New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-12-2009, 09:56 AM   #1
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

M sports suspension - is it worth it?

I had a chance to test drive the new Z4 the other day, and I was mainly interested in how the adaptive M sports suspension feels and particularly what the difference is between the Normal and Sport+ modes.

So I figured a cobblestone street would give some kind of indication how much tighter the suspension gets in Sport+ mode. (I realize this is not what it was designed for, but we got lots of those streets here and they're a pain in my E86.) I kept switching back and forth between Normal and Sport+, but I couldn't feel any difference whatsoever. I know my cobblestone test may not translate that well to for example cornering.

Granted, I'm not the guy you'd want to set up your racing car. It took me 2 weeks to notice any difference in throttle sensitivity when playing with the Sport button in E86.

So I'm interested in hearing other peoples experiences of the issue. Also, how can you tell if a car has the M sports suspension? The ride height is lowered by 10 mm, but is that dependent of the selected mode (Normal, Sport, Sport+)?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 10:09 AM   #2
aheinz_71
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 23i

Quote:
Originally Posted by juhap View Post
I had a chance to test drive the new Z4 the other day, and I was mainly interested in how the adaptive M sports suspension feels and particularly what the difference is between the Normal and Sport+ modes.

So I figured a cobblestone street would give some kind of indication how much tighter the suspension gets in Sport+ mode. (I realize this is not what it was designed for, but we got lots of those streets here and they're a pain in my E86.) I kept switching back and forth between Normal and Sport+, but I couldn't feel any difference whatsoever. I know my cobblestone test may not translate that well to for example cornering.

Granted, I'm not the guy you'd want to set up your racing car. It took me 2 weeks to notice any difference in throttle sensitivity when playing with the Sport button in E86.

So I'm interested in hearing other peoples experiences of the issue. Also, how can you tell if a car has the M sports suspension? The ride height is lowered by 10 mm, but is that dependent of the selected mode (Normal, Sport, Sport+)?
Are you aware of this slide?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3525999...7615722693868/

I have ordered my E89 with the adaptive suspension. I am also far from being a "race driver". I am more the comfortable cruiser type that sometimes drives a bit sporty.

When driving normally the difference between the three modes is not really that big BUT...

I recently drove my car in Germany and I tested it up to 240 km/h. During this high speed ride I played with the settings and there was a MAJOR difference between Normal and SPORT. In NORMAL mode the ride was so soft it felt unsafe at this speed. It felt like driving with cushions below the tires. When switching to SPORT the control came back and I felt very comfortable at high speeds.

The other scenario where you would feel a major difference is in extensive slalom rides (with a lot of lateral acceleration). Since this means a lot of wear on the material I don't feel like riding like this with my own car

All in all I would recommend choosing the adaptive suspension mainly because it makes the car more versatile.

PS: The ride height is constant. It does not get changed between Normal, Sport and Sport+.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 11:25 AM   #3
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I was aware of that slide, and my expectations were actually based on it. It just doesn't match my personal experience at all. And we don't have any roads where I can drive 240 km/h

Another thing that I forgot to mention is that I've got 17" wheels under my E86, and the E89 had 19" wheels, but still the ride was MUCH softer in the E89. There was hardly any tramlining though, and I doubt that RFTs have improved that much over the past 2-3 years. Maybe also something to do with the suspension geometry in E89...

Since the ride height is constant, is there any way a dummy like me can tell easily if an E89 has the M sports suspension or not? I don't really doubt the dealer's words, I would simply prefer physical evidence
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 12:07 PM   #4
AndyE1976
Brit in GA
United_States
Rep
Drives: Saab 9-3SE Cab

Probably the only way is if it has the button to change the settings. Most people wouldn't notice a 10mm drop without something to refer to.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
aheinz_71
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyE1976 View Post
Probably the only way is if it has the button to change the settings. Most people wouldn't notice a 10mm drop without something to refer to.
Unfortunately not. The button is there regardless whether the adaptive suspension is there or not.

Without the adaptive suspension, all the button does is change the reaction times of the automatic as well as the reaction times of the accelerator.

With the adaptive suspension it also changes the dampers.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 12:24 PM   #6
aheinz_71
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juhap View Post
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I was aware of that slide, and my expectations were actually based on it. It just doesn't match my personal experience at all. And we don't have any roads where I can drive 240 km/h

Another thing that I forgot to mention is that I've got 17" wheels under my E86, and the E89 had 19" wheels, but still the ride was MUCH softer in the E89. There was hardly any tramlining though, and I doubt that RFTs have improved that much over the past 2-3 years. Maybe also something to do with the suspension geometry in E89...

Since the ride height is constant, is there any way a dummy like me can tell easily if an E89 has the M sports suspension or not? I don't really doubt the dealer's words, I would simply prefer physical evidence
In the German zroadster forum one guy said that there is a part of the system that contains oil which can be seen through the front wheels (sorry for the bad description - can't word it better in English).

A lot of people (me included) asked for a photo so that we could all check (I also don't trust BMW since they made a big mistake in my car with the HiFi system which now needs to be corrected).

I will ask again for a photo evidence which will make it possible for everybody to check for the existence.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 01:15 PM   #7
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive30i

Hi aheinz_71,

I'm still waiting on my 30i, but I guess you could use the BMW Teilekatalog pictures to see the difference between the with and without adaptive M suspension.

STANDARD:

ADAPTIVE M SUSPENSION:

http://de.bmwfans.info/parts/catalog...bng_wheel_bng/

I assume that the control unit mounted on the shock absorber (above bullet 3) could be visible on the front wheels.

