New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-21-2013, 11:33 PM   #67
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
So man, your last comment is so ironic.
you know what's ironic? that this is the most popular thread on our forum right now
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 11:49 PM   #68
williakz
Banned
Rep
Drives: Lexus LS460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazykoh View Post
Just to be clear (albeit off topic), the culture he is talking about is related to his heritage. Getting a high end sports car as a gift at graduation is in no way part of medical culture. But I don't think that's what you were trying to say.
Sorry to step on your digiti pedis, doc. I said medical "culture," not medical culture. I fully understand the centrality of heritage to the OP. The kid on CL was also of a similar heritage (likely the same one) and the same career track. People of traditional American culture tend to read into these threads a destructive parental overindulgence that results in offspring possessing an intensely self-referential worldview, an overblown sense of entitlement, and a shocking callousness regarding the struggles of most other people. I am one of those traditional Americans.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 12:10 AM   #69
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepittrill View Post
Honestly, I didn't get this car for the looks, status, or to get girls. I got it because I genuinely love driving and i love cars. And hopefully this won't be the nicest car I'll be driving in the next 10 years. The thing with me, is that I'm of a certain race. And in our culture, our parents pretty much pay for everything until we get into residency, and sometimes even up until we start practicing.(The Medical profession is the only profession for us, I'm afraid.) For example, my Uncle just got my cousin an R8 for him becoming Chief resident. Now he's doing some sort of fellowship or something at Harvard. (Not exactly sure what he's doing there, actually. I think it's his interventional cardiology fellowship.) Its a foreign concept to most people, they think we're "spoiled", but that's just our culture.
If that's the case then I feel you bro. You got stuck with a Z4 3.0 when you obviously should have gotten at least a 911 since you love driving so much. I guess your uncle has more money than your dad and that's fine, your so called spoiled "culture" is still considered rich in some places in the world. You also mentioned that "Honestly, I didn't get this car for the looks, status, or to get girls. I got it because I genuinely love driving and i love cars. " WRONG CAR BUD, you should have probably did some research on L4P or at least pose this complaint about 3.0 or 35i on there. This car is about 90% for looks. Status? Depends on which part of the world you live in. To not get girls with this car would be a sin. Regardless of its status this car is a chick magnet, ok maybe cuz they wanna drive it so much lol.

But hey, in all honesty, coming from Vancouver Canada, I do feel you. I just wish I had a rich dad that would cover all my expenses till I got a steady job/career. Life is life and we don't get to choose the lifestyle or parents when growing up. If you really loved cars and driving, a miata would blow your mind. Your 3.0 is fine for now, maybe bitch about it a little more in a year to your dad and move up to an 458 or sth. That will show your uncle who's boss. Im sure your dad will like the idea of who's son has a nicer car.
      04-22-2013, 12:30 AM   #70
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
you know what's ironic? that this is the most popular thread on our forum right now
Well, this isn't exactly a high volume forum, such as our cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
If that's the case then I feel you bro. You got stuck with a Z4 3.0 when you obviously should have gotten at least a 911 since you love driving so much. I guess your uncle has more money than your dad and that's fine, your so called spoiled "culture" is still considered rich in some places in the world. You also mentioned that "Honestly, I didn't get this car for the looks, status, or to get girls. I got it because I genuinely love driving and i love cars. " WRONG CAR BUD, you should have probably did some research on L4P or at least pose this complaint about 3.0 or 35i on there. This car is about 90% for looks. Status? Depends on which part of the world you live in. To not get girls with this car would be a sin. Regardless of its status this car is a chick magnet, ok maybe cuz they wanna drive it so much lol.

But hey, in all honesty, coming from Vancouver Canada, I do feel you. I just wish I had a rich dad that would cover all my expenses till I got a steady job/career. Life is life and we don't get to choose the lifestyle or parents when growing up. If you really loved cars and driving, a miata would blow your mind. Your 3.0 is fine for now, maybe bitch about it a little more in a year to your dad and move up to an 458 or sth. That will show your uncle who's boss. Im sure your dad will like the idea of who's son has a nicer car.
Bawhwhhaha, oh man....
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 12:50 AM   #71
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Daddy-bought" 2010 Z4

1. I get it, it pisses me off when I see 8 year olds with iPhones when I didn't get a phone until I was 13. Same concept. I get why some of you are mad.
2. Calm down, everyone. Haha
3. The "not tooooo douchey" thing was a joke, but I forget you guys have a sense of humor much different from mine.
4. If your father offered you a nice car at your graduation, would you have said no?
5. Some of you guys crack me up.
6. I truly wanted to tell you guys what I thought about the power in the 30i, I wasn't trying to bitch and moan about anything.
7. If I needed a car to get girls, I'd honestly just give up on life. Haha
8. If you're mad at me, I'm so sorry I didn't ask for a shitty car and to get kicked out of the house into a shitty apartment.
9. Screw the "American dream". I hate to say it, but the traditional values are dead. Have you SEEN my generation? Take a good look at us.
10. You mad?

Oh, and thank you to the serious replies, you guys have actually been really helpful. And to everyone who is acting personally affronted, keep commenting. They say laughter adds a day to your lifespan. At the rate you guys are going, I'll be immortal!

