New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
cuddapah
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i

AC Shutdown again

2011 BMW Z4 35i ...
I have an appointment scheduled for 'Chassis Stabiiization Malfunction' issue for tomorrow 07/16. This evening when I started the car, AC didn't work. I called Service Manager and dropped off the car in that state. Service Manager verified AC is not working.

This happened a few times in the past. I read several posts here, posted myself about this issue. For 'Engine Malfunction' after 3 times, service center replaced some fuel pump or something. After that I didn't notice any AC issues until today. Sent a msg to BMW NA from here and also called them. I was advised to work with the service manager ! They also told me to think over and call them back if I know of any resolution !

Any 2013 or 2014 Z4s have this infamous issue ?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Are you talking about this issue?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
cuddapah
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Yep .. same issue. Reset may help. But it is not a fix. I will follow up with the service manager tomorrow. Either the service techs should find out what the issue is or reach out the BMW techs.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuddapah View Post
Yep .. same issue. Reset may help. But it is not a fix. I will follow up with the service manager tomorrow. Either the service techs should find out what the issue is or reach out the BMW techs.
Read the entire thread, I 'invented' the T-Fix. No prbs if you do that. Best solution so far unless/until BMW actually fixes this prb.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #5
cuddapah
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Read the entire thread, I 'invented' the T-Fix. No prbs if you do that. Best solution so far unless/until BMW actually fixes this prb.
I read about your fix (T-Fix) in another thread. Can't do this every other day ... I wonder if BMW even knows about the issue ... if they do, does it take more than 2 years to come up with a fix ?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #6
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Can you lemon it?

Engine malfunction 3 times could be grounds for lemoning on its own.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #7
cuddapah
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Can you lemon it?

Engine malfunction 3 times could be grounds for lemoning on its own.
I have to check the state laws .. will talk with attorney tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I read about your fix (T-Fix) in another thread. Can't do this every other day ... I wonder if BMW even knows about the issue ... if they do, does it take more than 2 years to come up with a fix ?
I know it sucks to do it not according to as planned, but to start up the car pressing the button first instead of the pedal is not a biggie imho. Unfortunately, at least my dealer and several other members' here know about this issue but so far no fix. However, it should be a clue to those electronically-inclined because the T-Fix works flawlessly, so something to do w/ the circuitry? No idea, I'm not a techie. I think that the key is to have this HVAC prb occur and to drive IMMEDIATELY to the dealer to have it checked out w/o switching off the engine. So far, no one has been able to have this happen.

Re engine malfunction, I assume that is another issue vs the HVAC prb.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #9
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
I think that the key is to have this HVAC prb occur and to drive IMMEDIATELY to the dealer to have it checked out w/o switching off the engine. So far, no one has been able to have this happen.
I had that happen... During a road trip. Unfortunately, it wasn't 'my' dealer. After they did a module reset, it worked again. We wanted to get back on the road, so weren't interested too much in them spending a whole lot of time.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #10
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
After they did a module reset, it worked again
What is a "module" reset and how is it performed?

Is that like rebooting a certain part of the car through the software using a diagnostic tool hooked up to the car?

If so, a part of me longs for the "analog" days when HVAC was a simple on/off button for the compressor, a dial for mixing hot and cold air and a 4 position switch for fan speed.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #11
cuddapah
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know it sucks to do it not according to as planned, but to start up the car pressing the button first instead of the pedal is not a biggie imho. Unfortunately, at least my dealer and several other members' here know about this issue but so far no fix. However, it should be a clue to those electronically-inclined because the T-Fix works flawlessly, so something to do w/ the circuitry? No idea, I'm not a techie. I think that the key is to have this HVAC prb occur and to drive IMMEDIATELY to the dealer to have it checked out w/o switching off the engine. So far, no one has been able to have this happen.

Re engine malfunction, I assume that is another issue vs the HVAC prb.
I didn't have this AC problem recently. So didn't bother to hit the button first.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #12
cuddapah
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I still don't understand what BMW NA meant by 'how do you want to resolve ?', 'Think about it and give us a call back'. I asked them if they can send their tech, have their tech call the local tech ... their response, 'if you want the vehicle fixed, work with the service manager. He knows how to reach out to us. If you want to resolve another way, give us a call'. But wouldn't tell me what are the other ways. So, once every two weeks I have to go and work with the service manager. Regarding lemon, they said it depends on state laws.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #13
vasmir
eh
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 M, 2016 F25

I've had the AC issue occur 3x since taking delivery May 2012.
Twice before dealer "conducted repair" (two months into ownership) and once afterwards (more than year). In all cases the car resumed normal operations the next day.

