New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

03-12-2017, 12:59 AM   #1
fifthdawn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Gap issues, does my body panel look off?

Hey guys,

I need an opinion. My car has no accidents that I am aware of, clean carfax and everything but my body panels just look very off to me.

I'm having problem uploading on to the forum directly, tells me something about security token problem.

View post on imgur.com

Can you guys look over it and tell me if it is normal? The gap just doesn't seem normal to me, especially the headlights.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 01:50 AM   #2
cruisingdownthestreet
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4

"Driver has a gap. I'm pretty sure this is just the hood not closing right. I slammed it harder one time and the gap was a lot smaller. I haven't opened the hood since but it seems it went back to that gap size again."

there's no reason to slam the hood, trunk or doors. ever.

you'll have to check the screws and fasteners. tomorrow is sunday.
      03-12-2017, 07:04 PM   #3
fifthdawn
Enlisted Member
Rep

I didn't meant slam always. I always let it drop from a feet or so.

I meant that it dropping it always had that gap so one time I added more force to the drop and it helped with the gap but it just came back in a week.

How about the headlights, does it look normal?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 08:27 AM   #4
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Yes the gap is abnormal. it could be the hood adjustment that needs to be tweaked. It could also mean that a fastener has loosened on the quarter panel on the drivers side of the vehicle. It is a simple fix that your dealer can sort out.
      03-13-2017, 05:11 PM   #5
dblaron30i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Sapphire black Z4 30i

To me it looks like the car went into a driveway and scratched causing the front to become miss-aligned. New cars these days are very prone to this. Especially a vehicle like ours with the low clearance. A body shop should be able to re-align for a couple hundred pretty easy. I have a similar issue. Just not as bad. Also do you have the M-suspension? Because going over speed bumps with it can cause this. I do believe with the M-suspension the car does sit a tad lower.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 09:32 PM   #6
fifthdawn
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks, just wanted to confirm its abnormal before I took it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblaron30i View Post
To me it looks like the car went into a driveway and scratched causing the front to become miss-aligned. New cars these days are very prone to this. Especially a vehicle like ours with the low clearance. A body shop should be able to re-align for a couple hundred pretty easy. I have a similar issue. Just not as bad. Also do you have the M-suspension? Because going over speed bumps with it can cause this. I do believe with the M-suspension the car does sit a tad lower.
Yeah M-suspensions. Plus Chicago pot holes. There is also a very large ramp by one of the parking structure that has a very steep angle. I hit the bottom about 2 times before I figured out how to get out of it without scraping. That musta done it.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 09:38 PM   #7
dblaron30i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Sapphire black Z4 30i

Yep. That's probably the issue. The price we pay for the Z4. It is a pretty simple fix though. I know someone who did it themselves and am thinking of doing it myself as well. Had to do it to my Porsche once. But the Z4 seems to come un-aligned much easier on the front. I know if you look at the mount by the wheel well you'll find the bracket to be plastic. You may be able to just align that and be ok. Pop the hood.

One other thing. Do you have issues with the self leveling headlights? If so your problem may be deeper. Looking at your pics though it looks like it's just the bracketin the wheel well.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 05:27 PM   #8
fifthdawn
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well I just dropped of my car at the dealers for a emissions recall and asked the body guy about it. He told me iy seems a little off but barely noticeable. Told me it's nothing to worry about and that taking it off to realign might do more harm.

I have a trusted independent shop , I'm about to get my oil change soon. I'll get a second opinion from them.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 04:52 PM   #9
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 2018 TTRS

FYI... Carfax and Autocheck are not always correct. I have come across many cars that have been painted or had body panels removed with a clean Carfax. You should always spend a lot of time going over a car that your are considering buying and if you don't know how, bring someone with you who does.
Appreciate 0