And someone should send me a link to that clublexus thread, I'd love to read those comments as well!

Last edited by keepittrill; 04-22-2013 at 12:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 01:13 AM   #72
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

BTW OP, any pics of your new ride?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 01:16 AM   #73
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep

Honestly, I'll put some up tomorrow. I don't even care about the dust at this point. Even with it being garaged, it accumulates SO much dust. Expect pics tomorrow!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 01:54 AM   #74
williakz
Banned
Rep

Quote:
And someone should send me a link to that clublexus thread, I'd love to read those comments as well!
The Problem

The Resolution
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 02:16 AM   #75
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
There was a similar thread on 6speed recently as well that got shut down pretty quickly. Supposedly it was a school project for a kid in Malaysia that he had to play Internet troll.
      04-22-2013, 03:02 AM   #76
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
There was a similar thread on 6speed recently as well that got shut down pretty quickly.
As should this thread.

Mind you, I think OP made a fair comment. Responses just got quickly out of line.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 05:41 AM   #77
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Yep, I'm done with this one. Outta here.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 06:51 AM   #78
Crazykoh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Mineral White

Garage List
2018 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by williakz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazykoh View Post
Just to be clear (albeit off topic), the culture he is talking about is related to his heritage. Getting a high end sports car as a gift at graduation is in no way part of medical culture. But I don't think that's what you were trying to say.
Sorry to step on your digiti pedis, doc. I said medical "culture," not medical culture. I fully understand the centrality of heritage to the OP. The kid on CL was also of a similar heritage (likely the same one) and the same career track. People of traditional American culture tend to read into these threads a destructive parental overindulgence that results in offspring possessing an intensely self-referential worldview, an overblown sense of entitlement, and a shocking callousness regarding the struggles of most other people. I am one of those traditional Americans.
We're on the same page.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 07:21 AM   #79
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

First and foremost everything is relative. Getting 5 year old car, be it that it may a Z4 for graduation is still a 5 year old car. To some it seems excessive as it took them years to get a car of their own, to others it seems petty as they have had a brand new 35is since they were 16 and their drivers license, not some petty 5 year old heaven forbid non tubro car. Point is its ridiculousness which ever point of you you use as you look at it subjectively. Objectively, its 18 year old receives 5 year old car for graduation. Blowing it up either direction isn't very productive.

In short nobody should care OP got a 30k car. It happens a 1000 times a day in the US where a kid gets a car on graduation. MANY of those are worth more than 30k.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #80
Yeggman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 s3.0i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by VailM3 View Post
First and foremost everything is relative. Getting 5 year old car, be it that it may a Z4 for graduation is still a 5 year old car. To some it seems excessive as it took them years to get a car of their own, to others it seems petty as they have had a brand new 35is since they were 16 and their drivers license, not some petty 5 year old heaven forbid non tubro car. Point is its ridiculousness which ever point of you you use as you look at it subjectively. Objectively, its 18 year old receives 5 year old car for graduation. Blowing it up either direction isn't very productive.

In short nobody should care OP got a 30k car. It happens a 1000 times a day in the US where a kid gets a car on graduation. MANY of those are worth more than 30k.
I agree. OP sounds like an excellent student, focused on a career in Medicine. I'm going to take an educated guess and speculate that he has never been in any serious trouble, and is respectful of his parents. I also suspect that his parents reward him for outstanding performance in school, but would also drop the hammer on him if he made a serious screw up.

All sounds good to me. Let's see some photos of the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #81
Vbar
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeggman View Post
Thanks, never a problem. Next time you're in the Stuart, Florida area, lunch is on me.
Sounds good to me, will be in Florida in a couple of months.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #82
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep

5 years old? It was a 2010...3 years old...well, since they usually start selling the year before their model number, I guess it could be 4 years old. Could my parents have bought me a 2014 Sdrive35is? Absolutely. Would they? Not after my sister totaled her brand new IS350 within 6 months. She didn't end hp spoiled and unable to fend for herself. She went to a reputable 6 year Med program and is currently in residency. She would argue that having nice things has motivated her to KEEP ON GOING in order to be able to provide the same nice things for her kids. Whatever, anyway, the point is that everyone usually gets a reward for doing something that their parents ask of them. That reward is always within the parents means. (Not always , but usually.) My dad had the cash, I did what was asked of me and they got me the car. Plain and simple. Yeah, they could have made me get a job to try to make the payments, but why pay interest? (The car was bought on cash) And yeah, I suppose one could argue that I shouldn't get anything for graduation because im SUPPOSED to graduate. I also have never had a grade below A in high school, I'm graduating with a projected 4.3 GPA. (Actually, I got a C Junior year. Whatever, it was Ceramics, unimportant haha) My parents aren't paying a cent for my college. So why not? Should I reward myself for all the hard work by driving a junker? Should I ignore the fact that I was never allowed to really participate in the social aspect of high school? Did anyone here go to their Prom? Yeah, I didn't. I wasn't allowed. I feel like the car was a good trade-off for every experience I have not been allowed to have. Say what you need to say, but that's my opinion. Yeah, I complained a little about the power. So? It's not like I marched up to my parents and told them that I hate the car. No, I just wanted to get some opinions on what you guys think of the power in your respective vehicles. Should I have mentioned how I got the car? I think not. But should it matter? At the end of the day, were all here because we want to be apart of a community of individuals who share a similar passion. I have to say, I'm "a little disappointed" in this community. Have a great day, guys. Sorry if I offended.

