New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z435is

A Case for the DCT

“Are you ready to drive?”. The question came from my friend and fellow hoon-igan, between bites of I-can’t-remember overlooking the majestic cliffs of northern California. He’s referring to his SMG-II equipped E46 M3 convertible, which I spent the morning in the passenger seat of on our way from San Diego to Monterey for the Historics.

“I think so”, I replied. I’d not driven anything other than a manual transmission in over 12 years, and I was slightly hesitant to do something damaging on a car I didn’t own. “Remember, its just like a stick, but without the clutch pedal. Just drive it like you drive your car.”, he instructs. My car was an E85 Z4 3.0si, which truth be told I was missing considering the significance of the roads we were travelling and it being in Illinois. “Ok.”, I said. Still hesitant.

The car was parked on a slight forward incline, and as soon as I lifted the brake, we rolled forward, nearly into a flower box. I braked again. “See? Just like a stick”, my friend said, laughing. On the second try, we reversed smoothly and made our way up the last stretch of the Pacific Coast Highway into Monterey. In those 20 miles or so, I started to get it. I wasn’t sure if I liked it, but I did start to get it. It was like a stick, but without the clutch pedal. It also wasn’t like a stick, because there was no clutch pedal. It was a bit of a head scratcher, and I flew back home when the weekend was over unsure how I’d feel about ever owning something like that.

Two years later, I’m slightly hung over and up very early on a mild, mid-70 degree day in South Carolina. Before me, in perfect teutonic lines, are three rows of gleaming performance machines. The bench includes the latest M3 Coupe, M5 and 1M Coupe. One automatic, one stick and an M-DCT. This is M School. I should have gone to bed earlier the night before.

I spent the morning missing shifts in the 1M attacking a short, autocross-like course and getting yelled at over the radio. I spent lunch feeling like I’d never driven before and getting great feedback from instructors, who made me realize I was doing much better than I was giving myself credit for. Then, I spent the afternoon falling in love with the DCT.

When I got in the M3, I had no idea what to expect from this new transmission. Would it be like an automatic? Would it be like the SMG II I’d driven? An F1 car? What? The answer was far beyond my grasp to that point - it proved to be like nothing I’d ever driven or experienced before. It would be surreal. It would fucking rock.

The DCT shifted so quickly and so smoothly, it was almost hard to believe shifts were happening. I brought up memories of playing Gran Turismo years before, when shifting was as easy as hitting the circle button on my Playstation controller. For all the speed, amazement and wonder the upshifts induced, it paled into comparison to the uncontrollable smiles and giggles the downshifts elicited. That perfect blip of the throttle and the accompanying WHOOOMMMMM of that monstrous V8 made me want to drive the car All. Day. Long. It felt like a drug, a gasoline-powered aural explosion of a drug I never wanted to stop using.

I came away from that experience wanting that technology in a car I loved, which meant a roadster. In another year I’d test drive a Z435is, 6 months from that I placed my order, 10 weeks after that, I took delivery. I haven’t looked back since.

It is impossible to classify a DCT type transmission as a manual, or an automatic, it’s neither. It’s also impossible to determine whether you’d like it or not until you’ve driven it. The DCT on paper is very different than the DCT you drive, very different indeed, and truly its a new class of gearbox.

Finally, a note on the idea of a ‘proper’ gearbox. I’m not certain I understand what that means. Manual transmissions are an engineering solution to a mechanical problem, like anti-lock brakes or airbags. For many years, it was the preferred solution on cars with performance orientations, as there was no more advanced solution available. Now, engineers have devised a newer, novel solution, that employs two clutches and no pedal. This solution shifts faster than humans can themselves and helps keep the link between the engine and transmission in harmony by matching RPMs. It is a more advanced solution than the manual transmission. Notice, I didn’t use ‘better’, as ‘better‘ is relative, as it leads to the obvious “Better for what?” or “Better for who?”. It is simply more advanced, and no less proper than the technology that was in place before it. It is the technology I now prefer.

All comments welcome .
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
blschaefer1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 xDrive 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbetoni View Post
“Are you ready to drive?”. The question came from my friend and fellow hoon-igan, between bites of I-can’t-remember overlooking the majestic cliffs of northern California. He’s referring to his SMG-II equipped E46 M3 convertible, which I spent the morning in the passenger seat of on our way from San Diego to Monterey for the Historics.

