New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-13-2015, 09:27 AM   #67
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

I can sympathize with your anxiety. When shopping for my wife's Z4 six months ago, we considered a car in Chicago, which would have involved the same logistical/shipping issues. Fortunately, we found an alternative in Phoenix, which made it feasable to fly there, inspect the vehicle (and negotiate another $500 out of the cost because of a previously undisclosed cosmetic issue) and then drive it home. Good luck with your new toy!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 09:39 AM   #68
Dejablue
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 SDrive 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
I can sympathize with your anxiety. When shopping for my wife's Z4 six months ago, we considered a car in Chicago, which would have involved the same logistical/shipping issues. Fortunately, we found an alternative in Phoenix, which made it feasable to fly there, inspect the vehicle (and negotiate another $500 out of the cost because of a previously undisclosed cosmetic issue) and then drive it home. Good luck with your new toy!
Thank you.
I know that even if I did fly to California to view the car, I would not have been able to perform the sort of inspection that AVUS Autosport put the car through.

In the report, they stated that normally only 20% of inspections result in a recommendation that the customer purchase the car.
The manager told me that "We would buy that Z4!" which seemed like a pretty good recommendation.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 10:01 AM   #69
paris1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
Thank you.
I know that even if I did fly to California to view the car, I would not have been able to perform the sort of inspection that AVUS Autosport put the car through.

In the report, they stated that normally only 20% of inspections result in a recommendation that the customer purchase the car.
The manager told me that "We would buy that Z4!" which seemed like a pretty good recommendation.
Well that's reassuring!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 02:54 PM   #70
dim3314
Private
Rep
Drives: Looking to buy Z4 sDrive35IS

Quote:
Essentially, yes.

Additionally, I have a new friend in the business who, although i did not purchase a car from him, he provided me with more info about the car that is not normally available to a non dealer purchaser.
All the news was far beyond what I may have hoped to hear regarding it's prior owner, and all aspects of it's maintenance, including warranty & CPO info that the dealer knew nothing about.
Do you think you can hook a brother up with this friend and get some information for me???

I went to the BMW dealer in Long Beach 2 days ago to check out the Z4 that I posted two weeks back (see link)

http://www.longbeachbmw.com/certifie...f6e928f6a7.htm

They've been dropping the price every 2 weeks. Now I know why... the front nose bumper has been poorly touched up due to the scratches the prior owner has and the inside corner of the nose, the plastic definitely has had some bad curb rash. WHoever did the paint job just threw on a lot of Alpine white paint just to cover it up. The rear bumper has some deep scratches as well that's not touched up.

I want to see if your friend can find out information for me as well. THe carfax on it does not say much.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 03:04 PM   #71
dim3314
Private
Rep

Quote:
Essentially, yes.
I did however contract a local BMW only shop to perform a Pre-Purchase Inspection for me.
The shop, AVUS Autosport is well respected, and did an extensive inspection on all aspects of the car.

Not cheap…but peace of mind usually isn't cheap.
http://www.avusautosport.com/about-us

I just gave them a call, and they said about $189 for a piece of mind.... that's actually a really good deal!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 04:04 PM   #72
Dejablue
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dim3314 View Post
Do you think you can hook a brother up with this friend and get some information for me???

I went to the BMW dealer in Long Beach 2 days ago to check out the Z4 that I posted two weeks back (see link)

http://www.longbeachbmw.com/certifie...f6e928f6a7.htm

They've been dropping the price every 2 weeks. Now I know why... the front nose bumper has been poorly touched up due to the scratches the prior owner has and the inside corner of the nose, the plastic definitely has had some bad curb rash. WHoever did the paint job just threw on a lot of Alpine white paint just to cover it up. The rear bumper has some deep scratches as well that's not touched up.

I want to see if your friend can find out information for me as well. THe carfax on it does not say much.
The sort of info Ken would have is not comparable to a CarFax report.
This is a spreadsheet showing the former owner and his relationship with BMW.
His warranty, maintenance records, that sort of stuff.
If the car was in an accident and not reported by the repair shop, or fixed by the owner, there isn't a report you'll find for that situation.
You need an experienced eye to inspect it, and because it's a high end car with advanced systems, you want someone familiar with the brand who has the right technology to read fault codes from the OBC.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 04:07 PM   #73
Dejablue
Private
Rep

Quote:
I just gave them a call, and they said about $189 for a piece of mind.... that's actually a really good deal!
I recommend it.
Tell Amir that Frank from Boston sent you.
On another note...
Maybe you should check out my friend's inventory of Z4.

http://www.cotroneoautogroup.com/web.../All_vehicles/

www.cagtexas.com

Tell Ken I said, Hey.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 04:54 PM   #74
dim3314
Private
Rep

Quote:
I recommend it.
Tell Amir that Frank from Boston sent you.
On another note...
Maybe you should check out my friend's inventory of Z4.

http://www.cotroneoautogroup.com/web.../All_vehicles/

www.cagtexas.com

Tell Ken I said, Hey.
I spoke with Amir.

