New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-22-2014, 02:17 PM   #1
mybank2828
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 z4 35i (Manual,M package)

Advice on Sport & Sport+ mode

I have a manual trans 35i. I notice when using the "Sport" vs "Comfort" mode, the foot pedal accelerates softer and faster when shifting from gear-to-gear which is nice

I have 3 questions below:

1) Is it OK & safe to always use the "Sport" mode on the city street and highway? Does it wear out the engine using "Sport" mode all the time?

2) When do you usually the "Sport+" mode?

3) I personally don't feel much different using the "Sport" & "Sport+" mode. Can anyone tell me the difference using the "Sport+" mode?

Thanks for the advices in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 03:04 PM   #2
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

sport+ is abbreviation for sport+dsc off (which confusingly uses the DTC traction control setting, and doesn't actually fully turn off the traction control)

use it all the time, no worries. It will allow a minimal amount of oversteer.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 03:11 PM   #3
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybank2828
I have a manual trans 35i. I notice when using the "Sport" vs "Comfort" mode, the foot pedal accelerates softer and faster when shifting from gear-to-gear which is nice

I have 3 questions below:

1) Is it OK & safe to always use the "Sport" mode on the city street and highway? Does it wear out the engine using "Sport" mode all the time?

2) When do you usually the "Sport+" mode?

3) I personally don't feel much different using the "Sport" & "Sport+" mode. Can anyone tell me the difference using the "Sport+" mode?

Thanks for the advices in advance!
Yep sport mode will use your engine within a year. One day you will come out and a Miata will be all that's left.

Seriously the only damage you can do to the car will be as a result of hitting a wall if you any drive well: otherwise enjoy every setting, oh and RTFM!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 04:12 PM   #4
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
One day you will come out and a Miata will be all that's left.
I know you were joking (and making a derogatory statement against Miatas), but I am actually thinking of getting a 07 Miata MS-R for track usage.... (i.e. I think it is a better track car than my Z435...)
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 04:25 PM   #5
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

I don't know if it's just in my head but Sport+ seems to hold the revs higher and makes the shifts more aggressive.

I thought it may also alter the suspension and steering but I haven't really used it enough to make a judgement.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 04:51 PM   #6
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
I don't know if it's just in my head but Sport+ seems to hold the revs higher and makes the shifts more aggressive.

I thought it may also alter the suspension and steering but I haven't really used it enough to make a judgement.
It does all those things. (you need to have the adjustable dampers option for that to be adjusted)
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 05:11 PM   #7
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
It does all those things. (you need to have the adjustable dampers option for that to be adjusted)
Good, thought I was just dreaming it up for a while.

I have adaptive dampers but think sport is harsh and sport+ overly so. I would honestly just leave them in comfort and have the heavy steering and more aggressive throttle mapping if it were possible.
I tend to just drive with the shifter in sport so I get faster shifts and more revs but without the harsh ride.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 06:48 AM   #8
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:

I have adaptive dampers but think sport is harsh and sport+ overly so. I would honestly just leave them in comfort and have the heavy steering and more aggressive throttle mapping if it were possible.
I tend to just drive with the shifter in sport so I get faster shifts and more revs but without the harsh ride.
DSC=off gives you "heavy" steering, similar to sport+, as well as normal everything else. I like this mode a lot. DTC (traction) gives you something similar to sport steering as well as normal everything else if I remember correctly. So you may like DTC if you like the steering in sport (I don't). And btw the ESS flash tune gives you a more sensitive throttle response without changing the mapping. So with a flash tune + DSC=off or DTC you may get what you looking for.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 10:09 AM   #9
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

sport and sport+ settings for suspension are the same. The dampers have 2 settings only (comfort and sport)

There is a technical doc floating around the forums that explains the settings in each "mode"
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 03:59 PM   #10
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn
Quote:

DSC=off gives you "heavy" steering, similar to sport+, as well as normal everything else. I like this mode a lot. DTC (traction) gives you something similar to sport steering as well as normal everything else if I remember correctly. So you may like DTC if you like the steering in sport (I don't). And btw the ESS flash tune gives you a more sensitive throttle response without changing the mapping. So with a flash tune + DSC=off or DTC you may get what you looking for.
So pressing the traction control button once gives heavy steering and holding it down for 5sec for DSC off gives really heavy steering?

