New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-25-2013, 01:51 AM   #23
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

So why don't you just suck it up and do it? You really think a job allows you to do only what you want?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #24
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
So why don't you just suck it up and do it? You really think a job allows you to do only what you want?
Personally I would stick to the collecting paychecks part. The rest is meh.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #25
dave0352usmc
U.S. Marine
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 325i

OP would die in the Marine Corps...

06' Alpine White 325i | 18x8.5 Malloy 5's | H&R Sports | BMS 12,18MM | M3 Front Bumper
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #26
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFB02 View Post
It's my job. I've done it many times in different places but this has been the dream place. Now that I'm here I feel that it's not what I signed up for.
If what you are being told to do is your job, it doesn't matter where it is. Do your job and stop complaining. You're not entitled to any special treatment.

You can quit, but do it professionally. If you burn any bridges on your way out you can kiss any good referrals goodbye.
      09-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #27
Repoman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi R8 V10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Personally I would stick to the collecting paychecks part. The rest is meh.
1. Collect checks while looking for a different job.
2. Hope that new job isn't worse than the new one.
3. Do a couple of donuts in the parking lot on the way out of your old job.

ok... maybe skip #3... don't burn bridges.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 12:02 PM   #28
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

If you need advice, it shows that you are the shy type or weak type.
You dont need advice on what to say. Just say exctly what it is.

The only advice i can give is to make sure you do not send e-mail, phone call or text message. Just kindly walk up to him/her FACE to FACE and say, "I appreciate being given this opportunity to work but i don't appreciate the disrespectful and rude manners you have towards me"
      09-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #29
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

You: "Boss, I understand you have already put in your time to be where you are, and while I respect your authority, I feel like you have made me your "bitch" and I can not handle it anymore. I am a man, and would like to be treated as such. Granted if I were in your shoes getting your paychecks, I probably wouldn't care what someone lower on the chain thinks either, but you really hurt my feelings, last night I went home and kicked my dog. Please consider not only my feelings, but now my dogs feelings are involved. I digress."
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #30
bing240sx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C /// E90 M3 ESS-VT2

it can only be done is you are exceptional at your job and difficult to replace.

if you are easily replaced then you should STFU until that isn't true anymore.
      09-25-2013, 01:10 PM   #31
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
You: "Boss, I understand you have already put in your time to be where you are, and while I respect your authority, I feel like you have made me your "bitch" and I can not handle it anymore. I am a man, and would like to be treated as such. Granted if I were in your shoes getting your paychecks, I probably wouldn't care what someone lower on the chain thinks either, but you really hurt my feelings, last night I went home and kicked my dog. Please consider not only my feelings, but now my dogs feelings are involved. I digress."
Bang on. Word for word. Probably the best way to tell him straight up.
      09-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #32
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

^^

Don't forget to ask for veterinary fees for your dog's anxiety and depression medication.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #33
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:

So you plan is to insult your boss? LOL. The bold part not only directly states that he doesn't care what you think, but if roles were reversed you wouldn't either.

Frankly, I think this advice is terrible and he would do better just to look for another job prior to tendering his resignation, but a better way to phrase what you're getting at here is:

"I understand you have to make difficult decisions regarding tasks and deadlines, but my work/life balance has been very difficult to maintain as of late. Do you have any suggestions as to how I might restore some balance?"

If you phrase the question such that he gets to be in charge and help you without an implied insult, you will greatly increase your odds of success.

With that said, see my first two posts.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #34
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
So you plan is to insult your boss? LOL. The bold part not only directly states that he doesn't care what you think, but if roles were reversed you wouldn't either.

Frankly, I think this advice is terrible and he would do better just to look for another job prior to tendering his resignation, but a better way to phrase what you're getting at here is:

"I understand you have to make difficult decisions regarding tasks and deadlines, but my work/life balance has been very difficult to maintain as of late. Do you have any suggestions as to how I might restore some balance?"

If you phrase the question such that he gets to be in charge and help you without an implied insult, you will greatly increase your odds of success.

With that said, see my first two posts.
I think you grossly misinterpreted the notion behind my comment. If someone should say that to their boss, I hope they have a mini cam attached to their shirt and share the results.

Was simply sarcasm. OP has some good responses in here, but its the real world. If you don't like where you work or who you work for, either address it or find a job elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 03:28 PM   #35
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
"I am very interested in understanding the entire process to better help our team. Can you help me understand how doing xyz helps our goals?"
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #36
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
I think you grossly misinterpreted the notion behind my comment. If someone should say that to their boss, I hope they have a mini cam attached to their shirt and share the results.

Was simply sarcasm. OP has some good responses in here, but its the real world. If you don't like where you work or who you work for, either address it or find a job elsewhere.
I guess so, lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #37
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

I still see very vague replies from the OP. what is your job and what is an example of what your boss is asking you to do? Before we tell you how to defuse the situation, lets make sure there is a situation to defuse.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 09:17 PM   #38
pt
Private
Rep
Drives: I miss my E12

If there's workplace bullying going on, welcome to the real world. Many bosses aren't much more sophisticated than that. Looks like you failed to evaluate the boss in your interviews, fell for corporate flim-flam in the hiring process, or just got blinded by company kool-aid.

Now you know. Next time, press them more in the interview process. Ask how decisions are made in the company. Ask how conflicts are resolved. If they object or give you a hard time for it, then do you really want to work for them?

In any workplace, the best attitude to have is one of service. Extend yourself past your role. Take a chance here and there. If you find a problem, fix it and tell your boss about it posthumously to see if s/he would have done it differently and why. Learn how to anticipate downstream problems that some action would cause and get in a position to fix them. Put yourself in a position where your boss' colleagues tell him how awesome you are. You earn this, and not from following a job description. If anybody is paying you a salary, this is a minimum standard of service to me.

Where I will give latitude is with a lack of growth potential. You'll get to a point eventually where there isn't much more to gain from the position. A good boss will try and help you move on while an asshole boss will try and box you in. There's nothing to be gained from a lack of growth and it's always right to remove yourself from those situations.

Another bit of advice: it's not midnight yet - get the fuck back to work! (this is somewhat above my minimum standard of service )
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 10:26 PM   #39
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Can you strengthen your relationship with your bosses boss?
I used to report to the GM, had a sucky relationship with her
But I was very close to the late CEO, so most major decisions I handled with him
And always kept her in the loop, but it was more " I'm doing xyz, and the CEO already approved it"
And yes I work in IT, but I promise no balls were washed or cupped
      09-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #40
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehwnnc View Post
cup the balls
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #41
musc
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [10.00]
I have been in a few positions and it always seem to be great at first but then things aren't always what they seem. The choices are simple. Suck it up or move on. Things will never be exactly the way you want or expect unless YOU are the boss.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 07:31 PM   #42
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by musc View Post
I have been in a few positions and it always seem to be great at first but then things aren't always what they seem. The choices are simple. Suck it up or move on. Things will never be exactly the way you want or expect unless YOU are the boss.
And then you will still be fucked.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #43
musc
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
And then you will still be fucked.
lol, you are probably right. Probably a whole new set of drama to deal with when running the whole show!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #44
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
How did it go?
Appreciate 0