New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

06-24-2015, 09:32 PM   #67
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Woooooooooo HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

That is all.
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 10:11 PM   #68
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKay
Might just be me, but I don't think they will make a i8-like-front on it. Looks good, but on the other hand it looks a bit too much like it's trying to look like an i8, while obviously not being an i8?
Its a render by a magazine that wants to sell magazines, its not from bmw
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 10:16 PM   #69
lawgone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

I don't like the i8 design or this. And my e92 looks much better than my F30. Bring back Bangle.
      06-24-2015, 10:22 PM   #70
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
Pretty sure I read somewhere (maybe from Scott) that the next i-model will borrow from the RFK concept (Benz R-Class competitor) and will focus on practicality instead of sport. I wouldn't expect anything good looking or fast. Probably some kind of million-MPG crossover. Ugly, of course.
Its a separate model. But could be a variant of the i5.
It will be practical crossover but also dynamic in appearance and nature.
So what you are saying is that the i5 will be a sedan, but will also be offered as a crossover? I i hope not only crossover, because hasnt bmw learned through i3 and 5gt that americans dont want a weird looking vehicle? Lets not make that mistake again
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 10:44 PM   #71
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbennettksu View Post
from what I remember, the coupe version was to be called the i8. I think they were set to produce it sometime in the near future. You should keep an eye out for it.
Yeah, I get the sarcasm/humor, but no....the i8 looks nothing like the i5 concept, even if the i5 concept is revisioned as a coupe. And, the stats for the i5 beat out the stats for the i8 (and yes, I know they will likely change) and the i8 is astronomically expensive, whereas, by nature of BMW line pricing, an i5 would be less expensive than an i8.

Thanks for trying, though.

Edit: I should add, the gullwing doors of the i8 disgust me.

Last edited by Mandi90TT; 06-24-2015 at 10:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 10:48 PM   #72
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigiggs View Post
I, like most on here thinks the i5 looks gorgeous. However, from a performance standpoint is this car not lacking a few horses? The Tesla S comes standard with 300 (and something) horsepower, whereas from this intial report it looks like the i5 would be equipped with 200ish. Not sure that weight reduction alone will bring straightline performance on par with a standard Tesla S, not to mention electric only range.
I think we read different articles:

Quote:
The powerful i5 will come in two forms: electric-only and plug-in hybrid. The EV will have a 225-hp rear motor working in tandem with a 135-hp motor up front. A more potent rear motor in the plug-in will be good for about 275 hp, and a three- or four-cylinder engine will drive the front wheels. Torque-vectoring all-wheel drive will be standard.
So, the EV has 225+135=360 and the plug in hybrid will have 275+xxx=???

Unless I missed something.
      06-24-2015, 11:18 PM   #73
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
So what you are saying is that the i5 will be a sedan, but will also be offered as a crossover? I i hope not only crossover, because hasnt bmw learned through i3 and 5gt that americans dont want a weird looking vehicle? Lets not make that mistake again
Its not just about North America.
      06-25-2015, 02:25 AM   #74
matbl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
In as short as 18 months we will have many brands w EV's to choose from with over 200 mile battery options!
Ohh? Which ones are you referring to? And please dont list PHEV's.

Anyway, the charging network problem will be there for all of them.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 02:29 AM   #75
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Perfect! The i3 really should have been called the i1 or i2, and this one should be the 3 Series i equivalent. BMW should rebrand the i3 because it looks nothing like the 3 Series which is BMW's bead and butter. Then make a bigger one called the i5.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 05:20 AM   #76
K-A
Nice
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S SportDesign

This looks amazing.

And I'm even more thrilled to see that the new chiefs are seemingly intent in undoing the diluted, needless models that the previous CEO was going stupid bonkers with. It's a hopeful sign if the new guys want to bring an air of succinct leanness back to the business model.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 05:20 AM   #77
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Tesla better knock their "affordable model(s)" out of the park before this i5 comes(if). This is serious competition imo.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 05:25 AM   #78
K-A
Nice
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S SportDesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWolf
Since BMW M and BMWi will stay separate and not work together, BMWi needs to create a performance section like BMW M so they can sell performance parts on i vehicles. It's probably only a matter of time.
I believe they will call it "BMW I'm" (patent pending).
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 05:32 AM   #79
Pentium
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I'm not into Hybrids and EV and I don't think I will be any time soon

But it's good news, and a good render...
      06-25-2015, 07:47 AM   #80
Bigiggs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigiggs View Post
I, like most on here thinks the i5 looks gorgeous. However, from a performance standpoint is this car not lacking a few horses? The Tesla S comes standard with 300 (and something) horsepower, whereas from this intial report it looks like the i5 would be equipped with 200ish. Not sure that weight reduction alone will bring straightline performance on par with a standard Tesla S, not to mention electric only range.
I think we read different articles:

Quote:
The powerful i5 will come in two forms: electric-only and plug-in hybrid. The EV will have a 225-hp rear motor working in tandem with a 135-hp motor up front. A more potent rear motor in the plug-in will be good for about 275 hp, and a three- or four-cylinder engine will drive the front wheels. Torque-vectoring all-wheel drive will be standard.
So, the EV has 225+135=360 and the plug in hybrid will have 275+xxx=???