Pretty cool. I like heavy steering but i also really like traction control! Especially in the wet
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 02:40 AM   #11
Mick70
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35i (before: 23i)

Here the different possible combinations of all switches and the impact on driving experience:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 02:41 AM   #12
Mick70
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35i (before: 23i)

Quote:
So pressing the traction control button once gives heavy steering and holding it down for 5sec for DSC off gives really heavy steering?
See above: No.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 05:36 AM   #13
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
sport and sport+ settings for suspension are the same. The dampers have 2 settings only (comfort and sport)

There is a technical doc floating around the forums that explains the settings in each "mode"
That's bizarre because I could swear mine firms up even more in sport + (suspension). Its like, bouncy, firm and rock hard. I'll have to check that again now...
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 08:00 AM   #14
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

I think the variance for the steering between sport and sport plus is mental. They are definitely quicker than comfort, but I feel like they also change weight with different speed. For me I've experienced both heavy and light weight the modes, depends on how you are driving.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 09:23 AM   #15
Gunzaro
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Speed Racer

Yes on my 35is I feel that Sport+ has a harsher ride. Ive tested the feel and bumps can be felt more. I've read that tech chart but I can't agree with it as I am feeling it different.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 09:42 AM   #16
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
That's bizarre because I could swear mine firms up even more in sport + (suspension). Its like, bouncy, firm and rock hard. I'll have to check that again now...
Quote:
Two characteristic curves are used, which in addition to a comfortable characteristic (normal) additionally enable another distinctly sports-orientated characteristic (sport)
Page 69 in that technical doc I referenced earlier

http://weblog.pac1.net/_Documents/14...escription.pdf

Mick70 posted the page 77, and that also says "vertical dynamics management" as having basic and sport settings

Maybe the sport and sport+ settings are different? I have seen a picture on these forums suggesting that, but I personally don't think there is a difference, and that doc suggests there is no difference
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 01:23 AM   #17
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick70 View Post
See above: No.
The chart contains several mistakes. It is very easy to test for yourself. Drive in slalom with constant speed while switching between modes. Notice how the steering feel changes. Try switching between dsc off and normal and tell me you do not notice a change of feel.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 01:35 AM   #18
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1981 View Post
I think the variance for the steering between sport and sport plus is mental. They are definitely quicker than comfort, but I feel like they also change weight with different speed. For me I've experienced both heavy and light weight the modes, depends on how you are driving.
I strongly disagree that it is just mental.

Steering in sport+ is much more communicative than in sport if you ask me. It is by far my favorite sporty mode, although I use dsc off instead of sport+ to access it. Sport is the worst mode as it is neither the most comfortable nor the most transparent. At least normal is comfortable.

This was especially noticeable when I was running toe out. Now, while running toe in, all modes are rather heavy and the difference is smaller. The fact that our cars are not adjusted the same in regards to camber and toe from factory may explain why we feel differently about the steering.

Last edited by Asbjorn; 10-25-2014 at 07:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 03:30 AM   #19
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunzaro View Post
Yes on my 35is I feel that Sport+ has a harsher ride. Ive tested the feel and bumps can be felt more. I've read that tech chart but I can't agree with it as I am feeling it different.
I'm with you ! My 35iS feel noticeably former in Sport+ compared to Sport.

I love Sport but Sport+ over speed humps and with rubbish UK roads is far too harsh !!

I see what the diagram says but on my 35iS I, too, can't agree with it for my model.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 11:41 AM   #20
ojo
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: 650i cupe

I thought if you had servotronic steering and adaptive M-chassis the ride and steering would adapt to driving style and condition. I feel it especially on the steering in sport, sometimes it has lots of assistance and other times not much at all.

Since people are experiencing that there car’s are acting different, maybe the chart that Mick posted can have been revised throughout the different sw-updates?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 04:26 AM   #21
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

After years of owning my 35is and switching from Sport to Sport+ I also feel Sport+ is firmer. I wasn't even expecting it to be and only thought it would affect throttle response and gear change but the most noticeable thing for me is the steering weight & suspension stiffness increase!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 09:23 PM   #22
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
I strongly disagree that it is just mental.

Steering in sport+ is much more communicative than in sport if you ask me. It is by far my favorite sporty mode, although I use dsc off instead of sport+ to access it. Sport is the worst mode as it is neither the most comfortable nor the most transparent. At least normal is comfortable.

This was especially noticeable when I was running toe out. Now, while running toe in, all modes are rather heavy and the difference is smaller. The fact that our cars are not adjusted the same in regards to camber and toe from factory may explain why we feel differently about the steering.
haha, yea there is definitely a difference between modes! I was saying more for me, that I think the weight changes while I drive. Its very small, but I do notice a bit of a change between parking, low, and high speed. Its very seamless.
GC LITES / BQ TUNE / MHD / FUEL IT BT ECA / WALBRO 525 LPFP / KW V3 / E9X M3 CONTROL ARMS / TURNER REAR CAMBER ARMS / RE BUSHINGS / H&R SWAYS / LUXON STRUTBAR / VRSF 7.5" FMIC / ER CP / TIAL BOV / VTT IN/OUTLETS / AFE PRO5R INTAKE / AR C.L. DP / BMS OCC / RB PVC / CF LIP + SIDE + SPOILER + DIFFUSER / IND REFLECTORS / BLK GRILLS / STUBBY / PB BBK / Forgestar F14 F: 19x9 et35 R: 19x10 et38/ Michelin PSS F: 245/35/19 R: 275/30/19
Appreciate 0