New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

12-18-2009, 04:47 AM   #23
mrboon
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Speeeed

jb3 jb3 jb3!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 08:58 AM   #24
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

I wish ESS was in Texas
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 03:25 PM   #25
unicenter
Z4 35i DCT,X5 35d Hartge Tuned,Mini R56 JCW
Greece
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT,X5 35d Hartge Tuned

I have Vishnu Tuning for more than 1000km.
The car now is really fast.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 04:01 PM   #26
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Ok- First the is will not be a dealer installed option. There is way more to it than a simple software update.

Second- BMW Performance will be introducing a version of the power kit for the Z4 at some point in the not so distant future, not the same levels as the SI but close when equipped with DCT/exhaust. The overboost function will remain specific to the is as will the software mapping of the DCT.

I will have some great info I can share in the next week.

The quoted info posted in several posts is for the 135/335 and not the Z4. That is some old info.

The kit in the 135 and 335 is fantastic when equipped with the exhaust!

Last edited by mapezzul; 01-14-2010 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 10:14 PM   #27
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
Ok- First the SI will not be a dealer installed option. There is way more to it than a simple software update.

Second- BMW Performance will be introducing a version of the power kit for the Z4 at some point in the not so distant future, not the same levels as the SI but close when equipped with DCT/exhaust. The overboost function will remain specific to the SI as will the software mapping of the DCT.

I will have some great info I can share in the next week.

The quoted info posted in several posts is for the 135/335 and not the Z4. That is some old info.

The kit in the 135 and 335 is fantastic when equipped with the exhaust!
well, our Z4 is about to be equipped with Eisenmann 2x90 Race Exhaust - so hurry up with the Power Kit for the Z4 (and yes, we have DCT - awesome)
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2009, 04:15 AM   #28
mrboon
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
well, our Z4 is about to be equipped with Eisenmann 2x90 Race Exhaust - so hurry up with the Power Kit for the Z4 (and yes, we have DCT - awesome)
pics, videos and you shall get
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2009, 10:36 AM   #29
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Ok- First the SI will not be a dealer installed option. There is way more to it than a simple software update.
Really? More to it? How so - please explain. From what I see there's some cosmetic features, slight change to the muffler baffles, and a software flash to the power train and that's it. Am I missing something?

Quote:
Second- BMW Performance will be introducing a version of the power kit for the Z4 at some point in the not so distant future, not the same levels as the SI but close when equipped with DCT/exhaust. The overboost function will remain specific to the SI as will the software mapping of the DCT.
". . .not the same levels as the SI"

It's not like this BMW upgrade is a monster. I think I may be confused as to what your talking about. Please explain.

Not to sound overly critical of BMW, but here's my take on it: They make a big deal about "overboost" when in fact tuners are safety producing more "normal" boost that BMW, who is producing a lot less hp/tq than their competitors such as Dinan. He has a 400+ hp kit for the 335i n54. Based on my conversation with Dinan a couple of months ago, his e89 n54 kit will be every bit as good as the 335i version, plus he has a great warranty, and BTW he's not worried abut the DCT.

The Z4 35is red is cool, I don't like the interior change, so apart from the new front fascia which I do like, one has to say - what's the big deal?.

It's no different than the inline 6 n54 they're dropping in a 7 series and using the term "virtual displacement", which is utter nonsense. If they had said they are cranking up the dynamic compression ratio I'd buy it, but your displacement volume doesn't change by turbo charging - it's a static number based on the simple calculation: displacement = bore x stroke. It's just like saying a turbocharged 3.0L engine really behaves like a 3.5L engine, hence the label 35i. If they were honest they would say the n54 behaves like a turbocharged 3.0L engine and call it a 30tt. BMW is using marketing double talk in attempt to redefine basic engineering terms and it's an unfortunate fact that some people, who don't know better, may buy it.

Anyway, at the end of the day all that matters is that people are happy with their cars.

Last edited by teagueAMX; 12-20-2009 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2009, 11:36 AM   #30
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by godius View Post
pics, videos and you shall get
You bet - should be installed by the new year and pics with video will follow. Then I will consider mild power modifications of some type that may include a bigger oil cooler, intercooler, and software upgrade from ESS, Dinan, or somebody. Any suggestions of these modest upgrades would be appreciated as I am generally ignorant of the aftermarket possibilities. I am shooting to put together a "competing package" to BMW's not yet released Power Package for the Z4 35i. I am targeting no more than $3,500 total with a comparison to BMW's package for the 335i and 135i. Then I will decide whether to go Factory or Aftermarket.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 10:40 PM   #31
Tenorino
Rep
Drives: Fred Flintstone Sedan

Free upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbydog View Post
My service director told me that he can just update my car at no cost if it's done during a scheduled inspection. There's really no labor cost to doing it other than having to plug it to a machine and wait. People who still haven't taken delivery yet should ask if you can have the upgraded software installed before taking delivery.
Have you got this done yet? Care to share which dealer in LA is willing to do this at no cost?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 11:50 AM   #32
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

This is a complete load of BS- there is no "free" upgrade. The "is" uses different cooling, additional oil cooler and radiator as well as some other differences. Under testing they modified the car several times because the results were not what they wanted.

It is not a software flash- nor has BMW ever offered solely a flash for any upgrade.
      01-14-2010, 01:59 PM   #33
oscar-z
Rep
Drives: SDRIVE 35I

ac schnitzer do chip for the z4 35i and that takes power to
360 bhp and 384 torque and they give a full warranty.
they have a car in bmw car magazine
i phoned them for price of front splitter £580
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 12:17 AM   #34
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
This is a complete load of BS- there is no "free" upgrade. The "is" uses different cooling, additional oil cooler and radiator as well as some other differences. Under testing they modified the car several times because the results were not what they wanted.
That sound like the Dinan upgrade as well. You simply can't get there long term without doing other stuff as well - it's a package that keeps the engine sustainability on par with the increased hp/tq.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 04:52 AM   #35
mrboon
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Ill race any 35is with my 35i, and smoke them
Appreciate 0