Not sure about your particular state, but I did lookup NJ lemon laws (where I bought mine). Needs to be a malfunction effecting safety or drivability, or significantly degrades resale value, which cannot be repaired by a certified shop after 3 occurrences. You also have to be within 1 year of a "standard" manufacturer warranty, or either 2 or 3 years of an "extended warranty".

It's been a few months since I've read it (problem hasn't come up in a while), but the NJ lemon law paperwork was included with the sales paperwork. I'm sure it's easily located online for most everyone's state.

So yeah... I recommend searching for your state's lemon laws, and documenting! Take video and tell the dealer about each occurrence if you're considering using the lemon law.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 12:34 AM   #14
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I still don't understand what BMW NA meant by 'how do you want to resolve ?', 'Think about it and give us a call back'.

If you want to resolve another way, give us a call'. But wouldn't tell me what are the other ways.
Lucky guy, it sounds like BMW NA is giving you an open invitation to have them buy back your car! Seems like you don't need to lawyer up and they want to work with you on this.

Call them back and say "I would like you to resolve this by buying back the car from me"

A friend in CA who got his 335 and 535 lemoned for turbo issues mentioned to me that they prorated the buyback based on when the issue first occurred. i.e. if it happened a month or two after you bought it, you get almost all your money back.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 05:24 AM   #15
cuddapah
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lucky guy, it sounds like BMW NA is giving you an open invitation to have them buy back your car! Seems like you don't need to lawyer up and they want to work with you on this.

Call them back and say "I would like you to resolve this by buying back the car from me"

A friend in CA who got his 335 and 535 lemoned for turbo issues mentioned to me that they prorated the buyback based on when the issue first occurred. i.e. if it happened a month or two after you bought it, you get almost all your money back.
335 and 535 ? Sounds like BMW is having serious quality issues. No wonder they keep sending flyers for their 'get a new BMW and keep payments almost the same'.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 07:43 AM   #16
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

Interesting thread, both of them. I had this happen to me 2 weeks ago during autox. I assumed it was an overheat issue as we ran consecutive runs, about 10 total in 90 degree weather when the ac failed.

I assumed it was over heating because I can feel the faintest heat coming from the vents.

After numerous restarts attempts it still did not work.

After my last run I popped open the hood to help her cool down. You could see the heat rushing out, the "waves" . It really worked with in 30 min. Ac turned on with out any problem.

Just curious how many other members had ac fail during spirited driving, hot weather- long drives.

Maybe this is 2 events? Some are due to over heat and others are the module? Just a thought....
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 08:28 AM   #17
cuddapah
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1981 View Post
Interesting thread, both of them. I had this happen to me 2 weeks ago during autox. I assumed it was an overheat issue as we ran consecutive runs, about 10 total in 90 degree weather when the ac failed.

I assumed it was over heating because I can feel the faintest heat coming from the vents.

After numerous restarts attempts it still did not work.

After my last run I popped open the hood to help her cool down. You could see the heat rushing out, the "waves" . It really worked with in 30 min. Ac turned on with out any problem.

Just curious how many other members had ac fail during spirited driving, hot weather- long drives.

Maybe this is 2 events? Some are due to over heat and others are the module? Just a thought....
I am in Jacksonville, FL. It is hot ... around 85F yesterday and rained a little bit before I got into the car. I am also thinking it may be heat issue because we noticed that when it is hot and after a little drive, when I lock the car, the chirp (lock confirmation) sounds a little different than normal times.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 09:40 AM   #18
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
335 and 535 ? Sounds like BMW is having serious quality issues.
He was unlucky in that he got those two cars with issues but also lucky because he ended up having use of each car for 1-2 years depreciation free.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #19
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

You guys are so lucky with your lemon laws... we have nothing like that in EU.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #20
cuddapah
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Good news ... I just checked with Service Manager. It seems the AC is still not working. In the past the AC worked after turning off the car for 30mnts. They found some codes stored in the car ! Right now, they are working on 'Chassis Stabilization Malfunction' issue. Maybe both the issues are connected. We will know more later in the day.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #21
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

Awesome to finally get some info. Any idea of which codes?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #22
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
What is a "module" reset and how is it performed?

Is that like rebooting a certain part of the car through the software using a diagnostic tool hooked up to the car?

If so, a part of me longs for the "analog" days when HVAC was a simple on/off button for the compressor, a dial for mixing hot and cold air and a 4 position switch for fan speed.
Sorry, no idea. We were eager to get back on the road and they just advised me to tell my regular dealer that they did a module reset to get it back. They did check the fuse first, but that wasn't the issue.
Appreciate 0