New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

07-17-2009, 09:17 PM   #1
twin turbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xdrive

Anyone considering tuning options for the Z4 35i?

I have contacted Burger Motorsports about the JB+ and JB3 piggyback as possible tuning options. I owned a 2007 335i with the Dinan flash. It made a huge difference in the cars performance with no ill effects. It doesn't look like Dinan offers a flash for this car yet. I am concerned about adding just any tune to this car because of the adjustable suspension/throttle/steering option in this car. Thanks for your input.
2014 Audi RS5 (sold)
2012 Audi TT RS (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2009, 07:02 AM   #2
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin turbo View Post
I have contacted Burger Motorsports about the JB+ and JB3 piggyback as possible tuning options. I owned a 2007 335i with the Dinan flash. It made a huge difference in the cars performance with no ill effects. It doesn't look like Dinan offers a flash for this car yet. I am concerned about adding just any tune to this car because of the adjustable suspension/throttle/steering option in this car. Thanks for your input.
I would go for the Dinan tune once available. As long as I can back it out since my car is a lease.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
yabbanoname
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive35i

Garage List
Quote:
thinking about JB3 or JB+, but first:
- getting the car (next week, sat)
- new exhaust, Eisenmann
- JB... or a fixed tune (Heinz , Belgium)
      07-18-2009, 05:59 PM   #4
twin turbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbanoname View Post
thinking about JB3 or JB+, but first:
- getting the car (next week, sat)
- new exhaust, Eisenmann
- JB... or a fixed tune (Heinz , Belgium)
I am anxiously awaiting the Eisenmann exhaust to be released as well.
2014 Audi RS5 (sold)
2012 Audi TT RS (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 11:20 AM   #5
Rubber Ducky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

I have a Dinan tune in my E93 and love it. Talked to Dinan some months back and they say they will have a firmware tune for the s35i Z4. However...

However, the DCT in the E89 appears to be rated at 375 ft-lbs torque and the high-end Dinan tune for the N54 engine runs in around 420 ft-lbs. My guess is that Dinan will release a Stage 1 tune for the s35i with DCT and a Stage 2 for the MT version.

Having said all this, it's not clear to me that the E89 with DCT really can use the tune on the street. Track, maybe, but the DCT to so flexible and fast that you run out of road before you get to torque and rpm limits.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 06:18 PM   #6
twin turbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Ducky View Post
I have a Dinan tune in my E93 and love it. Talked to Dinan some months back and they say they will have a firmware tune for the s35i Z4. However...

However, the DCT in the E89 appears to be rated at 375 ft-lbs torque and the high-end Dinan tune for the N54 engine runs in around 420 ft-lbs. My guess is that Dinan will release a Stage 1 tune for the s35i with DCT and a Stage 2 for the MT version.

Having said all this, it's not clear to me that the E89 with DCT really can use the tune on the street. Track, maybe, but the DCT to so flexible and fast that you run out of road before you get to torque and rpm limits.
Glad I bought a manual. Let me know if you hear any new info from Dinan. I called them the other day and never received a call back.
2014 Audi RS5 (sold)
2012 Audi TT RS (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 06:31 PM   #7
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Ducky View Post

It's interesting to hear that about the DCT. Everything I've read about the DCT is that it is a strong or stronger than a standard manual trans.

Am I missing something here?

Last edited by teagueAMX; 07-26-2009 at 08:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 07:38 PM   #8
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Our car is a DCT which we have developed DCT software for to handle the midrange TQ delivery. Power delivery and shifting is perfect. Rubber Ducky is correct the DCT maxes out around 375 ft-lbs. We tuned for max TQ delivery and to keep everything safe.

Last edited by sales@ESSTuning; 07-26-2009 at 08:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 09:11 PM   #9
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom3n View Post
Our car is a DCT which we have developed DCT software for to handle the midrange TQ delivery. Power delivery and shifting is perfect. Rubber Ducky is correct the DCT maxes out around 375 ft-lbs. We tuned for max TQ delivery and to keep everything safe.
It sounds like you're saying that BMW limited the n54/DCT tuning and ESS or Dinan using it as a baseline are limited.

Or, are you saying

ESS and/or Dinan feels they have to limit the tune because the DCT can't take the higher max torque.

Pardon me for pushing the point, but I want to make sure I understand. I'll be getting the DCT but I want to understand the issue.

http://www.gizmag.com/go/4909/

Quote:
Bugatti Veyron DCT

"The 7-speed Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) system developed for the 406km/h, 987bhp Bugatti Veyron sportscar will be shown for the first time by Ricardo at the 4th International CTI-Symposium held in Berlin this week. The twin-clutch gearbox of the Bugatti Veyron combines the dynamic advantages of a manual gearbox with the convenience of an automatic to an as yet unparalleled level of perfection. One significant differentiation criteria compared to the classic automatic gearbox is that no torque converter is used as a moving-off element. Instead, the gearbox has a twin clutch that is composed of two wet-running multi-disc clutches."
Obviously, the Veyron DCT will be a much stronger unit than the one used in e89 Z4, but the thing I'm wrestling with is the difference in tune a perception issue (DCT = automatic transmission) or is the Z4 DCT actually the limiting factor.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 09:56 PM   #10
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
It sounds like you're saying that BMW limited the n54/DCT tuning and ESS or Dinan using it as a baseline are limited.

Or, are you saying

ESS and/or Dinan feels they have to limit the tune because the DCT can't take the higher max torque.