Your buddy doesn't have the IS
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 05:32 PM   #75
paris1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I went to the BMW dealer in Long Beach 2 days ago to check out the Z4 that I posted two weeks back

That doesn't say much for their CPO expertise. Have you asked them for a copy of the CPO checklist? That might be informative.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 05:36 PM   #76
dim3314
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris1
Quote:
I went to the BMW dealer in Long Beach 2 days ago to check out the Z4 that I posted two weeks back

That doesn't say much for their CPO expertise. Have you asked them for a copy of the CPO checklist? That might be informative.
Good point. I'm going to bring the BMW group dejablue recommended and ask the dealer for the CPO checklist so they can look at it also.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 07:46 AM   #77
Dejablue
Private
Rep

Quote:
I spoke with Amir.

Your buddy doesn't have the IS
Oh, I didn't know it was only the IS for you.
Probably not a bad idea, if the other car doesn't work out, to contact him anyway.
He travels to auctions constantly and might be able to find a car for you if he's aware of what you're seeking.
He was willing to do that for me, but I found mine on my own.

Here's a national BMW dealer search for 35is models:
http://cpo.bmwusa.com/used-inventory...howRadius=true

Last edited by Dejablue; 05-14-2015 at 07:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 12:46 PM   #78
dim3314
Private
Rep

That's actually not a bad idea for him to look for a car for me at auctions! That's pretty awesome, didn't know BMW posted all their CPOs on their site like that. Thanks Frank
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 07:10 PM   #79
Dejablue
Private
Rep

Quote:
That's pretty awesome, didn't know BMW posted all their CPOs on their site like that. Thanks Frank
What I do notice from the National BMW CPO listings is that for the model year of 2013, the price for the car you have in mind is in the lower of the range.
That might be why they are dragging their feet about dropping the price too quick.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 07:13 PM   #80
dim3314
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejablue
Quote:
That's pretty awesome, didn't know BMW posted all their CPOs on their site like that. Thanks Frank
What I do notice from the National BMW CPO listings is that for the model year of 2013, the price for the car you have in mind is in the lower of the range.
That might be why they are dragging their feet about dropping the price too quick.
They've dropped the car rather quickly in price. The last month has seen a 2k drop. Every week about $500 drop. I'm thinking there's something wrong here. But for sure the bumper damages are very noticeable
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 07:58 PM   #81
paris1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
They've dropped the car rather quickly in price. The last month has seen a 2k drop. Every week about $500 drop. I'm thinking there's something wrong here. But for sure the bumper damages are very noticeable
That's typical dealer practice. I notice the same thing when I was shopping for one. These cars have a very limited market and don't sell very quickly unless priced right.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 09:08 PM   #82
Dejablue
Private
Rep

Quote:
Have you made an offer for this car yet?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 09:31 PM   #83
dim3314
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejablue
Quote:
Have you made an offer for this car yet?
So I pointed out the imperfections of this car and how crappy the bumper touch up job was and how bad the curb rashes were, I told the sales manager: "I'd like to make you an offer(this was when the car was going for 44000)". He cuts me off and says "I will have to respectfully decline any offers. We are a corporation structure. If this car doesn't sell, corporate office will move this car to Beverly Hills BMW who is our sister dealer and it'll most likely sell there. But the price will reset at 47k and slowly work its way down if it doesn't sell."

In my mind, I just said I'll wait a few more weeks. Now the car has dropped an extra $500 so it's 43500 now. I was originally going to offer 45 OTD but he never gave me a chance to make the offer :
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 09:32 PM   #84
dim3314
Private
Rep

Inside the corner of the nose, has a really BAD curb rash but you can't see from the pictures.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 07:00 AM   #85
Dejablue
Private
Rep

Quote:
So I pointed out the imperfections of this car and how crappy the bumper touch up job was and how bad the curb rashes were, I told the sales manager: "I'd like to make you an offer(this was when the car was going for 44000)". He cuts me off and says "I will have to respectfully decline any offers. We are a corporation structure. If this car doesn't sell, corporate office will move this car to Beverly Hills BMW who is our sister dealer and it'll most likely sell there. But the price will reset at 47k and slowly work its way down if it doesn't sell."

In my mind, I just said I'll wait a few more weeks. Now the car has dropped an extra $500 so it's 43500 now. I was originally going to offer 45 OTD but he never gave me a chance to make the offer :
At some point it gets tiring shopping for the best deal for these cars.
The honest truth is, like mentioned earlier, this is a very specialized, impractical car and the dealer will never admit it.
I suppose that you think that because of the scrapes to the front and rear bumper that it may have been abused. But it's probably not necessarily true. My car (the one that I'm STILL awaiting it's arrival) had a couple of small imperfections on the lower front bumper as well, but not as obvious as these on the car you're showing us.
They offered to fix them without my even asking.
I will say again that the price of $43.5 is actually comparatively pretty low.
If the dealer is saying that he will transfer the car to another dealer, he is coming to the realization that it may not sell.
In my experience, the dealer NEVER really wants to bail.
Maybe you get a salesman to present your $45k OTD offer with a proper repairing of the paint, and let HIM try and get the manager to accept less.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 08:56 AM   #86
dim3314
Private
Rep

Quote:
In my experience, the dealer NEVER really wants to bail.
Maybe you get a salesman to present your $45k OTD offer with a proper repairing of the paint, and let HIM try and get the manager to accept less.
Never bail as in send it off to another dealer?

That would be a good idea to go through the middle man, but I've read a lot of articles and forums about people saying just go straight to the source, the manager. But you make a very good point. The only way for them to hear our my OTD offer is to hear it from the client advisor.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 09:13 AM   #87
Dejablue
Private
Rep

Quote:
Never bail as in send it off to another dealer?

That would be a good idea to go through the middle man, but I've read a lot of articles and forums about people saying just go straight to the source, the manager. But you make a very good point. The only way for them to hear our my OTD offer is to hear it from the client advisor.
Yeah, they would much rather add the unit to the month's sales. If they send it to auction, or another dealer, they lose that option.

I have stated before to get all the info from the salesperson, buy from the manager.
Essentially, you would still be doing that, but letting a salesperson present an offer for you could give yourself an insider advocate because he wants a commission, and may be able to sway his manager.

Frankly however, putting aside that it's a 2013 IS, and the price is not all that out of whack (barring anything about it's paint flaws) it seems weird that they wouldn't AT LEAST want to hear a serious offer for the car.

As I was negotiating for my IS, the General Sales manager came right out and told me that I was the only person that he considered seriously interested because all other offers were of the ridiculous low ball, no chance they'll sell it for that price, type.
If that car has been sitting as long as you say, they MUST be getting hammered by morons thinking they will give it away…that's why it seems weird that they wouldn't be able to identity you as a real buyer.
Very strange.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 09:29 AM   #88
dim3314
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, they would much rather add the unit to the month's sales. If they send it to auction, or another dealer, they lose that option.

I have stated before to get all the info from the salesperson, buy from the manager.
Essentially, you would still be doing that, but letting a salesperson present an offer for you could give yourself an insider advocate because he wants a commission, and may be able to sway his manager.

Frankly however, putting aside that it's a 2013 IS, and the price is not all that out of whack (barring anything about it's paint flaws) it seems weird that they wouldn't AT LEAST want to hear a serious offer for the car.

As I was negotiating for my IS, the General Sales manager came right out and told me that I was the only person that he considered seriously interested because all other offers were of the ridiculous low ball, no chance they'll sell it for that price, type.
If that car has been sitting as long as you say, they MUST be getting hammered by morons thinking they will give it away…that's why it seems weird that they wouldn't be able to identity you as a real buyer.
Very strange.
- Manager told me his dealership is constructed in a way where they aren't a typical "dealer" where they're worried if the car sits on the lot for a long time and they start losing money. He said they'll ship it to their other dealerships (Beverly Hills BMW) and he said for sure it'll sell there...

- After I get Avus Sport's pre-purchasing inspection, i'll see if its only just the flawed paint, or some other "surprise". I'm hoping its only the paint!

- Manager probably thinks i'm trying to low ball him with my "offer" or maybe he's trying to play me. Either way, i'm not done with this manager yet. He thinks he can just shut the negotiating door on my face, think again! I will get an even better deal, assuming the car is still there!
Appreciate 0