New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-02-2010, 11:03 PM   #23
maxzander
Private
Rep
Drives: z4 e89

i ditched mine after the 1st week when i got my z4...coz the ride is pretty stiff with RTF......
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 12:11 AM   #24
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drjoeb View Post
I'm intrigued with this post. Out of curiosity how many miles have you guys put on your RFT before ditching them. I've got less then 2k miles on mine. But if the difference is night and day then perhaps its worth ditching th RFT asap.
In addition to the ride quality issue, there's a suspicion the low profile RFT are contributing to wheel damage/cracks. Rolf-Dieter has a couple of threads on the issue.

Here's one and I think link another one on his sig.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...76#post5390176

"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 10-03-2010 at 12:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 01:00 AM   #25
KrisNL
Hero of the Day
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

I got the idea everyone with 19' RFT have or problems with cracked rims or other problems (vibrating mirrors...).
The 18' RFT seem fine to me. Probably anything over 18' is not made for RFT?
      10-03-2010, 01:03 AM   #26
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Haven't heard of any 18" wheel crack complaints.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 01:10 AM   #27
KrisNL
Hero of the Day
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
I chose 18's because I already expected problems with 19 RFT. A lot of other sportscars with 19 RFT have similar problems. And I prefer RFT because I hate flat tires. Every single car I had surprised me with a flat one.

Could be all the junk on the dutch highways, ZOAB asphalt sucks. (especially after winter)
      10-03-2010, 01:43 AM   #28
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

How's the ride quality and handling?

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 08:57 AM   #29
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Quote:
I'm intrigued with this post. Out of curiosity how many miles have you guys put on your RFT before ditching them. I've got less then 2k miles on mine. But if the difference is night and day then perhaps its worth ditching th RFT asap.
1067 miles on our RFT's before pulling them. Would have done it sooner had the tires been available.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 11:19 AM   #30
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
I agree, have not seen any myself. All the cracks in England as far as I know from reading on the UK Watchdog site was always on the 19"

as documented here on a TV show, quite interesting

and here a follow up

I further believe that due to the low and so stiff profile of the RFT the inside outer rim is exposed to undue or shall I say additional stress, thus the weaker inside edge of the wheel seams to be susceptible to cracking. I truly
believe BMW knows all about this they just don't want to admit to it.

Funny that if you try to purchase a new Z4 today the 19" wheel option is not part of the option list anymore ... Hmmmm I wonder why.

My RFT will be history in the spring, soon I will mount my winter wheel/tire package and very closely examine my new rear wheels, one having seen around 4,000 KM and the other around 1,000 KM.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 11:26 AM   #31
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
yesterday I came across some posts in another forum regarding RFT ... quite interesting

Here are the posts on it, I normally don't refer to other sites however, this happens to be very much on topic and some of the information is good to know

Last week I went into a Mercedes showroom and was told we do not sell Run-Flat-Tires not now nor will we in the future.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 11:37 AM   #32
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisNL View Post
I chose 18's because I already expected problems with 19 RFT. A lot of other sportscars with 19 RFT have similar problems. And I prefer RFT because I hate flat tires. Every single car I had surprised me with a flat one.

Could be all the junk on the dutch highways, ZOAB asphalt sucks. (especially after winter)
You were thinking ahead. You have to know your environment. There may be a place that has very nice roads, and putting aside handling and ride quality, the low profile tire may not be an issue in those environments. However, with governments being strapped for cash, road repair is not a top priority. I believe in many places that road quality will continue to decline over time.

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #33
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
yesterday I came across some posts in another forum regarding RFT ... quite interesting

Here are the posts on it, I normally don't refer to other sites however, this happens to be very much on topic and some of the information is good to know

Last week I went into a Mercedes showroom and was told we do not sell Run-Flat-Tires not now nor will we in the future.
Interesting thread.

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 11:56 AM   #34
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You were thinking ahead. You have to know your environment. There may be a place that has very nice roads, and putting aside handling and ride quality, the low profile tire may not be an issue in those environments. However, with governments being strapped for cash, road repair is not a top priority. I believe in many places that road quality will continue to decline over time.
I so agree with you on the road issue. On my way back east from Idaho in August I came across miles and miles of road work one of the stretches must have been over 10 miles long driving on preliminary road surfaces (stripped) some even gravel. You can imagine how worried I was that my TPMS light would come on and I be stuck near a farmers field knowing I am driving with one wheel having 2 hairline cracks ... going over countless little bumps. Your post in mind where you explained .... 100 plus little bumps building up stresses then the 101 bump may cause the crack.

Well I already knew I had the 2 hairline cracks and driving along them roads under construction was like nothing I can describe in words. My thoughts at the time were .... This is no JOY at all. I was talking to myself at the time why ever did I sell my reliable M3 that had 19 inch wheels and normal Michelin tires gave me good service of over 50,000 miles ... anyway that went thru my mind at the time. Thank god I made it home alright.

