New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-15-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
ymdd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: not fast enough

nav screen wont close/open!!

is it easy to fix ? guys if someone know if there is an easy fix please help me
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 02:59 AM   #2
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Might want to not post the same thread 3 times.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 03:21 AM   #3
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

.. and provide more information?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 04:41 AM   #4
Merseysider
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive35i

The original poster needs to delete the old threads, but I quite literally have had the same issue arise on my car 30 minutes ago.

A couple of days ago I had the sat nav on startup open up approximately 75% of the way before stopping. When I shut the car down it retracted correctly. The nav then worked appropriately for a couple of days.

However today after the nav had opened correctly on startup it didnt close fully on shut down. I tried pressing the sat nav open close button option through iDrive but it wont move anymore.

I want to add that the screen and all the functions work perfectly fine, it just wont open or close automatically or open/close when I try to close it using my allocated button through iDrive.

Has anyone had this issue before? Any help would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 03:39 AM   #5
Merseysider
Registered
Australia
Rep

Just an update on this issue, so the problem rectified itself after a couple of days where the nav wouldnt open or close by itself but after a week of working it just stopped functioning again yesterday.

I seriously dont know what the problem with it is but on occasion when it is closing I can see the mechanism struggling a little bit like it is receiving a little bit of resistance whilst closing.

If anyone could help out with this that would be swell, taking it out to a shop/dealer right now really isnt a solution as with Christmas holidays theyre all mostly closed.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 02:58 PM   #6
silverstone_ttlz4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 Z4 35i

I've now had this issue happen to me. Regretting not researching extended warranty while I still could.

Never had an issue on my '09 until today. Screen was fine, parked for gas and screen shut as usual then when I turned the car back on it didn't open.

Hoping that it somehow resolves itself (I got a cruise control malfunction message the other day that seemed to have resolved itself so I have reason to be hopeful).

Otherwise not sure what to do because screen costs $2000 USD...which is nuts.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 07:11 AM   #7
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

This sounds very annoying and expensive indeed.

Just curious, did you get this problem after driving the car in heavy rain or after a doing a certain type of car wash or similar?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 06:13 AM   #8
Z4_Gaz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 3.0 sDrive

Be careful if you decide to try and fix yourself. My screen was noisy when closing so I took it out and disassembled on the assumption I could lubricate the gears. The Open/Close & On/Off functions are controlled by a single potentiometer that seems to be calibrated, it is not a standard stepper motor! It took me a while to realign the gears once reassembled. Also, it was the motor itself that was noisy so no easy way to resolve. :-(
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 03:29 AM   #9
Merseysider
Registered
Australia
Rep

Another update, the problem has resolved itself again and has been closing smoothly for a few weeks now. Point noted on disassembly cos that's what I was thinking of doing to re lubricate the gears.

Might try and blast some compressed air into the unit to possibly dislodge any debris which may have been causing the issue, but only if it freezes up again.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 02:09 PM   #10
rif75
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 LCI ZCP and BMW M5 f10

Hello Guys

Old post but having the same issue on the z4 I just bought. The opening is always working but not the closing. Sometime it takes some minutes to close after the switch off. Yesterday, after few hours, it was still open.

I tried with rheingold to do a calibration of the system but nothing changed...