New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-12-2009, 07:18 AM   #1
rasputin
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

DCT gearbox in 35i - a bit disappointing?

I've been driving my new Z4 since a month already, and having upgraded from a 2003 Z4, everything is great except the responsiveness of the DCT. Many times, I find the DCT delivering the power later than I would have liked. I started to use the car in the "S" gear setting and the sports suspension, which improved it a lot, but it's still a bit far away from the manual gear fun. What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2009, 09:17 AM   #2
yabbanoname
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
I've been driving my new Z4 since a month already, and having upgraded from a 2003 Z4, everything is great except the responsiveness of the DCT. Many times, I find the DCT delivering the power later than I would have liked. I started to use the car in the "S" gear setting and the sports suspension, which improved it a lot, but it's still a bit far away from the manual gear fun. What do you guys think?
Disappointing ?
not my experience.
S mode ?
You mean Sport or Sport+ modus ?
I always prefered before this DCT manuals (had an high rev S2000 which disliked lazy shifting ;-), but this DCT is certainly NOT disappointing for me.
The only part that needs some improovement is the lag when shifting between reverse or drive, but I can live with that ...
      12-12-2009, 09:27 AM   #3
rmorin49
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 335d/10 Z4 s30i

Quote:
I decided to order a 6 speed manual on my Z since I already have one car with a DSG, VW R32, and my 335i was also an automatic. I understand that driving a DCT in a mild manner will cause it to learn and thus not be as responsive as you might desire. Sounds kinda like a woman.
2011 335d BS/Oyster/PP/CWP/NAV/ipod/USB(Daily Driver) 30+ mpg(retired)
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2009, 10:12 AM   #4
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

I use the DCT manual mode and paddles a lot. Simply kick the lever left and forward at the first stop. Throttle response and shift speed are sharpened a bit, hitting the paddles or lever to upshift as you accelerate is more involving, and you can control the shift RPMs just like a 6 spd. Around town, I shift at 2500 RPMs for a nice smooth acceleration. When I get a chance, I let her rev and have have more fun going up thru the gears.

I only hit the sport button when I want to sharpen the handling or need real aggressive acceleration and shifting.

FYI, on a real twisty road, the DCT is far better than a 6 speed manual. You can go thru the gears downshifting for turns and upshifting in the straights for mere seconds far better than any manual.

To me, the DCT is the best transmission I've ever had.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2009, 11:17 AM   #5
Roadstergal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i

I was planning on ordering my car with the DCT and held off placing my order until I could test drive a car that had the DCT tranny. I have always driven manual cars, but thought I was ready for a change. I could tell from my initial test drive that it wasn't for me and I would miss the complete interaction with a manual tranny so I decided to stick with the six speed. I have no regrets, I love it.
E36 - 1998 Z3 2.8 (Red, black leather, wood trim)
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2009, 11:27 AM   #6
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dinan S3 Z4-35i

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
Quote:
That is exactly what I was talking about to the salesperson and some other threads I have posted based on my experience many times trying to give the DCT a chance prior to making a decision whether to order a manual over DCT. I drove the DCT the first time in the poster color DSB and then went to another dealership thinking the early lag was just because everyone may have test driven the cars roughly, but it was still getting same results. I only liked the idea of having 7 gears vs 6 gears, but I realized I did not want to buy a car based on how may gears (for maybe a little better fuel economy or launch mode). Therefore I decide to stick with a 6 speed manual.
      12-12-2009, 11:46 AM   #7
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

The DCT is not disappointing to me at all and the power always seems instantatious.I'm not sure why our experiences are so different.

Last edited by BlueZ4AZ; 12-14-2009 at 04:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2009, 12:26 PM   #8
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

The only way to absolutely avoid missing a shift, and to get shifts timed precisely when you want them is with a MT. If that's your standard then a MT is the only way to go, otherwise the DCT is the way to go for all around driving. One thing to note that the DCT shifts faster than a human can.

Side notes: Porsche anticipates completely phasing out MTs with their new dual clutch PDK. Ferrari isn't offering a MT (yet) with its new 458 Italia, only a dual clutch. Even though everyone rightly raves about the dual clutch transmissions, I think it will be a sad day when they're phased out completely.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2009, 12:36 PM   #9
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

i'm really surprised to hear some of you guys claiming the DCT is not smooth.

is it possible, that those claiming that it's not smooth, are taking their foot of the accelerator pedal when flipping the paddles?? or for whatever reason "afraid" of driving the car like it's supposed to??

i'll see if i can attach my camera behind my shoulder and show you guys how smooth it really is...
      12-12-2009, 03:53 PM   #10
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
Side notes: Porsche anticipates completely phasing out MTs with their new dual clutch PDK.
This sounded interesting, so I tried to google it, but found only news about Porsche phasing out conventional automatics in favor of PDK. Do you have a source for this?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2009, 05:39 PM   #11
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

he doesn't need a source... you can see it happening right now... Ferrari only provides MT's IF the client asks, Lamborghini's too, VW/AUDI is on the same boat, the M5, M6, X5M and X6M cars come with flappy paddles... it's just a matter of time before manuals are rare. the new flappy paddle gearboxes are becoming more and more efficient and in sports cars they protect the car from driver error. the technology trickles down from F1 to exotics to sports cars to all cars... just a matter of time.

Last edited by Memphis1; 12-12-2009 at 10:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2009, 06:00 PM   #12
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juhap View Post
This sounded interesting, so I tried to google it, but found only news about Porsche phasing out conventional automatics in favor of PDK. Do you have a source for this?
memphis2012 is correct of course, but I recall running across that tidbit in reference to the 2010 911 Turbo PDK. I'll post a link when I find it again.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2009, 06:47 PM   #13
Jay Zone
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i & 2010 M3

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing and agree 100%. I plan on doing a transmission reset after 1500 mile break-in which according to the forums will make the difference.

I've definitely been babying the trans during the break-in.

JZ
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 12:14 PM   #14
rasputin
Private
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbanoname View Post
Disappointing ?
not my experience.
S mode ?
You mean Sport or Sport+ modus ?
I always prefered before this DCT manuals (had an high rev S2000 which disliked lazy shifting ;-), but this DCT is certainly NOT disappointing for me.
The only part that needs some improovement is the lag when shifting between reverse or drive, but I can live with that ...
I mean the "S" mode in the transmission, when you shift the gear lever to the left.

On the reverse to drive, indeed is the worst, i almost crashed the car behind me on a slope until the car engaged the other day!! it was embarrassing..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 12:17 PM   #15
rasputin
Private
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2012 View Post
i'm really surprised to hear some of you guys claiming the DCT is not smooth.

is it possible, that those claiming that it's not smooth, are taking their foot of the accelerator pedal when flipping the paddles?? or for whatever reason "afraid" of driving the car like it's supposed to??

i'll see if i can attach my camera behind my shoulder and show you guys how smooth it really is...
The lag mostly happens when you are just cruising, and need a sudden speed up. You press the gas pedal, the car thinks about it for a sec, and then finally delivers the power... the lag is much less when you are in the S mode in the transmission and the sports or sports + mode.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 12:18 PM   #16
rasputin
Private
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Zone View Post
I was thinking the same thing and agree 100%. I plan on doing a transmission reset after 1500 mile break-in which according to the forums will make the difference.

I've definitely been babying the trans during the break-in.

JZ
Sorry, what is a "transmission reset"? can you send the link in the forums?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 12:28 PM   #17
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The lag mostly happens when you are just cruising, and need a sudden speed up. You press the gas pedal, the car thinks about it for a sec, and then finally delivers the power... the lag is much less when you are in the S mode in the transmission and the sports or sports + mode.
oh, i know what you mean, when it's in auto mode you have to do the whole "kick down" thing, slam the accelerator pedal to the floor so that it realizes you need the power like right now (or downshift). i thought you guys meant it never shifted smoothly.

Last edited by Memphis1; 12-14-2009 at 01:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 12:32 PM   #18
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, what is a "transmission reset"? can you send the link in the forums?
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=411543

the tranny learns shift points the more you drive, but some people might have "baby" the car the first 1200 or 1500 miles, so now they want to reset and drive normally and let the tranny "relearn".
      12-14-2009, 12:38 PM   #19
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

i usually drive in sport mode but with the tranny in D and if i want a little more spirited driving i shift completely into M mode. i've used S mode before but the minute i touch the paddles it changes into M mode, so i've stopped using S mode altogether.
      12-14-2009, 01:04 PM   #20
yabbanoname
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive35i

Garage List
Quote:
You can shift whenever you want, if it is in auto or not.
I never put the "shifter" to the left to put it in manual, just drive it in sport/sport + and use the paddles whenever you need them.
This means for me, for corners I use the paddles to shift down (the tranny doesn't know when to shift down itself), and let the shiftups controlled by the DCT (max revs normally).
When you're lazy, it takes the dct about 20 secs to decide that you not wanting the manual, and put bank the norma D transmissions.
I couldn't do it better myself (maybe in a F 458 Italia ;-)
      12-14-2009, 03:31 PM   #21
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbanoname View Post
. . .maybe in a F 458 Italia ;-)
Thinking about Italian love.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 03:35 PM   #22
rasputin
Private
Switzerland
Rep

based on your feedback, today I tried shifting down with the paddles before I hit the accelerator pedal. It does work! Just a habit change I need to get used to, as in the manual transmission, I would already be at the lower gear with my driving style. The "D" mode is usually one or two gears higher than I would have in manual mode, that's the issue...
Appreciate 0