New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Closed Thread

01-16-2015, 08:23 PM   #1
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

BQ Tuning New Project Car Z4 Sdrive35i

Lets welcome our new project car for the Z435i(s) community. We have a handful of Z435i(s) cars that we are custom tuning, and decided to bring on a Z for our next project car and bought a Silver Surfer beauty yesterday with the M Sport package, no nav, as this will strickly be for track, R&D and racing

Tuning started today just on mere 89 Octane for 91 Octane to create a base map for those who are just mere stock.

Curently the Z435i(s) cars we are tunining are FBO, and not everyone is FBO. So, if you have a Z435i(s) you dont need to be FBO to get tuned. All you need is the COBB AP v2 or v3 and we can tune your Z435i(s) with DCT or MT.

I have tones of experience tuning the DCT, this is my specialty on the N54 platform.

If you are interested in custom tuning or pricing please email BQ@*************

We will update this thread on progress with logs, and hardware upgrades,

Last edited by BQTuning; 03-31-2016 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2015, 08:53 PM   #2
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

Awesome! Glad to see you're on this platform.
GC LITES / BQ TUNE / MHD / FUEL IT BT ECA / WALBRO 525 LPFP / KW V3 / E9X M3 CONTROL ARMS / TURNER REAR CAMBER ARMS / RE BUSHINGS / H&R SWAYS / LUXON STRUTBAR / VRSF 7.5" FMIC / ER CP / TIAL BOV / VTT IN/OUTLETS / AFE PRO5R INTAKE / AR C.L. DP / BMS OCC / RB PVC / CF LIP + SIDE + SPOILER + DIFFUSER / IND REFLECTORS / BLK GRILLS / STUBBY / PB BBK / Forgestar F14 F: 19x9 et35 R: 19x10 et38/ Michelin PSS F: 245/35/19 R: 275/30/19
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 07:19 PM   #3
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Interesting stuff. Can you briefly explain what the advantages of using your maps are compared to, say, the OTS Cobb maps or a Cobb ProTune on a dyno?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 08:17 PM   #4
RobC2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: different makes and models.

E-mail sent!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 06:01 AM   #5
spence88mph
Rep
Drives: Z435is

This is cool, you're like a tuning god on the 335 boards! Do you still use the 35is overboost feature or is this mainly 35i tuning?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 05:09 PM   #6
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
Interesting stuff. Can you briefly explain what the advantages of using your maps are compared to, say, the OTS Cobb maps or a Cobb ProTune on a dyno?
Our maps are unlocked, so you get to see and learn, that the right, as we believe, you should have. to be able to see what going on, and perhaps you can also learn from teh maps to tune your own car.

The OTS maps are exactly that, they were tuned for one car specific and then made as OTS. The OTS maps do not optimize the DCT performance at all, in fact they hurt the DCT performance with delays between shift then the car starts to feel like a 6AT. There is more power to get out of your fuel and mods, even being stock.

So in other word you getting a tune tailored to your car's and based on what you like or dislike. Most of all what the car likes or dislikes

We have an innovative approach called Q-Logic which allows us to achieve that highest possible boost of 21.4 PSI per the DME max limit on "any" N54 car regardless of ROM. We are also able to achieve high torque output, less timing corrections, reduce velocity rise of IAT cause by EGT. Of course this type power can only be done on a car that has full-bolt-ons (FBO) running E85 mixture fuels.

We will tune to whatever your comfortable with and what you car tells us it is comfortable with.

We current hold the 335i XI 1/4 ET world record
We curently hold the 335is trap speed record on stock turbos / full weight
We currently hold the max power dyno record on stock turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence88mph View Post
This is cool, you're like a tuning (guru) on the 335 boards! Do you still use the 35is overboost feature or is this mainly 35i tuning?
Just to clarify, all N54B30TO cars ie 1M, 335is, Z435i(s) are able to use "overboost" to fine tune the system load ie to add more power to the initial requested load. One of the innovations with Q-Logic is we have taken "overboost" to another level of literally "overboost" ie overboosting the boost target. We use them both hand in hand especially on the N54B30TO where the innovation was developed

So, you can turn your Z4 sDrive 35i into a Z4 sDrive 35is software performance wise. However we go beyond the BMW overboost performance concept

I am dialing the new car ATM when I am done with a base tune i will post up logs and videos
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 05:25 PM   #7
spence88mph
Rep
Drives: Z435is

Is there a list of bolt ons you would recommend to get the best results from the wedge tunes? Eg, downpipes and intake, you also don't mention JB4s, are they not needed at all?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 08:24 PM   #8
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence88mph View Post
Is there a list of bolt ons you would recommend to get the best results from the wedge tunes? Eg, downpipes and intake, you also don't mention JB4s, are they not needed at all?
Piggybacks are not needed, nor backend flash for the piggyback. We can produce the same or more power with just the COBB AP.