“I think so”, I replied. I’d not driven anything other than a manual transmission in over 12 years, and I was slightly hesitant to do something damaging on a car I didn’t own. “Remember, its just like a stick, but without the clutch pedal. Just drive it like you drive your car.”, he instructs. My car was an E85 Z4 3.0si, which truth be told I was missing considering the significance of the roads we were travelling and it being in Illinois. “Ok.”, I said. Still hesitant.

The car was parked on a slight forward incline, and as soon as I lifted the brake, we rolled forward, nearly into a flower box. I braked again. “See? Just like a stick”, my friend said, laughing. On the second try, we reversed smoothly and made our way up the last stretch of the Pacific Coast Highway into Monterey. In those 20 miles or so, I started to get it. I wasn’t sure if I liked it, but I did start to get it. It was like a stick, but without the clutch pedal. It also wasn’t like a stick, because there was no clutch pedal. It was a bit of a head scratcher, and I flew back home when the weekend was over unsure how I’d feel about ever owning something like that.

Two years later, I’m slightly hung over and up very early on a mild, mid-70 degree day in South Carolina. Before me, in perfect teutonic lines, are three rows of gleaming performance machines. The bench includes the latest M3 Coupe, M5 and 1M Coupe. One automatic, one stick and an M-DCT. This is M School. I should have gone to bed earlier the night before.

I spent the morning missing shifts in the 1M attacking a short, autocross-like course and getting yelled at over the radio. I spent lunch feeling like I’d never driven before and getting great feedback from instructors, who made me realize I was doing much better than I was giving myself credit for. Then, I spent the afternoon falling in love with the DCT.

When I got in the M3, I had no idea what to expect from this new transmission. Would it be like an automatic? Would it be like the SMG II I’d driven? An F1 car? What? The answer was far beyond my grasp to that point - it proved to be like nothing I’d ever driven or experienced before. It would be surreal. It would fucking rock.

The DCT shifted so quickly and so smoothly, it was almost hard to believe shifts were happening. I brought up memories of playing Gran Turismo years before, when shifting was as easy as hitting the circle button on my Playstation controller. For all the speed, amazement and wonder the upshifts induced, it paled into comparison to the uncontrollable smiles and giggles the downshifts elicited. That perfect blip of the throttle and the accompanying WHOOOMMMMM of that monstrous V8 made me want to drive the car All. Day. Long. It felt like a drug, a gasoline-powered aural explosion of a drug I never wanted to stop using.

I came away from that experience wanting that technology in a car I loved, which meant a roadster. In another year I’d test drive a Z435is, 6 months from that I placed my order, 10 weeks after that, I took delivery. I haven’t looked back since.

It is impossible to classify a DCT type transmission as a manual, or an automatic, it’s neither. It’s also impossible to determine whether you’d like it or not until you’ve driven it. The DCT on paper is very different than the DCT you drive, very different indeed, and truly its a new class of gearbox.

Finally, a note on the idea of a ‘proper’ gearbox. I’m not certain I understand what that means. Manual transmissions are an engineering solution to a mechanical problem, like anti-lock brakes or airbags. For many years, it was the preferred solution on cars with performance orientations, as there was no more advanced solution available. Now, engineers have devised a newer, novel solution, that employs two clutches and no pedal. This solution shifts faster than humans can themselves and helps keep the link between the engine and transmission in harmony by matching RPMs. It is a more advanced solution than the manual transmission. Notice, I didn’t use ‘better’, as ‘better‘ is relative, as it leads to the obvious “Better for what?” or “Better for who?”. It is simply more advanced, and no less proper than the technology that was in place before it. It is the technology I now prefer.

All comments welcome .
Nice post, and FWIW, I agree completely with your conclusions. After years of driving a stick and finally getting to try a DCT in a 135i, I was hooked. No more manuals for me.

I thought long and hard about buying an Audi TTRS when the lease on my 135i was up. Audi chose only to import manuals to the US though. Deal breaker for me. In a Z4 35i (with Cobb Stage 1) now and I am one happy man.

I truly do 'get' those that like the involvement a stick provides. I just enjoy the DCT so much more. To each his own.

Last edited by blschaefer1; 08-28-2013 at 10:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 12:00 AM   #3
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

I like the DCT a lot too.

