New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

03-01-2024, 05:46 PM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

'Red' roof error message

Recently, I got this which pops up for a few secs and disappears. It's winter here so I don't have my trunk hatch thingy closed, so roof can't be opened/used even if I press the button. Anyway, this error msg didn't really bother me but last night I had a nervous moment cuz the msg popped up again and my stupid butterfingers somehow pressed the button for all windows to go down, so now I'm in another area of town far from home wondering how to get back w/o freezing to death (as the windows were stuck down and I couldn't open the trunk).

Fortunately, after a few minutes of tinkering, flicking the window switches, on/off the car, pressing the roof buttons, it went back to normal and I was able to close the windows.

Just wanna know if anyone has had similar experiences and what happened afterwards? What was the cause? I'm guess it's some loose thing/sensor that made it go crazy?

(FYI I don't have a scanner and don't bother w that since I pretty much bring my repairs to the dealer/indy.)
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2024, 04:39 PM   #2
B21
Captain
Rep
Drives: E89 Atacama Yellow 35is

Can be a few things but if the micro switches on the rams get damp seems to cause this ..it’s really a sign for replacing them..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2024, 07:32 PM   #3
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B21 View Post
Can be a few things but if the micro switches on the rams get damp seems to cause this ..it’s really a sign for replacing them..
I'm not technical re the bold, where are they located please?

It's been 13+ years, I guess this is acceptable?
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 02:21 AM   #4
RobbiZ4
Call me "Dr. Bob"
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89 sDrive 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
I'm not technical....
So better to not think about a DIY disaster in that area.

These complex machines (aka roof) need some maintenance after 5 to 10 years. Ignoring this, leads to exact these problems you are collecting since a min of 2.5 years.

It'll be easier to have a look at my recommendation lists aka maintenance threads.
https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=130932

To be honest, your current strategy to stumble into each and every pitfall is suboptimal.

Most of these issues you are suffering on are avoidable, but of course can be taken. Then it'll be cold'n wet for a while.

Last edited by RobbiZ4; 03-03-2024 at 02:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 06:06 AM   #5
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbiZ4 View Post
So better to not think about a DIY disaster in that area.

These complex machines (aka roof) need some maintenance after 5 to 10 years. Ignoring this, leads to exact these problems you are collecting since a min of 2.5 years.

It'll be easier to have a look at my recommendation lists aka maintenance threads.
https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=130932

To be honest, your current strategy to stumble into each and every pitfall is suboptimal.

Most of these issues you are suffering on are avoidable, but of course can be taken. Then it'll be cold'n wet for a while.
Tx for link but not sure what's w the attitude? Like you said, the roof is a complicated sys and few if any reg owners know how to maintain it or should be required to, which upon brief perusal of your info involves taking apart some items, not exactly 'piece of cake' territory. There no pitfall that I walked into, no idea what the heck you're referring to...

Also, this site is set up weirdly and it's not easy to navigate, e.g. your threads aren't readily apparent.

Anyway, I fixed the prb for now, just an electrical gremlin.

I doubt there are many owners w more mileage and also w a properly functioning roof like mine, so I'm definitely up there in terms of reliability.

Last edited by tranquility; 03-03-2024 at 06:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 07:38 AM   #6
javis20
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 3.0i Silver

The link is right there in RobbiZ4's post.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 11:25 AM   #7
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by javis20 View Post
The link is right there in RobbiZ4's post.
Right, that's the first time I saw it, and as I've said it's not exactly child's play the stuff it entails. In any event, not sure why he's getting irritated at me like there was anything reasonable I could've done to have prevented this electrical gremlin.
Appreciate 0