Pardon me for pushing the point, but I want to make sure I understand. I'll be getting the DCT but I want to understand the issue.

http://www.gizmag.com/go/4909/

Obviously, the Veyron DCT will be a much stronger unit than the one used in e89 Z4, but the thing I'm wrestling with is the difference in tune a perception issue (DCT = automatic transmission) or is the Z4 DCT actually the limiting factor.
The limiting factor with most tuning is what the vehicle was designed to handle. The DCT transmission in the Z4 35i has a limit set by BMW on how much TQ it is rated to handle. The other limiting factor is how much boost the stock turbos are designed to run without running the risk of damage, errors during operation or shortend life. This does not mean that one could not push these levels beyond these limits to achieve bigger numbers on the N54 as we have seen some tuners do we just dont recommend or practice it.

We tuned the Z4 with these limits in mind like we do all of our projects keeping safety, reliability and performance in mind. We feel that we have achieved a nice balance and the most power we can without risk of issues or long term damage to the motor or transmission.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 10:14 PM   #11
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Wow. But it still is nice gains. 50+ RWHP thru the mid range isn't too shabby. Would one need a different intake or exhaust along with the tuning, or is it all in SW controlled boost levels?

Would BMW discover the tune during routine maintenance? If a car is a lease, is it easy to pull the tune back out before the lease-end?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 10:36 PM   #12
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The limiting factor with most tuning is what the vehicle was designed to handle. The DCT transmission in the Z4 35i has a limit set by BMW on how much TQ it is rated to handle. The other limiting factor is how much boost the stock turbos are designed to run without running the risk of damage, errors during operation or shortend life. This does not mean that one could not push these levels beyond these limits to achieve bigger numbers on the N54 as we have seen some tuners do we just dont recommend or practice it.

We tuned the Z4 with these limits in mind like we do all of our projects keeping safety, reliability and performance in mind. We feel that we have achieved a nice balance and the most power we can without risk of issues or long term damage to the motor or transmission.
Ok, got it. Reliability for street cars is a big deal so it is important that you are making sure you don't exceed the factory specs (too much).

Yeah, you guys did a great job milking those increases from the stock hardware.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 11:20 PM   #13
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
Wow. But it still is nice gains. 50+ RWHP thru the mid range isn't too shabby. Would one need a different intake or exhaust along with the tuning, or is it all in SW controlled boost levels?

Would BMW discover the tune during routine maintenance? If a car is a lease, is it easy to pull the tune back out before the lease-end?
Stock intake is fine you could do exhaust if you wanted gains would be dependent on design. The software cannot be detected by dealers. It is very easy to re-flash the car back to stock.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 10:43 AM   #14
twin turbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Stock intake is fine you could do exhaust if you wanted gains would be dependent on design. The software cannot be detected by dealers. It is very easy to re-flash the car back to stock.
How are you handling the flash procedure? Do I send you the ECU? My Dinan flash had to be done by the dealer, no flash loader like I had for my GT500.
2014 Audi RS5 (sold)
2012 Audi TT RS (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 11:41 AM   #15
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

Quote:
How are you handling the flash procedure? Do I send you the ECU? My Dinan flash had to be done by the dealer, no flash loader like I had for my GT500.
No flash loader for this DME. The DME has to be sent to us. We turn them around in 24hrs in most cases.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 02:21 PM   #16
twin turbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I just ordered a JB+ and a BMS intake for the Z4.
2014 Audi RS5 (sold)
2012 Audi TT RS (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 01:08 PM   #17
WMLAW03
Rep
Drives: 2009 e89 Z4

Quote:
No flash loader for this DME. The DME has to be sent to us. We turn them around in 24hrs in most cases.
Will this procedure increase the governed top speed?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 01:30 PM   #18
Rubber Ducky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Rubber Ducky is correct the DCT maxes out around 375 ft-lbs.
This is the original quote, from this forum in March: "In January 2008 BMW introduced a double clutch transmission on their M3 model, manufactured by Getrag and dubbed M DCT (M Dual Clutch Transmission). The same transmission is to be used in the upcoming redesigned Z4 (the Sdrive35i version)[15]. For 2009 models, DCT is an option on the 335i. This is a $1600 option over the manual transmission. The transmission is said to be able to hold 500 NM of torque." That's 368 lb-ft. The quote was from a Wikipedia entry, which has been changed since to delete most of that paragraph. I offer no insights or special knowledge - just repeating what search tools reveal is out there....

Here is the original thread: http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthre...&highlight=370
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 10:36 AM   #19
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMLAW03 View Post
Will this procedure increase the governed top speed?
Top speed limit is removed
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 10:15 PM   #20
hyltonk
Registered
Canada
Rep

Just installed Vishnu piggy back upgrade - 70 WHP and 120 Ft/lb extra torque. Have 7 spd, dual clutch box. Car is still smooth and the low end is addictive. Serious punch and half the price of Dinan. Installed myself in 45 minutes, fully reversible, and they are amazing with answering questions. Best bang for the buck, by far.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 12:33 AM   #21
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyltonk View Post
Just installed Vishnu piggy back upgrade - 70 WHP and 120 Ft/lb extra torque. Have 7 spd, dual clutch box. Car is still smooth and the low end is addictive. Serious punch and half the price of Dinan. Installed myself in 45 minutes, fully reversible, and they are amazing with answering questions. Best bang for the buck, by far.
Went to their site and didn't see a specific application for the e89 model. Did you just apply one for the n54 engine?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 03:58 PM   #22
RPIpower
Captain
Rep
Drives: F97 X3M, G80 M3

We've been looking for a car here in so cal for a while now for intercooler, intake and exhaust development.
Appreciate 0