New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

01-13-2014, 08:21 PM   #1
BMW665
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 e89

Key FOB Top Down capability

I read a thread recently that said if you did not have the Comfort Option you could still put the top down with the key FOB if you had the newest firmware. Well when I had the 2011 3.5 in for maintenance I asked for the firmware to be updated. I received a call from the dealer to let me know this is not an option. I guess the only other solution is to go with a Smart Top
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 09:17 AM   #2
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

I am not sure on this one but I do know that others in some of the coding sites say it is possible and give the steps to perform the coding of it. I also know that my E85 had this option and I did not have the comfort access option.
      01-14-2014, 09:26 PM   #3
BMW665
Private
Rep

so is there anyone out there that has an E89 without comfort that can put their top down using the key fob? If so then its back to the dealer I go to push on getting this added/fixed
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 09:55 PM   #4
pete_z89
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 sdrive35i sound/sport/nav

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW665 View Post
so is there anyone out there that has an E89 without comfort that can put their top down using the key fob? If so then its back to the dealer I go to push on getting this added/fixed
I actually have this. Now, before I get asked a million questions, the answer is I don't know. Sorry if that sounds like an assanine thing to say, but I honestly don't know how to do it. I found some dude on Craigslist (I think) a few months back who said he could code BMW's. I asked him to code the top down and he was able to do it! Took him a few trials and about 30 mins but he got it!

I can roll the windows down, put the top down, and roll the windows up all with the Key FOB. I cannot put the top up. But that's not a feature I wanted.

Hope this helps. And good luck trying to convince your ignorant dealer that coding can be done to accomplish this...but it can!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 01:03 PM   #5
BMW665
Private
Rep

ok the pursuit is on. I know the smart top is a for sure solution but if the vehicle can be programmed to put the top down using the FOB then we need to find the answer. Any suggestions where to start (except to push on the dealer to step up) that would be a great help
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 02:27 PM   #6
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_z89 View Post
I actually have this. Now, before I get asked a million questions, the answer is I don't know. Sorry if that sounds like an assanine thing to say, but I honestly don't know how to do it. I found some dude on Craigslist (I think) a few months back who said he could code BMW's. I asked him to code the top down and he was able to do it! Took him a few trials and about 30 mins but he got it!

I can roll the windows down, put the top down, and roll the windows up all with the Key FOB. I cannot put the top up. But that's not a feature I wanted.

Hope this helps. And good luck trying to convince your ignorant dealer that coding can be done to accomplish this...but it can!
t should be press and hold unlock button to rol down and top down. and press and hold lock button to roll up.
      01-15-2014, 08:07 PM   #7
BMW665
Private
Rep

"should" be able to but that is not the case.

I found more info on this. Sounds like if you want add a feature not configured by the dealer then you have code it yourself or work with someone that can do this as a service

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=639948

also the following seems like a place that does it all the time
http://www.sf**************/bmw-coding-services
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 01:25 AM   #8
Rafale
Zed Quatre
France
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4 35is & '11 535xi GT

Garage List
Yup, coded mine myself...
      01-20-2014, 06:43 AM   #9
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

I have no idea why such a thing isn't standard. Its standard to have the top come down in Europe by holding the unlock button until the roof is fully retracted into the boot/trunk. Having said that, BMW in their wisdom don't allow you to put it back up by holding close unless you have comfort access!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 09:58 AM   #10
BMW665
Private
Rep

Any suggestions on how to code it yourself? looking down the features list, there are many that would be nice to have. Why would someone buy the Smart Top product when the feature can be unlocked to enable them.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 10:32 AM   #11
pete_z89
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 sdrive35i sound/sport/nav

Quote:
"should" be able to but that is not the case.

I found more info on this. Sounds like if you want add a feature not configured by the dealer then you have code it yourself or work with someone that can do this as a service
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafale View Post
Yup, coded mine myself...
Maybe this guy could help y'all at in figuring out what needs to be coded. I remember when the guy I contacted to do it was working on it, he tried multiple different coding lines, kind of fishing around for the solution. Not sure if that was the best way to go about it, but it sounded like it wasn't an easy task. Hopefully those that have succeeded can help the entire community out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
I have no idea why such a thing isn't standard. Its standard to have the top come down in Europe by holding the unlock button until the roof is fully retracted into the boot/trunk. Having said that, BMW in their wisdom don't allow you to put it back up by holding close unless you have comfort access!
Yeah, it's really weird.

Quote:
Why would someone buy the Smart Top product when the feature can be unlocked to enable them.
Exactly. I'm sure SmartTop is putting forth some effort so it's not widely known how to code it, or their entire market would dissipate.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 10:42 AM   #12
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Any suggestions on how to code it yourself? looking down the features list, there are many that would be nice to have. Why would someone buy the Smart Top product when the feature can be unlocked to enable them.
Because SmartTop does a lot more than just top up down from the fob. One touch up down from fob or car, up down while on the move, windows up down, mirrors in out etc etc
Appreciate 0