New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #1
BugsBunny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 3.5i, 2022 Macan S

Tire repair system for non-RFT ?

As many of us, I removed the RFT to install Standard tires. What would you recommend for tire repair system ?
I spotted the following options:
- BMW Mobility Kit at $127
- Continental ContiComfortKit at $88
- Slime Safety Spair kit at $35

If anyone has recommendations and/or experience with the above systems, please share.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsBunny View Post
As many of us, I removed the RFT to install Standard tires. What would you recommend for tire repair system ?
I spotted the following options:
- BMW Mobility Kit at $127
- Continental ContiComfortKit at $88
- Slime Safety Spair kit at $35

If anyone has recommendations and/or experience with the above systems, please share.

Thanks.
ditched my runflats. Since then, I've taken two nails. I have a $20 Slime Inflator and a bottle of slime (Target). Also have a $10 kit with plugs and a tool to insert the plugs. Haven't used the slime yet and don't know how good it is at sealing a hole; in both cases I managed to plug the holes.
Maybe others will disagree, but I'm thinking: if the hole is small enough for some sealant to work, I should be able to plug it. Otherwise, neither will be effective, at least not for long. So far, I haven't had to test the sealant.
An air compressor is a good idea. The one that came with the $20 kit seems adequate.
Only other thing I've considered doing is carrying a jack of some sort.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 05:28 PM   #3
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
BMW Mobility Kit

works great ... had it on my e46 and again on my e92. Don't mind paying a few more dollars. It is a quality set. Remember you get what you pay for, same as your Z great car

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #4
BimmaDrew
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 325 Ci

I haven't confirmed this, but I've been told to be careful with sealants such as slime because it can mess up the tire pressure sensor...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 10:27 PM   #5
zedguy
Rep
Drives: 2011 z43.5is

It could mess up a tire pressure sender if the z had one. The new z's look at the differential of wheel rotation to determine a flat so there in no internal sensor to mess up.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 10:35 PM   #6
cdeslandes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedguy View Post
It could mess up a tire pressure sender if the z had one. The new z's look at the differential of wheel rotation to determine a flat so there in no internal sensor to mess up.
Incorrect. There's a valve sensor in every wheel.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 03:10 AM   #7
Mick70
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35i (before: 23i)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeslandes View Post
Incorrect. There's a valve sensor in every wheel.
So there is a difference between US and EU models or the newer models entertain valve sensors? My 2009 E89 still has only that speed difference sensor to detect flat tires.

Best regards

Mick
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 05:09 AM   #8
tot
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 sDrive35i

In the user manual they describe both possibilities. It could be that sensors are used in US cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 12:49 PM   #9
cdeslandes
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick70 View Post
So there is a difference between US and EU models or the newer models entertain valve sensors? My 2009 E89 still has only that speed difference sensor to detect flat tires.

Best regards

Mick
I believe you're correct. US cars have the sensors, cars in other markets may not.

We mandate sensors in the U.S. because drivers over here are totally ignorant of the concept of checking one tires' pressure regularly...
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #10
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmaDrew View Post
I haven't confirmed this, but I've been told to be careful with sealants such as slime because it can mess up the tire pressure sensor...
You heard correct ... in addition once you did use it the tire is history and needs to be replaced. I saw the German weekly car magazine show only yesterday "drive it" on DW (Deutsche Welle on TV), they looked at all available options and that is what the experts say. So it must be true.

I assume the sealant that one injects inside must wonder around inside the tire (changing positions from time to time based upon temperature changes) this then would definitely affect the tier balance and render the tire no longer usable. Unless one can clean up the excess I am only assuming this to be the reason that the tire then can no longer be used.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 05:13 PM   #11
cdeslandes
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
You heard correct ... in addition once you did use it the tire is history and needs to be replaced. I saw the German weekly car magazine show only yesterday "drive it" on DW (Deutsche Welle on TV), they looked at all available options and that is what the experts say. So it must be true.

I assume the sealant that one injects inside must wonder around inside the tire (changing positions from time to time based upon temperature changes) this then would definitely affect the tier balance and render the tire no longer usable. Unless one can clean up the excess I am only assuming this to be the reason that the tire then can no longer be used.

You're probably right.

However one must take the following trade-off into account:
  • A tire costs USD $200 to $250 - say $300 mounted.
  • Compare that to the cost and inconvenience of being stranded (possible hotel, missed plane etc.) Remember Murphy's law, you seldom get a flat in your driveway!
  • Consider the safety factor. Again, per Murphy you'll break down at night in a rough area, not on Sunday afternoon at the country club!
  • Any serious puncture, and ANY damage to the sidewal warrants a tire replacement anyway.

(per my own recent experience with flat tires: once late at night on the highway near a so-so New York neighborhood; once in pouring rain on my way to the airport - missed my flight - on the highway near a so-so Connecticut neighborhood. Damn Murphy!)
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 12:26 AM   #12
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Slime is OK, but only as a last resort.

The slime gets hard inside the tire and seals the leak, but gets all over you rim, too.

I wouldn't recommend it, but one could consider using it as a long term solution once a leak is fixed, but you'll have to get the tire balanced, if it's possible. Sometimes that's not possible to balance the tire effectively if the slime globs up in one spot. Once you've slimed a tire, it's really better to replace it ASAP.

I've plugged many leaks saving myself several hundred of dollars in tire replacements. Plugging should be done only in the flat tread area, never on the curve of the tread of the sidewall, although I was talking to a guy the other day who say he did a sidewall plug and it was OK. I'd be concerned that sidewall plug alters the radial structure so I wouldn't trust it high speeds.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 10-13-2011 at 12:38 AM..
Appreciate 0