I appreciate that I can leave it in auto and focus on car placement, brake/turn in/apex/track out markers during the sighting laps. It is nice also not to worry about losing pedal pressure on the brake from heel/toe

I do think the downshifts are a bit lazy even in sport+ / manual mode. It would be nice to have the urgency of the GTR gearbox or Porsche PDK

Also, it would be nice if there was an option to force the car to stay in gear, even at the fuel cutoff, such as when the car is sliding on corner exit. Sometimes the car will upshift automatically at the redline right when I initiate an upshift so the car will upshift 2 gears instead of 1 and cost time.

For me, at $450 the DCT is a no brainer option. Great performance bang for the buck. Look at the M3 or Porsche option sheet and it is a $3000 option and at that point I would have to think harder whether or not it is worthwhile.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 05:02 AM   #4
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

It is the way of the future. Can't fight progress.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
vasmir
eh
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 M, 2016 F25

Can't roll start a DCT!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasmir
Can't roll start a DCT!
You shouldn't roll start a manual ideally. You can spoil the cats.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 2018 TTRS

Within 5 years you won't be able to buy a manual from BMW so you probably want to get used to the DCT. Better technology and it is here to stay.

Last edited by Lambobimmer; 08-29-2013 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 06:55 AM   #8
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

I drove manuals for years and love then interaction between car and drivers. However after going to the BMW Performance School in Spartanburg and driving the M3, Z4 35is and 135i on 3 different tracks and events, all with DCT transmissions, I was looked.

I cannot get enough of the Z in Sport + /Manual, the shifting performance under full throttle and hearing the pops and burbles of the exhaust running thru the gears.

Best decision on a transmission I ever made.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 07:13 PM   #9
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z435is

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4RIDER
I drove manuals for years and love then interaction between car and drivers. However after going to the BMW Performance School in Spartanburg and driving the M3, Z4 35is and 135i on 3 different tracks and events, all with DCT transmissions, I was looked.

I cannot get enough of the Z in Sport + /Manual, the shifting performance under full throttle and hearing the pops and burbles of the exhaust running thru the gears.

Best decision on a transmission I ever made.
Thanks for the response. Seems like you had a similar experience at M School.

Funny thing is, while there they told us 70% of attendees purchase a new BMW within 12 months of completing the program. I chuckled at the time, and exactly 11 months later placed my order. Guess they know a thing or three.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 07:35 PM   #10
alan64
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blschaefer1 View Post
Nice post, and FWIW, I agree completely with your conclusions. After years of driving a stick and finally getting to try a DCT in a 135i, I was hooked. No more manuals for me.

I thought long and hard about buying an Audi TTRS when the lease on my 135i was up. Audi chose only to import manuals to the US though. Deal breaker for me. In a Z4 35i (with Cobb Stage 1) now and I am one happy man.

I truly do 'get' those that like the involvement a stick provides. I just enjoy the DCT so much more. To each his own.
i have had a lot of cars over the years. The manuals I always sold quicker, because of getting tired of them in heavy traffic. I love this dct transmission. When you are in the mood, its a blast, and when you get stuck in heavy traffic, its a pleasure. The best of both worlds.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 02:45 AM   #11
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

100% agree and very well written. All my cars are now automatics with the Z4 having DCT and I'm loving this change in technology. I still have a MZ3 that's stick but I keep it for nostalgia purposes and the MT is a big part of that. I love shifting gears manually but after the DCT, any reasonable man would accept the fact that MT is inefficient, slow, and more physically and mentally demanding.
      09-01-2013, 06:27 AM   #12
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc
100% agree and very well written. All my cars are now automatics with the Z4 having DCT and I'm loving this change in technology. I still have a MZ3 that's stick but I keep it for nostalgia purposes and the MT is a big part of that. I love shifting gears manually but after the DCT, any reasonable man would accept the fact that MT is inefficient, slow, and more physically and mentally demanding.
I'm not on a track so whether I can shift in 0.1 seconds or 0.5 seconds makes no difference to me at all. And physically and mentally I think I'm up to the task. In fact, that's part of the allure. Call me unreasonable.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #13
Klepper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc
I'm not on a track so whether I can shift in 0.1 seconds or 0.5 seconds makes no difference to me at all. And physically and mentally I think I'm up to the task. In fact, that's part of the allure. Call me unreasonable.
+1

I guess I am unreasonable as well. More demanding = more fun for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #14
Alpha_Zulu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z4 35is, Alpine White

Garage List
I honestly like both the DCT and the manual. Right now I'm on my 2nd vehicle with the DCT. It's fun as hell to move the shifter over and have that instant power at your finger tips. Being able to down shift/up shift so flawlessly and seemlessly is fun. Although I do find myself missing the interaction of having my hand on the stick and having to operate the clutch.

