New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-15-2015, 02:46 PM   #23
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy
Neither of my motorcycles are air cooled (2009 Ducati 848 and 2004 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R). The problem with sport bikes like these is the emphasis on doing just enough to make it work all in the name of performance and weight reduction. Neither of these motorcycles will survive heavy stop and go traffic. Riding in this mess of DC Metro area traffic, I have had times where I needed to either pull off the road to let my bike cool down or duck walk the bike till traffic was moving with the bike shut off. The radiators are not very big in relation to how much heat these superbike engines give off.

With that said, I would never lane split with the typical idiot cager on the road. In my personal opinion, it's more dangerous than sitting behind cars in your lane. I got into a conversation about this with the head riding coach for California Superbike School about lane splitting. He said even though it's legal in California, he won't do it. Too risky in his mind. That says something coming from a guy who clicks off lap times almost as fast as the pro racers around any of the tracks they run their school at.
You bring up a great point. Splitting lanes is extremely dangerous for a biker because a driver may have to dodge a pothole or road debris at a split second, and hit a biker on accident. And of course, the all too common distracted driver that doesn't use signals, or even the envious driver who decides to now "race " a motorcycle because they got passed by a bike.

I am familiar with the traffic conditions in DC, and driving conditions are pretty much the same in NY. You said it, stop and go traffic is murder on bikes like ours, so I admit that I do take the risk of either unfortunately meeting head to head with a distracted driver, and or the risk of getting a ticket by splitting lanes .

I do limit myself though. If traffic is flowing, and moving at 30 MPH or more, I will relax and go with the flow of traffic for the most part. If traffic is moving at less than 30 MPH, then I do start splitting lanes to avoid my bike over heating, and of course, bypass traffic because I can.

I understand that wrong is wrong, but that distracted driver causing the delay in traffic is wrong as well. I know 2 wrongs don't make a right either, lol but hey, none of us are squeaky clean, are we...?
      06-15-2015, 03:45 PM   #24
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

I wonder how many riders blew past this checkpoint?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 03:46 PM   #25
daonlyillwiz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB335d View Post
I wonder how many riders blew past this checkpoint?
Honestly, I wouldn't have pulled over.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 03:54 PM   #26
rr006rbc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M440i GC

It's nice to be able to split lanes here in Los Angeles, CA; it really is. But only nice until you get nailed by a Ford Ranger and it sends you flying 100 ft sliding down the interstate. Ask me how I know.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2015, 06:12 PM   #27
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr006rbc View Post
It's nice to be able to split lanes here in Los Angeles, CA; it really is. But only nice until you get nailed by a Ford Ranger and it sends you flying 100 ft sliding down the interstate. Ask me how I know.
*ouch!*
      06-15-2015, 06:28 PM   #28
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
You bring up a great point. Splitting lanes is extremely dangerous for a biker because a driver may have to dodge a pothole or road debris at a split second, and hit a biker on accident. And of course, the all too common distracted driver that doesn't use signals, or even the envious driver who decides to now "race " a motorcycle because they got passed by a bike.

I am familiar with the traffic conditions in DC, and driving conditions are pretty much the same in NY. You said it, stop and go traffic is murder on bikes like ours, so I admit that I do take the risk of either unfortunately meeting head to head with a distracted driver, and or the risk of getting a ticket by splitting lanes .

I do limit myself though. If traffic is flowing, and moving at 30 MPH or more, I will relax and go with the flow of traffic for the most part. If traffic is moving at less than 30 MPH, then I do start splitting lanes to avoid my bike over heating, and of course, bypass traffic because I can.

I understand that wrong is wrong, but that distracted driver causing the delay in traffic is wrong as well. I know 2 wrongs don't make a right either, lol but hey, none of us are squeaky clean, are we...?
It's really tough dealing with the lowest common denominator licensing system we have here in the US. I'm not passing judgement. Just stating my opinion on lane splitting and that of my riding coach.

What's interesting was the statement of one of the staff at the BMW UDE event I attended. He said every driver should first learn how to ride a motorcycle before getting a license to drive a car.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 07:23 AM   #29
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

It's really tough dealing with the lowest common denominator licensing system we have here in the US. I'm not passing judgement. Just stating my opinion on lane splitting and that of my riding coach.

What's interesting was the statement of one of the staff at the BMW UDE event I attended. He said every driver should first learn how to ride a motorcycle before getting a license to drive a car.
I agree with you 100%. When I was stationed in Germany, it was then I realized that a drivers license should be earned... not "bought" like it is here in the states.

In the US basically anyone can obtain a driver's license as long as the can afford the fees. That is just ridiculous in my opinion.

I also agree that everyone should first learn how to operate a motorcycle safely and get familiar with navigating the roads and highway on a motorcycle first, before "graduating " to the next level of operating a car. Drivers would have a new found respect for driving etiquette and safety if that were the case.

I plan on finally attached the BMW motorcycle course in Atlantic City this summer. A friend of mine has the details, so I'm not sure if it's the same team that instructs at the the California Superbike Course, but I'm very excited to learn some new skills, and gain more experience to help stay safe and keep the rubber side down.
      06-16-2015, 08:05 AM   #30
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I agree with you 100%. When I was stationed in Germany, it was then I realized that a drivers license should be earned... not "bought" like it is here in the states.