I highly recommed

Upgraded FMIC - whoever supports the E89 and canfirmed their FMIC will fit. I personally am looking at the ER FMIC+ ER Chargepipe setup for this chasis, unless something else is confirmed. There is a thread somewhere around here with confirmed FMIC.

ChargePipe - I preffer the ER chargepipe with 1 bung

aFe Stage 2 SI - highly recommended, it had been proven to support 23 PSI with no chocking on the stock turbos and inlet. I dont like DCI cause they pull hot air from the engine bay, and causes the DME to run more WGDC, and taxes your gas milage.

HighFlow Catted Downpipes - I am not a fan of cattless DP (personal preference) but either or will do. I personally dont like to risk drone, rasp, and fuel smell.

If your stock we can still tune the car, any upgrade on mods we will retune. The only thing we charge additional for is "fueling" change maps

If you have access to E85 then with the supported mods above there is a ton more power to be made.

Last edited by BQTuning; 01-20-2015 at 08:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 08:50 PM   #9
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Customer feed back and result in which I am almost done with

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1081242
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 08:27 AM   #10
Ramjet
Private
Rep
Drives: z4 35i

Fellow Z4 enthusiasts!

I have a Z4 35i with DCT, FBO + RB's. I ran with the JB4 for about 3 years, starting even before they went back end flash. While I think it is a good product that definitely provided good power bursts, my car felt inconsistent in that it did not always perform the same every time I stamped on the throttle.

Also, my car felt that it wasn't happy (hard to explain the feeling) with the extra power - especially the DCT. Unfortunately there was no support for DCT owners and my queries were essentially dismissed. I got to the point that I was getting frustrated with my car, so I through time to try an alternative path and had heard good things about Wedge Performance and was particularly interested with his partnering with BuraQ who ran a 335is - finally some DCT support out there!

So, I took the leap, removed the JB4 and installed the Wedge/BuraQ flash. I cannot stress enough to you the grin that is now on my face every time I drive my car. I love my Z4 and now I really LOVE MY Z4!!! The car is so smooth in it's power application, more powerful and so consistently applied in that I know what it is going to do every time I press that throttle! My car feels so much happier (again not a real technical term there, but it best describes the feeling of the car) and feels like it is actually made for this power. And the DCT, wow performance plus!

I'm only part way through my tuning with BuraQ and Wedge, my experience so far is that they are thorough, methodical, and happy to spend time with you explaining what they are doing and why they are doing it. Everything is open - no secrets, and they are both real enthusiasts in that performance is not just a business case to them. I actually don't think either of them sleep as they are always there ready to help - and I'm on the other side of the world!

I can't stress enough, take the pill and you won't regret it!!!

Last edited by Ramjet; 01-20-2015 at 08:40 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2015, 07:47 PM   #11
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

Ramjet, great write up! It's definitely very exciting to have Wedge/ Buraq supporting our platform, as well members like you, wmandra, and lambobimmer that are pushing the envelope. I hope to join you guys soon, as soon as the lease is up and I pull the trigger on the buy. You guys are inspiration!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 11:03 PM   #12
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
Our maps are unlocked, so you get to see and learn, that the right, as we believe, you should have. to be able to see what going on, and perhaps you can also learn from teh maps to tune your own car.

The OTS maps are exactly that, they were tuned for one car specific and then made as OTS. The OTS maps do not optimize the DCT performance at all, in fact they hurt the DCT performance with delays between shift then the car starts to feel like a 6AT. There is more power to get out of your fuel and mods, even being stock.

So in other word you getting a tune tailored to your car's and based on what you like or dislike. Most of all what the car likes or dislikes

We have an innovative approach called Q-Logic which allows us to achieve that highest possible boost of 21.4 PSI per the DME max limit on "any" N54 car regardless of ROM. We are also able to achieve high torque output, less timing corrections, reduce velocity rise of IAT cause by EGT. Of course this type power can only be done on a car that has full-bolt-ons (FBO) running E85 mixture fuels.

We will tune to whatever your comfortable with and what you car tells us it is comfortable with.