Last edited by keepittrill; 04-22-2013 at 10:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #83
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Well, if one looks at this whole thread objectively, the OP does come across to be somewhat of an ingrate (not that he is or is not, it just appears to be that way on the net...however, he did have an inkling that he might be as he said it himself). Yes, I agree it's irrelevant how he got the car, his backgrd, etc, so he shouldn't put it out there if it's extraneous info, or else someone's bound to comment about it: that post about his 'culture'/medical destiny was waaay out there...I dunno what to say but saying that it's totally inappropriate for this forum is an understatement.

I personally don't care if OP got a brand new Ferrari as a grad gift, good for him; I didn't bother to comment on his 'extraneous' info either. I don't think that anyone here actually showed any disdain for the guy getting this car, but, rather, his attitude. What I don't get is that he is a self-professed amazing student/intelligent guy but he didn't know immediately upon driving the various trim levels that there is a big power difference between the non/turbos?

Community is a 2-way street, you get what you give. To be fair, if one rereads everything in this thread, it's hard to say that the forum decided to just jump him out of nowhere and w/o any provocation. He may actually be a nice guy in real life, but he just needs to tone down the rhetoric online, it's a car forum(!), that's it. No need to go on too much about the other stuff, esp when it doesn't lend anything to the topic and only casts one in a disparaging light.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #84
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, if one looks at this whole thread objectively, the OP does come across to be somewhat of an ingrate (not that he is or is not, it just appears to be that way on the net...however, he did have an inkling that he might be as he said it himself). Yes, I agree it's irrelevant how he got the car, his backgrd, etc, so he shouldn't put it out there if it's extraneous info, or else someone's bound to comment about it: that post about his 'culture'/medical destiny was waaay out there...I dunno what to say but saying that it's totally inappropriate for this forum is an understatement.

I personally don't care if OP got a brand new Ferrari as a grad gift, good for him; I didn't bother to comment on his 'extraneous' info either. I don't think that anyone here actually showed any disdain for the guy getting this car, but, rather, his attitude. What I don't get is that he is a self-professed amazing student/intelligent guy but he didn't know immediately upon driving the various trim levels that there is a big power difference between the non/turbos?

Community is a 2-way street, you get what you give. To be fair, if one rereads everything in this thread, it's hard to say that the forum decided to just jump him out of nowhere and w/o any provocation. He may actually be a nice guy in real life, but he just needs to tone down the rhetoric online, it's a car forum(!), that's it. No need to go on too much about the other stuff, esp when it doesn't lend anything to the topic and only casts one in a disparaging light.
Yeah, it does take two hands to clap.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #85
williakz
Banned
Rep

Quote:
...it's irrelevant how he got the car, his backgrd, etc, so he shouldn't put it out there if it's extraneous info...
The world has changed. These kids are brought up swimming in social media where EVERYTHING is disclosed to EVERYBODY. Want to know how solid your relationship with your girlfriend is, you check her reported relationship status on her Facebook page. If you're FBO ("Facebook Official), you're in, if not you've been dumped and better start looking. It is incredible that traditional boundaries between the private and the public are not just disintegrating - THEY ARE GONE! The OP kid, and most of his cohort, simply don't understand what we - most of us that is - are objecting to. They are used to hanging everything out there and demanding, like every one else, to be accepted for "who I am." Yecchh!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #86
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by williakz View Post
The world has changed. These kids are brought up swimming in social media where EVERYTHING is disclosed to EVERYBODY. Want to know how solid your relationship with your girlfriend is, you check her reported relationship status on her Facebook page. If you're FBO ("Facebook Official), you're in, if not you've been dumped and better start looking. It is incredible that traditional boundaries between the private and the public are not just disintegrating - THEY ARE GONE! The OP kid, and most of his cohort, simply don't understand what we - most of us that is - are objecting to. They are used to hanging everything out there and demanding, like every one else, to be accepted for "who I am." Yecchh!
I think you're generalizing a bit. You cant just just lump us all together into a "cohort". If you check my Facebook, I've got the minimum amount of information on there. I've used an e-mail that I made specifically for my Facebook. I've never demanded to be accepted either? Not sure what you were tying to insinuate with that post, to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #87
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Mods its time to lock this thread so we can get back to talking about z4s and not the OP be it negatively or positively. For all our sake just lock this thread.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 01:58 PM   #88
Vbar
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive35i

Quote:
I think you're generalizing a bit. You cant just just lump us all together into a "cohort". If you check my Facebook, I've got the minimum amount of information on there. I've used an e-mail that I made specifically for my Facebook. I've never demanded to be accepted either? Not sure what you were tying to insinuate with that post, to be honest.

Has driving it in sport mode changed your outlook of the car, even a bit?
Appreciate 0