In the US basically anyone can obtain a driver's license as long as the can afford the fees. That is just ridiculous in my opinion.

I also agree that everyone should first learn how to operate a motorcycle safely and get familiar with navigating the roads and highway on a motorcycle first, before "graduating " to the next level of operating a car. Drivers would have a new found respect for driving etiquette and safety if that were the case.

I plan on finally attached the BMW motorcycle course in Atlantic City this summer. A friend of mine has the details, so I'm not sure if it's the same team that instructs at the the California Superbike Course, but I'm very excited to learn some new skills, and gain more experience to help stay safe and keep the rubber side down.
With regards to people qualifying first on a motorcycle before a car, I always tell people anyone who can operate a motorcycle can operate a car. But the reverse is not true. Things you learn to do such as visuals and looking where you want/need to go are important in motorcycling and can mean the difference between getting around safely or crashing/dying.

I don't know of anything the CSS team is doing at Atlantic City. The only place I know they're running is at NJMP at Thunderbolt. And yes, any instruction/coaching you can get is always valuable. I always find it funny that many sportbike riders always complain they need more power, yet can't even ride to the capabilities of their bike in stock trim. I find the added power is a crutch to make them faster in a straight line to make up for being slow in the corners.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 09:33 AM   #31
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

With regards to people qualifying first on a motorcycle before a car, I always tell people anyone who can operate a motorcycle can operate a car. But the reverse is not true. Things you learn to do such as visuals and looking where you want/need to go are important in motorcycling and can mean the difference between getting around safely or crashing/dying.

I don't know of anything the CSS team is doing at Atlantic City. The only place I know they're running is at NJMP at Thunderbolt. And yes, any instruction/coaching you can get is always valuable. I always find it funny that many sportbike riders always complain they need more power, yet can't even ride to the capabilities of their bike in stock trim. I find the added power is a crutch to make them faster in a straight line to make up for being slow in the corners.
My mistake. You are right about Thunderbolt. My friend and I were talking about going to Atlantic City with the girls as a kind of double date weekend... but we switched it to go to thunderbolt for the course.

I know what you mean about people who are obsessed with gaining power, but have no idea on how to use that power correctly.

I am far from an expert, but with the knowledge I have gained from the MSF Courses, practicing those skills on the NY streets and years of driving experience, I know how to have fun without extending myself past my current abilities.

That is why I am excited about hitting the track and learning some new techniques at Thunderbolt this summer. I had an S1000rr for over two years before it was stolen. Even though my current bike is the sexist thing on 2 wheels (my humble opinion, of course ) then BMW was the best bike I have ever had. Really looking forward to learning more this summer.

I think I will try your advice and see what it feels like to lay off the lane splitting to see how that works out. Shutting the bike off and walking her in stop and go traffic might be a bit frustrating at first, but you were right about the risks, and we all know it takes just one time for the fun to end.

Good thing I'm into fitness... gonna get some strong quads and core muscles walking my bike for a couple miles here and there, lol
      06-16-2015, 10:11 AM   #32
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
My mistake. You are right about Thunderbolt. My friend and I were talking about going to Atlantic City with the girls as a kind of double date weekend... but we switched it to go to thunderbolt for the course.

I know what you mean about people who are obsessed with gaining power, but have no idea on how to use that power correctly.

I am far from an expert, but with the knowledge I have gained from the MSF Courses, practicing those skills on the NY streets and years of driving experience, I know how to have fun without extending myself past my current abilities.

That is why I am excited about hitting the track and learning some new techniques at Thunderbolt this summer. I had an S1000rr for over two years before it was stolen. Even though my current bike is the sexist thing on 2 wheels (my humble opinion, of course ) then BMW was the best bike I have ever had. Really looking forward to learning more this summer.

I think I will try your advice and see what it feels like to lay off the lane splitting to see how that works out. Shutting the bike off and walking her in stop and go traffic might be a bit frustrating at first, but you were right about the risks, and we all know it takes just one time for the fun to end.

Good thing I'm into fitness... gonna get some strong quads and core muscles walking my bike for a couple miles here and there, lol
You're going to love it. CSS is a top notch school. You'll quickly see that they've been doing this a long time. Everything is run like a well oiled machine. Are you doing the one day camp or the two day camp? I did a one day and the two day camp a few weeks ago at VIR. I've been thinking about trying Thunderbolt as that track is about the same driving distance for me as VIR. Sounds like this is the first time for you with CSS. You'll be in Level 1. But don't let that throw you. There are some stupid fast riders in Level 1. Level 1 focuses on visual skills. You'll hear wide view, reference points, 2 step, and 3 step a lot. If you want to get a head start on what drills and skills you'll be doing at the track, pick up a copy of Twist of the Wrist by Keith Code (founder of CSS). Also it's very safe on the track. Trevor is the course control guy and he makes sure no one does anything stupid. You're required to leave a 6 to 8 foot bubble around a rider you're passing. And if you cut that short, you'll immediately get pulled from the track to have a chat with Trevor. I don't remember if they'll make available the braking and slide/lean bike for Level 1 students. But they're great tools. I did the braking bike for a second time this year. Johnny Haynes was my coach and he really helped me take a different look at braking mechanics. I wish I had done it earlier in my sessions. After a few drills with him, I was confident enough to start trail braking into the corners.