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 12:31 PM   #35
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive30i

Quote:
Funny that if you try to purchase a new Z4 today the 19" wheel option is not part of the option list anymore ... Hmmmm I wonder why.
Interesting, this sounds like BMW has also found a reliability issue.

My 19" wheels are still ok. Even with the weekly torture of 40Km Belgium road's that you can put in the category pre world war II.

If my wheels survive the next 6 months, the RFT are also history. The Continatal contact sport or the Michelin Pilot sport will be the candidates to replace the RFT's.

Last edited by zEdP; 10-03-2010 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #36
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I so agree with you on the road issue. On my way back east from Idaho in August I came across miles and miles of road work one of the stretches must have been over 10 miles long driving on preliminary road surfaces (stripped) some even gravel. You can imagine how worried I was that my TPMS light would come on and I be stuck near a farmers field knowing I am driving with one wheel having 2 hairline cracks ... going over countless little bumps. Your post in mind where you explained .... 100 plus little bumps building up stresses then the 101 bump may cause the crack.

Well I already knew I had the 2 hairline cracks and driving along them roads under construction was like nothing I can describe in words. My thoughts at the time were .... This is no JOY at all. I was talking to myself at the time why ever did I sell my reliable M3 that had 19 inch wheels and normal Michelin tires gave me good service of over 50,000 miles ... anyway that went thru my mind at the time. Thank god I made it home alright.
I apologize that my analysis contributed to your anxiety during that troublesome stretch of road. That certainly wasn't my intent. We're very glad that you made it back OK, Rolf-Dieter.

And, I believe there's something to be said for the normal tire and forged wheel combo. Of course the Michelin's are superior tires - they've improved every car I fitted them to. Although, forged wheels are very lightweight and have a very thin rim cross section, by the nature of forging (forming metal under extreme pressure and heat) a wheel with far more elasticity and durability is created than from the casting process.

Wiki - Forging:
Quote:
Forging can produce a piece that is stronger than an equivalent cast or machined part. As the metal is shaped during the forging process, its internal grain deforms to follow the general shape of the part. As a result, the grain is continuous throughout the part, giving rise to a piece with improved strength characteristics
Wiki - Heat Treatment

Last edited by teagueAMX; 10-03-2010 at 06:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 01:08 PM   #37
brisk3
Private
Rep
Drives: 435xi

so if i were to get the non RFT's the only way for me to put in the correct PSI is by doing the chalk test?

also what about the TPMS? isn't that defaulted to the OEM psi? at i believe 42?

thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #38
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I apologize that my analysis contributed to your anxiety during that troublesome stretch of road. That certainly wasn't my intent. We're very glad that you made it back OK, Rolf-Dieter.
No worries, and certainly no apologies are necessary to be sure, you did not contribute to my anxiety during my drive home ... it was a natural phenomenon caused by the facts at hand.

If anything, you and others have been quite supportive during my ordeal. And I am thankful for that support.

Cheers,

Rolf-Dieter

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 04:06 PM   #39
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

just over 8,000 miles and should have ditched hem at 0 miles - what a waste
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 04:30 PM   #40
marcw
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Garage List
What are you talking about? The Style 296 19" wheels can still be had today as per bmwusa.com.
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 06:18 PM   #41
rmorin49
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 335d/10 Z4 s30i

Quote:
Mine came off at delivery, about 1.7 miles on the clock. Sold them to a guy with an E92. He got a great buy and I got enough to buy a set of real tires.
2011 335d BS/Oyster/PP/CWP/NAV/ipod/USB(Daily Driver) 30+ mpg(retired)
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 06:23 PM   #42
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcw View Post
What are you talking about? The Style 296 19" wheels can still be had today as per bmwusa.com.
What I meant is, if you go to one of our BMW sites and build a Z4 (any of the models) then you no longer have the option to have the 19 inch wheels.

I suppose you do if you are at the dealer?

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 07:16 PM   #43
marcw
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Garage List
Well maybe the Canadian version doesn't let you do that any more, but www.bmwusa.com let's you option the Style 296 wheels just fine.
Quote:
What I meant is, if you go to one of our BMW sites and build a Z4 (any of the models) then you no longer have the option to have the 19 inch wheels.

I suppose you do if you are at the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 01:29 AM   #44
Horsedoc67
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 35i Z4 2011 X3 35i

I am probably in the minority relative to this tire discussion, but I am very happy with the RFT's.(19") I drive on the lousy roads here in SoCal(101, PCH etc) and have hit potholes that made me cringe. I have 4500 mi on the car and at 4000 I had the oil changed and all the wheels inspected for cracks by BMW and none were found. I drive hard in the twistys and fast on the open road and I find the tires perform as well as any conventional tire. I have been driving high performance cars for over 50 yrs although this is my first experience with RFT. I had a conversation with two very bright BMW Service advisors that believe that the stiffer sidewalls of the RFT offers more protection for the wheels than conventional tires.
I have more concern about the HPFP problem as I am planning a 4000 mi road trip later this month with the route being sparsely populated by BMW dealers. It seems a shame not being comfortable taking a high dollar car like this out on the road without the fear of mechanical failure.
Appreciate 0