New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-07-2015, 05:20 PM   #1
azure82
Rep
Drives: z4 e89

Question Why some cars don't have back speaker trim?

Hi all,

Currently I'm looking for e89 Z4.
During searching thru internet and do some test drive, I found couple of cars don't have back speaker cover.
(You can find empty hole at bottom right of pic)

Although that doesn't seem to big issue, I really don't understand why someone remove that part.

Any thoughts?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 02:43 AM   #2
gbell210
e89 fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e89 sDrive30

The 30i I test drove had a hard solid cover (no speaker option on the model) I wanted to see what was behind it, but when I removed it I broke a clip. I did buy the car and luckily it has 2 other clips that hold it for now. But being hard plastic and a convertible in the sun, I can only assume it gets brittle easily. And if bumped to hard, could break the plastic clips.

I want to convert that space (since I don't have a speaker there) into another storage cubby somehow, but haven't had the chance to yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 12:54 PM   #3
kosd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M4 Convertible

If you get the standard audio package, there are no sub woofers, no external amp and no tweeters (the pods are empty). You must be looking at one with that package which like mine, has no speaker grills in the back behind the seats.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 02:52 PM   #4
cloudzidane
Registered
Rep
Drives: z4

back cover is missing because when driving down the freeway with the top down a jet stream is created where the speaker should be (only premium audio package has sub speaker) this pushes the cover off. results in the cover flying into the freeway lost forever. this has happen to me a few time already.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 02:55 PM   #5
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

The trim part flies off when driving with the top down at very high speeds. It is a common issue. New owners should add some glue on the clips inside before it is too late.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 07:51 AM   #6
DKZTT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
The trim part flies off when driving with the top down at very high speeds. It is a common issue. New owners should add some glue on the clips inside before it is too late.
+1, had mine fly off but the draft threw it back towards the windshield, took me by surprised, for a moment thought someone threw something at me
      07-31-2015, 09:53 AM   #7
Trooper72
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i M-Sport

that piece of trim is yet another source of unneccessary "resonance creaks" too, so we are better off without it. Even better option, imo, is to add some soft stuff in the critical points in the opening that remove any resonance and also make the cover stay even in high speed top down runs.
Another such source of resonance creaking are the two roll-over bars behind the head rests, made of three plastic pieces each.
Appreciate 0