New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-22-2015, 12:03 PM   #111
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
In your opinion, at which point should one receive the "terrorist" label? Honest question.
When it is apparent and obvious (whether by admission or not!) that said individual "targets (even if the act is not successful!) a particular group, race, or even crowd of people for the purpose of death or instigating: fear, genocide, political agenda".
      06-22-2015, 01:26 PM   #112
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
When it is apparent and obvious (whether by admission or not!) that said individual "targets (even if the act is not successful!) a particular group, race, or even crowd of people for the purpose of death or instigating: fear, genocide, political agenda".
So if a gangbanger in Chicago does a drive-by and kills three people, is he a terrorist?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 01:42 PM   #113
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb

Quote:
So if a gangbanger in Chicago does a drive-by and kills three people, is he a terrorist?
Who were those 3 people? Innocent by standers? Were they of another race? Were they also gang bangers?

Once again, here is the definition as described by our own FBI:

Quote:
The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) defines terrorism as “the unlawful use of force or violence against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives.”
I believe based on the definition above, a gang member shooter who does the above could in fact be charged as a Terrorist.
      06-22-2015, 02:15 PM   #114
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Things got crazy last night in Charleston.

http://www.abcnews4.com/story/293725...stream-it-live

06-22-2015, 02:16 PM   #115
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

IMHO calling him a terrorist is an unnecessary elevation of his act and himself; it really serves no real purpose to the public given the # of victims and high probability of conviction and resulting sentence. While some exploit it for political points, it also raises his status in the eyes of whatever potential followers there exist.... and the likelihood of repeating.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 02:21 PM   #116
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Things got crazy last night in Charleston.

http://www.abcnews4.com/story/293725...stream-it-live

That was amazing on many levels! Seeing people come together as a show of support in such a heartbreaking time, is heart warming! I wish more of this coming together would take place without death and destruction being the cause.

One day...
      06-22-2015, 03:23 PM   #117
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
IMHO calling him a terrorist is an unnecessary elevation of his act and himself; it really serves no real purpose to the public given the # of victims and high probability of conviction and resulting sentence. While some exploit it for political points, it also raises his status in the eyes of whatever potential followers there exist.... and the likelihood of repeating.
I'm no expert, but it's my understanding that if a crime is deemed a hate crime or act of terrorism, the penalties will be more harsh.

His crime is sure to fall under one or the other. But personally, i too though terrorist was unfounded. However, after reading his manifesto, it could be construed that his actions were pushing for a political agenda of revolution to bring back antiquated racial views of the old South.
Quote:
That was amazing on many levels! Seeing people come together as a show of support in such a heartbreaking time, is heart warming! I wish more of this coming together would take place without death and destruction being the cause.

One day...
+1
      06-22-2015, 04:11 PM   #118
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Who were those 3 people? Innocent by standers? Were they of another race? Were they also gang bangers?

Once again, here is the definition as described by our own FBI:

I believe based on the definition above, a gang member shooter who does the above could in fact be charged as a Terrorist.
The three people killed by the gangbanger in the drive-by shooting were members of another gang. The gangbanger was black, the other gang members were Mexican.

You can say the killer was a Crip, and the victims were Nortenos.

Again... would that make the killer a terrorist?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 04:43 PM   #119
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:

One day...
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one

I hope some day you'll join us, and the world will live as one"
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 04:59 PM   #120
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
I'm no expert, but it's my understanding that if a crime is deemed a hate crime or act of terrorism, the penalties will be more harsh
That's my point: he killed enough to get the max, regardless whether it's classified hate or terrorism or not. It's not like he'd walk or get off easy otherwise.

But calling him terrorist (or TERRORIST) just dilutes the true meaning of its definition and unnecessarily glorifies him/his actions.... and we all know how it attracts some. Does make a better story for the media, though.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 05:14 PM   #121
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb

Quote:
The three people killed by the gangbanger in the drive-by shooting were members of another gang. The gangbanger was black, the other gang members were Mexican.

You can say the killer was a Crip, and the victims were Nortenos.

Again... would that make the killer a terrorist?
I am not a "Legal Expert of the statutes of Federal Hate Crime or Terrorism". I simply have read the definition as outlined by the powers that be.
      06-22-2015, 05:43 PM   #122
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I am not a "Legal Expert of the statutes of Federal Hate Crime or Terrorism". I simply have read the definition as outlined by the powers that be.
Do you remember the 2009 Fort Hood shooting? Hasan killed 13 and and injured countless others. However, that was not classified as terrorism, nor was it classified as a hate crime.

So if Hasan was not a terrorist, why would Roof be?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 06:03 PM   #123
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you remember the 2009 Fort Hood shooting? Hasan killed 13 and and injured countless others. However, that was not classified as terrorism, nor was it classified as a hate crime.

So if Hasan was not a terrorist, why would Roof be?
I def recall that horrific incident. All I know is he got the death penalty. I am also not military and uncertain on how the fact that he as well as the victims were, had anything to do with that case.
      06-22-2015, 09:37 PM   #124
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Timothy Mcveigh - "domestic terrorist", had something against government
Eliot Rodgers - couldn't get laid so killed good looking white girls and jocks -not a terrorist.

THis guy - nutjob that happens to be obsessed with confederacy and anti-black -nutjob racist hate crime.

THat nowegian guy that killed 70 children on an island? no one ever called him a terrorist against children, it was just a massive hate crime slaughter.

"Terrorist" is a term usually used (and abused) by governments to label it's enemies.. now if Obama wants to label racists as terrorists..
Appreciate 0