Here's a shot of me going into Turn 1 this year. The front straight at VIR is insane. I was able to click into 5th gear and wind it up near the rev limiter. I'm guessing I was doing about 150ish. One of my CSS buddies said he was behind me one time when I laid down a nice blackie driving out of Turn 17 heading into the front straight.

I've also said this before. The S1000RR is a VERY nice bike. Now that the 2015 models have the same dynamic suspension that the HP4 has, it's an even better bike. If I had a choice between my Duc and the BMW, I'd choose the BMW. Especially after all the nagging issues I've had with my 848. The latest is if I leave the bike with a full tank of gas, for some reason fuel/condesation is leaking out the filler cap and has now stained the Pearl White paint. I've been able to get a lot of the staining out with compounding by hand but it's still there. Looks like I'll have to have the tank re-sprayed.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 10:42 AM   #33
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You're going to love it. CSS is a top notch school. You'll quickly see that they've been doing this a long time. Everything is run like a well oiled machine. Are you doing the one day camp or the two day camp? I did a one day and the two day camp a few weeks ago at VIR. I've been thinking about trying Thunderbolt as that track is about the same driving distance for me as VIR. Sounds like this is the first time for you with CSS. You'll be in Level 1. But don't let that throw you. There are some stupid fast riders in Level 1. Level 1 focuses on visual skills. You'll hear wide view, reference points, 2 step, and 3 step a lot. If you want to get a head start on what drills and skills you'll be doing at the track, pick up a copy of Twist of the Wrist by Keith Code (founder of CSS). Also it's very safe on the track. Trevor is the course control guy and he makes sure no one does anything stupid. You're required to leave a 6 to 8 foot bubble around a rider you're passing. And if you cut that short, you'll immediately get pulled from the track to have a chat with Trevor. I don't remember if they'll make available the braking and slide/lean bike for Level 1 students. But they're great tools. I did the braking bike for a second time this year. Johnny Haynes was my coach and he really helped me take a different look at braking mechanics. I wish I had done it earlier in my sessions. After a few drills with him, I was confident enough to start trail braking into the corners.

Here's a shot of me going into Turn 1 this year. The front straight at VIR is insane. I was able to click into 5th gear and wind it up near the rev limiter. I'm guessing I was doing about 150ish. One of my CSS buddies said he was behind me one time when I laid down a nice blackie driving out of Turn 17 heading into the front straight.

I've also said this before. The S1000RR is a VERY nice bike. Now that the 2015 models have the same dynamic suspension that the HP4 has, it's an even better bike. If I had a choice between my Duc and the BMW, I'd choose the BMW. Especially after all the nagging issues I've had with my 848. The latest is if I leave the bike with a full tank of gas, for some reason fuel/condesation is leaking out the filler cap and has now stained the Pearl White paint. I've been able to get a lot of the staining out with compounding by hand but it's still there. Looks like I'll have to have the tank re-sprayed.
Nice pic! Your form looks like you have a lot of confidence and I'm sure that S1000rr was treating you right.

We are gonna do the 2 day camp. It will be my first CSS experience, so I have no problem starting out at level 1. I am the type of guy that likes to take my time and master the basics before learning advanced techniques. Just like learning ANY skill, mastering the fundamentals is key.

Sorry to hear about the tank issues on your Duc. Maybe if you do repaint the tank, you can do a custom job to make your bike more unique.
      06-16-2015, 04:11 PM   #34
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Nice pic! Your form looks like you have a lot of confidence and I'm sure that S1000rr was treating you right.

We are gonna do the 2 day camp. It will be my first CSS experience, so I have no problem starting out at level 1. I am the type of guy that likes to take my time and master the basics before learning advanced techniques. Just like learning ANY skill, mastering the fundamentals is key.

Sorry to hear about the tank issues on your Duc. Maybe if you do repaint the tank, you can do a custom job to make your bike more unique.
Thanks! It's good you're doing the 2 day camp. As part of the package, you'll be getting access to the slide/lean and braking bikes plus lap times. If not on the first day, definitely on the second day when you've graduated to level 2. Also, you'll be riding the camera bike. Here's an old pic of me on the camera bike:

It records video and audio. And new to this year, it'll also capture telemetry off the bike in the video. You'll see speed, RPM, and I think throttle and braking percentages. I didn't know this or I would have done one run with the camera bike. I opted to maximize my track time and ran my GoPro. After your run on the camera bike, you then go to a riding coach where they'll review your run together.

The other good thing about the 2 day camp is the class size is limited so there no more than 2 students per riding coach. You'll be getting a lot of attention.

As far as the tank issues, it's just another headache to add to the pile that started with the expanding tank issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 04:18 PM   #35
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

^ thought that was the wheelie-bar on the back

"You're doing it wrong, this bike only goes straight (when operated properly)"
Appreciate 0