Unless I missed something.
Yes you are right, thank you for pointing that out. I quickly browsed the article at work.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 08:25 AM   #81
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yw
http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...eslas-model-s/

What We Know

The BMW i5 will look like a standard three-box, four-door sedan, not a crowd-stopping spaceship like its i-model siblings. Why? Because customers in key markets including China and the United States prefer sedans to any other body style.

The i5 will be about as long as the BMW i8, yet it will aim to be roomier than a 3 Series sedan by combining the longest possible wheelbase with the shortest possible front overhang. The i5 should have enough space for a family-size luggage compartment because it will stow its main electric motor between the rear wheels, just like the i3 and i8.

Thanks to the i5’s extensive use of carbon fiber like other i-models, the curb weight target is below 3,450 pounds.

Why It Matters

Project i needs the i5. The i3 is not exactly profitable, and the i8 is a high-end niche vehicle. The BMW i5 aims to split the difference by delivering four-door, four-passenger practicality in an EV package without being astronomically expensive. It will accomplish this by fusing bits of the i3 and i8 with a more basic vehicle architecture that’s cheaper to build. It’s safe to assume the i5 will be priced to compete with the Tesla Model S, which the i5 will have squarely in its sights.
Potential Pitfalls

Since the arrival in December of BMW’s new governing board, chairman Harald Krüger and R&D chief Klaus Fröhlich have scrutinized each and every future project proposed during the regime of former chief Norbert Reithofer, leading to the end of programs such as the i8S, Z2 roadster, and 2 Series GT. The i5 is about the only surviving product from Reithofer’s reign, but who knows if or when the new bosses will want to eradicate every trace of their predecessor.

When to Expect It

Production of the i5 will likely be assigned to BMW’s Leipzig plant, where production of the 1 Series and 3 Series would be phased out. We expect production to start in 2019.

What about the... BMW Z2?

Purists, rejoice: BMW has killed the front-wheel-drive Z2 roadster, which would've shared its chassis and powertrain with the Mini Cooper.

Attachment 1232525
Very very nice! I'd love to see where this goes!
      06-25-2015, 11:10 AM   #82
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5
Tesla better knock their "affordable model(s)" out of the park before this i5 comes(if). This is serious competition imo.
Tesla is years ahead of BMWi.

It is BMWi thats needs to be worried !
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2015, 11:18 AM   #83
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by matbl
Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
In as short as 18 months we will have many brands w EV's to choose from with over 200 mile battery options!
Ohh? Which ones are you referring to? And please dont list PHEV's.

Anyway, the charging network problem will be there for all of them.
Nissan Leaf

Tesla Model 3

Chevrolet Bolt

All will have 200 mile battery options, in less than 18 months !
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 12:46 PM   #84
BananaCar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
Pretty sure I read somewhere (maybe from Scott) that the next i-model will borrow from the RFK concept (Benz R-Class competitor) and will focus on practicality instead of sport. I wouldn't expect anything good looking or fast. Probably some kind of million-MPG crossover. Ugly, of course.
Its a separate model. But could be a variant of the i5.
It will be practical crossover but also dynamic in appearance and nature.
I think safe to say as a Global company the bean counters considers other countries not just America. Global sells trumps what one market sales dictate.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 05:38 PM   #85
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG View Post
Perfect! The i3 really should have been called the i1 or i2, and this one should be the 3 Series i equivalent. BMW should rebrand the i3 because it looks nothing like the 3 Series which is BMW's bead and butter. Then make a bigger one called the i5.
That is not the point.
The i3 is a model from BMWi it has no bearing with standard BMW Portfolio.
      06-25-2015, 07:03 PM   #86
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, Porsche Taycan T, MB EQE

Tesla S Rumored to be in BMW i5s Crosshairs (Digital Trends)

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/bm...s-news-rumors/

Last edited by YWGT3; 06-25-2015 at 07:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 09:13 PM   #87
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Its not just about North America.
When it comes to the i brand it kinda is. In europe they have diesels. China doesnt seem to care for electrics at all. So that leaves america in which i3 i8 and maybe someday i5
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 02:03 AM   #88
r3dbimmer89
Major
Rep
Drives: P-Car

Quote:
When it comes to the i brand it kinda is. In europe they have diesels. China doesnt seem to care for electrics at all. So that leaves america in which i3 i8 and maybe someday i5
Isn't the i3 actually selling really well in North America? I read somewhere that it's one of the best selling electric cars on the market already.
Appreciate 0