I can't say I prefer one over the other. In an ideal world, I'd have two cars. One with the DCT and the other manual.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #15
09cbb
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
+1

2024 BMW M2
2022 BMW i4 M50
2011 BMW Z4 sdrive 35i | ESS Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 12:42 AM   #16
vasmir
eh
Rep

To me, nailing a perfect heal-toe downshift on a Saturday morning drive more than makes up for sitting in the horrible commuter traffic Monday through Friday.

Nowadays no one's going to argue that a MT is not "inefficient, slow, and more physically and mentally demanding" compared to the DCT... but that's partially the point, isn't it?
The gearbox you see as 'more enjoyable' is completely subjective.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #17
MickOpalak
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 Lotus Exige S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbetoni View Post
It is impossible to classify a DCT type transmission as a manual, or an automatic, it’s neither.
I really like the DCT in my Z4, but it's not impossible to classify it. If you're not manually disengaging and engaging the clutch with your left foot and not manually putting the transmission into the next gear with a right hand, it's not a manual. Simple as that. When you hit the paddle shifter a computer automatically disengages the clutch, a computer automatically puts the transmission into the next gear and a computer automatically engages the clutch. A DCT is a form of automatic transmission. Simple as that.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 02:59 AM   #18
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Who cares about semantics, it's the *best* tranny out there and the way of the future. Enough of the retro-grouchy statements already.

EDIT:
(re proper way to drive MTs)
-if you don't have both hands on the wheel immediately after shifting, you're driving it wrong
-if you leave your shifting hand on the gearshift, you're driving it wrong
-if your left foot doesn't go back onto the dead pedal immediately after shifting, you're driving it wrong
-if you rest your left foot on the clutch, you're driving it wrong
-if you don't cup the gearshift when shifting, you're driving it wrong
-if you hold the gearshift like a trigger/gun, you're driving it wrong
-etc etc etc

I really wonder how many ppl actually drive their MTs properly.

MT is an inefficient way to drive that is finally getting the heave-ho. Having one's foot (always) on the dead pedal is totally underestimated: it secures the driver to become one w/ the car and hence s/he has a better sense of control. One cannot do that if one is always fidgeting around w/ both feet in the air, so to speak.

MT's time has come and gone.

Last edited by tranquility; 09-05-2013 at 03:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #19
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

I've had all manual cars until the Z4. I quite like it. I drive it in manual mode most of them. But when I get stuck in traffic, auto mode is a godsend.

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #20
vasmir
eh
Rep

I bet you 50 years from now there will be serious arguments about whether or not self-driving cars are "better" than having a human turn a steering wheel.

"Cars driven by humans are completely unsafe!" They'll say. "Slower and less efficient!!"
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #21
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasmir View Post
I bet you 50 years from now there will be serious arguments about whether or not self-driving cars are "better" than having a human turn a steering wheel.

"Cars driven by humans are completely unsafe!" They'll say. "Slower and less efficient!!"
Well, considering many ppl are morons that can't even do basic tasks, that is not an unreasonable argument when it comes to operating a ~3-4,000lb machine. How many auto accidents do we see everyday? How many are avoidable? Virtually all of them if ppl just paid more attn, don't overestimate their already miniscule skills and not be distracted w/ garbage like texting, putting on makeup, eating, DUI(!), etc etc etc.

I can almost srsly bet my net worth vs any random driver on the basis of who is the better (i.e. smarter/safer) driver. Bill Gates would be licking my boots in no time.

Last edited by tranquility; 09-05-2013 at 11:01 PM.. Reason: DUI
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 11:56 PM   #22
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasmir View Post

Doesn't need to be 50 years. Completely autonomous cars will be a reality in the next couple of decades. We already have most of the technologies required today. Just need more miniaturization, cost reduction, and some regulatory changes.

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0