We current hold the 335i XI 1/4 ET world record
We curently hold the 335is trap speed record on stock turbos / full weight
We currently hold the max power dyno record on stock turbos
Thanks for the information. Can you elaborate on what you mean when you said you "will tune to whatever your comfortable with and what you car tells us it is comfortable with"? How are you able to tell what the car is comfortable running before, for example, suffering detonation from excessively aggressive timing? (This is a genuine question, by the way, not rhetorical.)

Also, would you mind giving more detail about what you mean with the DCT? Do you guys tune the DCT as well?

Lastly, is this the intake you had in mind:

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-43...FchffgodMJoAXg

Quote:
Just to clarify, all N54B30TO cars ie 1M, 335is, Z435i(s) are able to use "overboost" to fine tune the system load ie to add more power to the initial requested load. One of the innovations with Q-Logic is we have taken "overboost" to another level of literally "overboost" ie overboosting the boost target. We use them both hand in hand especially on the N54B30TO where the innovation was developed

So, you can turn your Z4 sDrive 35i into a Z4 sDrive 35is software performance wise. However we go beyond the BMW overboost performance concept

I am dialing the new car ATM when I am done with a base tune i will post up logs and videos
I would appreciate hearing more about turning a 35i into a 35is. Is this only for stock cars or is there still some benefit to FBO cars running high boost?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 07:31 PM   #13
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the information. Can you elaborate on what you mean when you said you "will tune to whatever your comfortable with and what you car tells us it is comfortable with"? How are you able to tell what the car is comfortable running before, for example, suffering detonation from excessively aggressive timing? (This is a genuine question, by the way, not rhetorical.)
Logs....

Quote:
Also, would you mind giving more detail about what you mean with the DCT? Do you guys tune the DCT as well?
We can tune the system to work properly with the DCT for faster shift engagement, and of course no slippage while producing more torque

Quote:

yes

Quote:
I would appreciate hearing more about turning a 35i into a 35is. Is this only for stock cars or is there still some benefit to FBO cars running high boost?
"Software performance" wise. The 35is Overboost is enabled from the factory, the 35i overboost is left dormant, which can be made active the way we use it on the 335is and 35is . Doesnt matter stock or FBO

Last edited by BQTuning; 01-22-2015 at 05:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 01:42 PM   #14
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Logs....

We can tune the system to work properly with the DCT for faster shift engagement, and of course no slippage while producing more torque

yes

"Software performance" wise. The 35is Overboost is enabled from the factory, the 35i overboost is left dormant, which can be made active the way we use it on the 335is and 35is . Doesnt matter stock or FBO
Thank you for the responses. I am interested in having you tune our Z4. What is the best way to get in touch with you?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 10:14 PM   #15
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the responses. I am interested in having you tune our Z4. What is the best way to get in touch with you?
email BuraQ@mybmw335is.com

Last edited by BQTuning; 02-29-2016 at 05:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 12:19 PM   #16
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
E-mail sent!
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2015, 08:55 AM   #17
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

Quote:

See this was going for as low as $350 in 2011, now can only find $450 and up....
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 03:26 PM   #18
razorjimmy
Bang !
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP Coupe

I think my car is next

Ozgun
      02-08-2015, 04:50 AM   #19
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorjimmy View Post
I think my car is next

Ozgun
Just sent you your map, now Im gonna sleeeep
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 05:22 AM   #20
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

You've finally joined the Z4 party!

We have the same colour combo. Titanium Silver looks great when it's clean.

I've just ordered the LCI side repeaters from BMW. I think the pre-LCI ones are a bit crap.

Why did you go for a manual? Didn't like the DCT in your 335is?
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2015, 10:51 AM   #21
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Also I forgot to ask.

Will you be testing the limits of the Z4 in stock form?

Would be nice to know how the stock 35i components such as the intake and exhaust system differ from the 335i. There's a lot more room under the hood so I'm hoping the piping is less restrictive.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 01:23 PM   #22
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
You've finally joined the Z4 party!

We have the same colour combo. Titanium Silver looks great when it's clean.

I've just ordered the LCI side repeaters from BMW. I think the pre-LCI ones are a bit crap.

Why did you go for a manual? Didn't like the DCT in your 335is?
DCT will always be held preferences over MT any day. I needed manual for R&D. What is LCI side repeates, the side turning blinking lights ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
Also I forgot to ask.

Will you be testing the limits of the Z4 in stock form?

Would be nice to know how the stock 35i components such as the intake and exhaust system differ from the 335i. There's a lot more room under the hood so I'm hoping the piping is less restrictive.
Yes, thats is what I am working on currently before adding mods. I am testing complete stock car with just a K&N filter.

The intake snorkle on the Z435i(s) is wayyy better than on the 3 series. The air box has got to go though.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread