Units Per Month

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW Electrified Vehicle Sales Now Top 10,000 Units Per Month
COMMENTS
  • Electrified sales in first nine months 2017 higher than in whole of 2016
  • Sales of electrified BMW and MINI vehicles +64.2% in year-to-date
  • Total BMW Group deliveries up 3.7% in first three quarters
  • Record sales continue for BMW, MINI and BMW Motorrad

Munich, Germany- October 13, 2017... BMW Group sales of electrified vehicles in the first three quarters of 2017 have exceeded those achieved in the whole of 2016; in September, electrified sales topped the 10,000 mark for the first time in a single month. With the company’s electrified line-up already totalling nine models, a total of 10,786 (+50.5%) BMW i, BMW iPerformance and MINI Electric vehicles were delivered in September, bringing the year-to-date total to 68,687 (+64.2%).

“We are pleased to see the ongoing, strong sales development of our unrivalled range of electrified vehicles, with independent reports* confirming our leadership in the field of electromobility,” commented Dr Ian Robertson, BMW AG Management Board Member for Sales and Brand BMW. “The BMW Group has the largest share of the electrified market worldwide; this year, we’ve already sold more electrified vehicles than in the whole of last year and we are well on track to deliver our target of 100,000 by year-end. The continued significant sales growth of these vehicles is due in part to the increasing availability of the BMW 5 Series plug-in hybrid, which in some markets accounts for up to a third of BMW 5 Series sedan sales,” he continued.

(BMW 530e: fuel consumption combined: 1.9-2.1 l/100 km; combined electricity consumption: 13.1-14.1 kWh/100 km, CO2 emissions combined: 44-49 g/km. Fuel consumption and CO2 figures were calculated as per the EU test cycle and may vary depending on the tyre format.)

September also saw growth in overall BMW Group sales. Despite the current changeover of the significant BMW X3 model, deliveries in the month totalled 239,764 (+0.8%) worldwide, bringing the year-to-date total to 1,811,234 (+3.7%). Both figures represent best-ever sales for the respective period.

Global BMW brand sales in the first three quarters of 2017 increased by 3.9% with a total of 1,537,497 customer deliveries worldwide. These record figures can be attributed to increased sales across a variety of models in the portfolio. The BMW X family remains a strong growth driver, despite availability of the BMW X3 being significantly affected by the current model changeover. Total BMW X sales were up 12.5% (522,360) in the first nine months of the year. Other models contributing significantly to sales growth this year include the BMW 1 Series (143,018 / +10.8%) and the BMW 7 Series (47,880 / +14.7%). Meanwhile in September, the new BMW 5 Series achieved sales growth of 48.8% (23,737) in markets excluding China, where the 5 Series is currently in model changeover.

The first nine months of the year also saw MINI achieve new record sales: worldwide, a total of 271,394 were delivered to customers, an increase of 2.8%. “MINI continues to achieve sustainable sales growth with the new MINI Countryman proving a particularly strong growth driver,” commented Peter Schwarzenbauer, BMW AG Management Board member for MINI, Rolls-Royce and BMW Motorrad. “The popularity of the first ever MINI plug-in hybrid, which has already been delivered to more than 2,700 customers worldwide since it was introduced in June, is particularly exciting,” he continued. Almost one in ten Countryman sold in September was a MINI Cooper S E Countryman ALL4 (fuel consumption in the EU test cycle: 2.3-2.1 litres/100 km, electricity consumption 14 kWh/100 km, CO2 emissions: 52-49 g/km).

The Goodwood-based Rolls-Royce brand delivered 2,343 (-10.7%) cars to customers in the first three quarters of the year. This result takes into account the current absence of Phantom from the market, pending first customer deliveries of New Phantom in January 2018, and challenging market conditions within the global luxury sector in a number of regions around the world. Significant rebalancing of the company’s manufacturing plant in preparation for new models has proceeded throughout this period. New Phantom was unveiled in July in London to worldwide acclaim and already has a strong order book.

BMW Motorrad once again achieved record sales in September, with 14,090 motorbikes and maxi-scooters delivered to customers. This was an increase of 15.3% compared to the previous year. In the first nine months of the year, 127,818 units were delivered to customers – an increase of 10.1% compared to the same period last year.

BMW & MINI sales in the regions/markets at a glance

With the overall market situation remaining volatile in several large markets, the BMW Group continues to focus on achieving profitable, sustainable and balanced growth around the world.

Despite ongoing, significant headwinds in the important UK market, BMW & MINI sales in Europe grew slightly in the first three quarters of the year, with a total of 815,681 (+1.1%) vehicles delivered to customers.

Asia continues to be a significant growth driver for BMW Group sales, with the Chinese market performing particularly strongly. Sales in Asia are up 13.2% (620,287) in the year-to-date.

The ongoing downturn in the US automotive market is reflected in the BMW Group’s figures for the Americas, which in the year-to-date are 3.3% (325,807) below last year’s level.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 9.13.17 AM.jpg
Views: 4409
Size:  94.7 KB

Appreciate 1
1M Tex240.00
      10-13-2017, 12:53 PM   #2
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Electric sales is not the same as PHEV sales.

The i3 non REx is the only Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV) that BMW produces currently.
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2017, 01:49 PM   #3
JorgenM
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: Jag i-Pace and BMW i3

Hybrid sales are not really that interesting are they? What really matters are BEV sales. Unfortunately for now, just the i3.

Here in Norway, many buy a 5 series hybrid just because it's a lot cheaper than a non plug-in 5 series.

520i is USD 70.000
530i xDrive is USD 84.000
530e is "just" USD 72.000

Not sure if it’s the same elsewhere.
Appreciate 2
ORIGIN M.3159.50
lab_rat394.50
      10-13-2017, 01:59 PM   #4
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

^^^ Bingo!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 06:15 PM   #5
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgenM View Post
Here in Norway, many buy a 5 series hybrid just because it's a lot cheaper than a non plug-in 5 series.

Not sure if it's the same elsewhere.
Nope.

The 530e and 530i are both $52,400 in the US.
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2017, 10:51 PM   #6
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

And over 10% of those electric and hybrid BMW are sold in Norway so far this year.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 07:20 AM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

10,000 units world-wide...

Meh.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 01:01 PM   #8
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

BMW Plug-in Vehicle Sales Now Top 10,000 Units Per Month...

Would be the appropriate thread title!
Appreciate 1
mkoesel7505.50
      10-14-2017, 02:49 PM   #9
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgenM View Post
Hybrid sales are not really that interesting are they? What really matters are BEV sales. Unfortunately for now, just the i3.
Both matter. PHEV sales will increase dramatically in the next decade.

But yes, PHEV vehicles don’t count as “Electric Vehicle Sales”. The press release doesn’t call them that, and I’ve tweaked the thread title slightly for clarity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Nope.

The 530e and 530i are both $52,400 in the US.
Even still, the fact that the hybrid can be had for the same price as the comparably powered non-hybrid suggests it is likely subsidized by the gasoline range and thus less profitable.

JorgenM didn’t mention the RWD 530i - not sure if it’s available in Norway, but presumably if it were or is, it would narrow the gap further.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 06:02 PM   #10
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

I'll be far more interested in one when it has an I6 connected to it (like the Active Hybrid 3 used to), until then no thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 01:48 AM   #11
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw View Post
I'll be far more interested in one when it has an I6 connected to it (like the Active Hybrid 3 used to), until then no thanks
I will take a Plug-In M2 CSL..

Same setup as the M4 CSL Concept in Black Thanks very much.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 06:31 AM   #12
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

In the USA the top two EVs vs. the BMW i3:
data source - Good Car Bad Car
Attached Images

A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 06:38 AM   #13
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'll be interested when a NA I6 is connected to it and no electric motor, until then no thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 10:32 AM   #14
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
In the USA the top two EVs vs. the BMW i3:
data source - Good Car Bad Car
Not unexpected - just like any Nissan or Chevrolet commuter car outsells the BMW equivalent.

The more interesting comparison would be vs. a Tesla Model S since its also a luxury car, and in fact is priced much higher than the i3. Although I don't know its monthly sales figures in the US, I suspect it probably sells more than the i3. And that's where BMW has a big opportunity and needs to improve. The Model 3 will only make the disparity grow.

No reason why BMW shouldn't offer a funky hatchback like the i3, but for sure it should be a much lower priority than entires in the segments covered by the Model 3, Model Y, Model S, and Model X. BMW has shown that they have some plans in these segments, but it remains to be seen exactly how they are going to unify the electric versions on their traditional vehicles like the upcoming 3 Series and X3 electric drive models with the i5 and other vehicles coming to the i brand. It all seems a bit weak right now, and they need to get that buttoned up really quick.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 12:37 PM   #15
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Quote:
I'll be interested when a NA I6 is connected to it and no electric motor, until then no thanks
Haha, I think we'd all like to see that but that's even more unlikely. Audi could do with the next round of R8 but I think NA is sadly history in BMW world.

I wonder if, with some clever engineering, not only will electric eliminate turbo lag but there might also be a way to make the top end revs more frantic too with some boost, current BMW turbo petrol I6s are great and torquey but that last 20% of the rev range is not as fun as it used to be. Having said that as much as I loved driving the 330i the lack of torque and amount of petrol it drank when it was exciting was a proper dampener on things.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 04:45 AM   #16
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Not unexpected - just like any Nissan or Chevrolet commuter car outsells the BMW equivalent.

The more interesting comparison would be vs. a Tesla Model S since its also a luxury car, and in fact is priced much higher than the i3. Although I don't know its monthly sales figures in the US, I suspect it probably sells more than the i3. And that's where BMW has a big opportunity and needs to improve. The Model 3 will only make the disparity grow.

No reason why BMW shouldn't offer a funky hatchback like the i3, but for sure it should be a much lower priority than entires in the segments covered by the Model 3, Model Y, Model S, and Model X. BMW has shown that they have some plans in these segments, but it remains to be seen exactly how they are going to unify the electric versions on their traditional vehicles like the upcoming 3 Series and X3 electric drive models with the i5 and other vehicles coming to the i brand. It all seems a bit weak right now, and they need to get that buttoned up really quick.
I think it's an incorrect comparison to pit the i3 as some sort of luxury EV. Okay, so it has a artfully styled interior, and uses some non-traditional materials, but the design is funky and the rear opening doors are not any more advantageous to enter/exit the vehicle. It uses body-on-frame construction, which is no new advent in progress of car design. It uses carbon fiber as a construction material, but when looked at on a range per weight ratio really isn't any grand achievement. But what it is comparable to, the Bolt at least, is in MSRP, and the top line LEAF starts at 36K, so price-class wise, all three cars are comparable IMO. The i3 sells at half the volume of the others. The i3 is BMW's on true EV (battery EV). The other BMW "electrics" are gas cars with electric drive meshed in.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 10:08 AM   #17
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think it's an incorrect comparison to pit the i3 as some sort of luxury EV.
But that's exactly what it is - a luxury product from a luxury manufacturer.

BMW has lots of vehicles that happen to be priced near non-luxury products. A 3 Series and X1 start at under 35k, and there are plenty of comparable small sedans and small SUVs from non-luxury makes that are priced in that range. Luxury products are not designed to compete in sales volume against non-premium products, even when they are priced similarly and don't necessarily offer higher end features, materials, and construction as compared to those products. That's objectively true - that's the nature of the luxury economic model.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 02:09 PM   #18
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

so this is as many or more than Tesla.
      10-16-2017, 04:06 PM   #19
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
But that's exactly what it is - a luxury product from a luxury manufacturer.

BMW has lots of vehicles that happen to be priced near non-luxury products. A 3 Series and X1 start at under 35k, and there are plenty of comparable small sedans and small SUVs from non-luxury makes that are priced in that range. Luxury products are not designed to compete in sales volume against non-premium products, even when they are priced similarly and don't necessarily offer higher end features, materials, and construction as compared to those products. That's objectively true - that's the nature of the luxury economic model.
Yet the 3 series is used as police cars and taxi cabs the world over. Luxury...

The point is the i3 is a few thousand more than the Bolt, yet sells at half the unit volume. It certainly couldn't be the Bolt gets twice the range for less price...
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2017, 04:39 PM   #20
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yet the 3 series is used as police cars and taxi cabs the world over. Luxury...
It is a luxury car in the US, just as every other car in its segment is, just as every other vehicle from it and its competing German, Japanese, American luxury brands are. We won't debate that point further in this thread because it will unnecessarily derails the discussion, however, there are many past ones you can find if you'd like to revisit it and add your opinion.

Quote:
The point is the i3 is a few thousand more than the Bolt, yet sells at half the unit volume.
Right, just like a 33k 320i compared to a 30k family car. It's a false positive. Yes there is correlation but not causation. The 320i is not designed to compete for family car sales volume.

Quote:
It certainly couldn't be the Bolt gets twice the range for less price...
Sure, the Bolt has better features since it is a newer car. But, future BMW electric vehicles, including future versions of the i3, even if/when they match or beat the range of technology leaders, will still not sell in the volume of a similar non-luxury product. Again, this is absolutely by design. Premium vehicles require some degree of exclusivity - chasing mainstream vehicle sales is by the very nature of the beast explicitly not part of the business plan. Competing for market share and or sales against other luxury manufacturers is what they are designed to do.

Before the Bolt existed, the i3 still did not sell in the numbers the Leaf does and that vehicle has similar range compared to the i3.

No doubt the i3 needs to improve its technology, yes. But it does not need to do so because it is selling less than a non-luxury car. It needs to do so because it is selling less than higher priced luxury products from Tesla.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 05:35 AM   #21
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It is a luxury car in the US, just as every other car in its segment is, just as every other vehicle from it and its competing German, Japanese, American luxury brands are. We won't debate that point further in this thread because it will unnecessarily derails the discussion, however, there are many past ones you can find if you'd like to revisit it and add your opinion.
What makes it luxury? It has eucalyptus wood on the dash and hemp door panels and recycled plastic LDPE seat material? I've been in both cars, driven both cars. GM erred in the seat design of the Bolt for sure. Both cars have pretty much the same level of equipment. The bolt is larger inside, and gets way better range, and is lightweight.

You write like it is some boutique car or something and only a privileged few can obtain it (or want it apparently), when in reality it's not that big of a success; it's just more hype from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 09:19 AM   #22
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What makes it luxury?
I've already explained it very clearly, so let's please leave it there and allow the thread to stay on topic. Thanks for the discussion.

Quote:
in reality it's not that big of a success;
We agree. BMW needs to improve the i3 as well as not only their electric and electrified vehicle lineup as a whole, but the branding and message surrounding them. We'll see if they can make some improvements in 2018.
Appreciate 0