EdP
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 01:36 AM   #8
aheinz_71
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zEdP View Post
Hi aheinz_71,

I'm still waiting on my 30i, but I guess you could use the BMW Teilekatalog pictures to see the difference between the with and without adaptive M suspension.

STANDARD:

ADAPTIVE M SUSPENSION:

http://de.bmwfans.info/parts/catalog...bng_wheel_bng/

I assume that the control unit mounted on the shock absorber (above bullet 3) could be visible on the front wheels.

EdP
Thanks, EdP.

As you know from the German forum (where you also posted this info) one guy from the factory (Wolfgang) confirmed this.

The easiest way to tell whether you have the adaptive suspension is checking your front axle for the magnetic valve at your dampers. You can see the valve from outside through the wheel (at least with a 17" wheel and for the 23i (with the smaller brake discs)). There should also be a cable visible going from the magnetic valve to the contol unit.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2009, 04:51 PM   #9
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aheinz_71 View Post
PS: The ride height is constant. It does not get changed between Normal, Sport and Sport+.
Please clarify: are you saying that with the M package it's normally dropped and doesn't go any lower when you push the button?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 08:51 AM   #10
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
Please clarify: are you saying that with the M package it's normally dropped and doesn't go any lower when you push the button?
Yes, fixed 10mm lower than standard (non M-package).
No, it doesn't drop when enabling the sport or sport+ mode.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 09:08 AM   #11
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zEdP View Post
Yes, fixed 10mm lower than standard (non M-package).
No, it doesn't drop when enabling the sport or sport+ mode.
Got it - thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 07:00 AM   #12
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Just read the Top Gear review again, and noticed that it claims

Quote:
The DCT is also the only transmission option which gets BMW's Adaptive M Suspension
This wouldn't be the only factual error in the article, but just to be sure, there's no such limitation right? He's probably refering to DCT being available only with the 35i...
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 08:17 AM   #13
tiborakos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4

From what i have read there is no such limitation, agreed. But it might be country specific, where some kind of "packages" are offered.. ie sports package etc
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 04:24 AM   #14
welbo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive35

For me, I use my fingers to see the difference in height btw Adaptive M Suspension and normal suspension. Normal suspenison 4+fingers gap btw tire and wheel arch while M Suspension about 3 fingers gap.

In my country, the dealer term it as M-Running Gear, this refers to a package that combine 7 Speed DCT and Adaptive M suspension and u cannot order any of the above 2 separately.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 03:39 PM   #15
KWY91
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 (on order), 458

How's the new Z4 been working for you here?

Lamborghini's Mica Orange E93 M3
Akrapovic Exhaust //Challenge Rear CF diffuser//ESS VT-575 Supercharger
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 11:13 PM   #16
ewps
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aheinz_71 View Post
Are you aware of this slide?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3525999...7615722693868/

I have ordered my E89 with the adaptive suspension. I am also far from being a "race driver". I am more the comfortable cruiser type that sometimes drives a bit sporty.
Hey aheinz_71, I just took delivery of my car and I am trying to figure out if I indeed have the adaptive suspension, unfortunately I got a 35i and because of the large brakepads I am having a hard time looking for the wire and the valve, from other posts it seems that the sport package come with a black headliner. I am just wondering because mine is "white" and because I do not really feel much difference with the different settings. What color is your headliner?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 12:19 AM   #17
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewps View Post
Hey aheinz_71, I just took delivery of my car and I am trying to figure out if I indeed have the adaptive suspension, unfortunately I got a 35i and because of the large brakepads I am having a hard time looking for the wire and the valve, from other posts it seems that the sport package come with a black headliner. I am just wondering because mine is "white" and because I do not really feel much difference with the different settings. What color is your headliner?
This is what your looking for on the shock, right?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 12:49 AM   #18
ewps
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
This is what your looking for on the shock, right?
I guess so, I will have to find some way to get under/behind the wheel and look for it. My problem is that the sport package in US is difficult to verify since all the items in the sport package are included in the premium/ivory white packages. The only additional item is the adaptive M suspension which I am having a hard time "feeling"...

I was hoping to get confirmation through the headliner color, it seems in some countries you get the black headliner with the sport package, I wanted to find out if the US package was the same.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 05:22 PM   #19
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewps View Post
I guess so, I will have to find some way to get under/behind the wheel and look for it. My problem is that the sport package in US is difficult to verify since all the items in the sport package are included in the premium/ivory white packages. The only additional item is the adaptive M suspension which I am having a hard time "feeling"...

I was hoping to get confirmation through the headliner color, it seems in some countries you get the black headliner with the sport package, I wanted to find out if the US package was the same.
I have the Ivory interior and sport package. I have a white headliner.
I can definitely feel a difference in sport mode and a bit more firm in sport +.
Any non-smooth road should be a good enough test.

What wheels do you have? The turbine spoke (thin and thick spokes) is the standard wheel, not changed with the Ivory White package.

PS: I do feel that the adjustable suspension adds a lot to the car. Decently smooth around town or on interstate but nicely firm in sport mode for spirited drives. Although I still don't like the feel of the RFTs at the limit.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 07:40 PM   #20
ewps
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
I have the Ivory interior and sport package. I have a white headliner.
I can definitely feel a difference in sport mode and a bit more firm in sport +.
Any non-smooth road should be a good enough test.

What wheels do you have? The turbine spoke (thin and thick spokes) is the standard wheel, not changed with the Ivory White package.

PS: I do feel that the adjustable suspension adds a lot to the car. Decently smooth around town or on interstate but nicely firm in sport mode for spirited drives. Although I still don't like the feel of the RFTs at the limit.
thanks, hopefully I will be able to feel the difference as soon as I am over with the break in period and I can start pushing it.
Appreciate 0