New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-25-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
alabanga
Rep
Drives: z4

Screen for my new z4

Im planning to buy 35is but they just one left in our dealer here. And it hasnt got a screen on it. No nav screen. What screens can be added later? Any links, ideas?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 06:50 AM   #2
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

BMW iDrive Screens cannot be added later without huge expenditure. You may be able to retrofit the portable nav or a third party custom device but again, that could be a lot of work and a lot of money.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Try a different dealer?

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
Torn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 GTR

Keep searching for your IDEAL car. Don't settle and regret it later on. Adding the nav will be such a hassle
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #5
rfx45
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89

Garage List
2012 BMW Z4  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn View Post
Keep searching for your IDEAL car. Don't settle and regret it later on. Adding the nav will be such a hassle
+1!

You'll definitely regret that later if you settle for less than what you want.
      07-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #6
Torn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 GTR

I just noticed he is from Turkey, which might make that a bit harder! Idk how the z4's fare over there in terms of sales and how dealerships stock them.

Whereas in the U.S we can shop all the dealers in the nation and choose the one we want.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #7
///MIKE
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E89 35iS

I'm looking for this as well and I'm speaking with the guys at bimmertech at the moment to see if they can offer a solution, maybe you can give those guys a shot as well
      07-29-2012, 05:49 AM   #8
alabanga
Rep
Drives: z4

we have got %130 special vehicle tax for that z4, normally its %80 but its that high for z4 cuz of its bigger engine.

Car price 44000 eur
with svt its closely 100000 eur here plus vat its like 120000 eur.

amazingly expensive here.

we have got 2 official dealers here and using same stock. one of them using the stock of bigger dealer which named borusan.

They just left 1 35is and i think they cant sell because of screen and interrior colour (which is brown 'ok for me' but black will be better) they made big discount for that car. That means that i dont have a choice and I'm not going to pay 120000 eur for z4. discounted price is ok for me but cannot decided about screen.

Thanks for reply's. Thats awesome forum
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 08:07 AM   #9
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

no screen is no big deal it just means NO iDrive, which is nice for your phone interface and stereo but I owned many BMWs without iDrive and loved them all. look at it this way, you are buying more of a "driver's" car than those of us here that have the iDrive. you will love it
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #10
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Sad to see your government making all the money on the car!

Over here the government makes a motza (lot) on taxes and luxury car tax, but BMW AUstralia still gouges us something chronic.

Out of the $130K driveaway price for a standard 35is, there is abour $13K in GST and another $15K in luxury car tax.
Add about $3K in on road tax and stamp duties, about $4k in dealer delivery fees, about $8k in dealer profit margin, you see BMW australia making about $87K for the car. which is about 75K Euros.

Compare that to your 44K Euro sounds like gouging, but at least we get most of the big options included. (Leather, iDrive, Adaptive Suspension, 18" wheels).
If I take off the options at list price, I still estimate that BMW are charging about 20K Euro more for the same car in Australia, but at least our tax system is not as extreme as yours in Turkey (or that in Singapore).

There was a special journalistic investigation of IKEA here recently, that showed that IKEA australia was charging up to 5 times more for exactly the same goods in Australia than they were in the UK or in the US.
Amazing given many of the goods are made in Thailand, Indonesia and China, which is closer to AUstralia than it is to the UK or US.
Another classic example of price gouging.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #11
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

price gouging yes, but also extreme government taxation - amazing
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #12
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabanga View Post
we have got %130 special vehicle tax for that z4, normally its %80 but its that high for z4 cuz of its bigger engine.

Car price 44000 eur
with svt its closely 100000 eur here plus vat its like 120000 eur.

amazingly expensive here.

we have got 2 official dealers here and using same stock. one of them using the stock of bigger dealer which named borusan.

They just left 1 35is and i think they cant sell because of screen and interrior colour (which is brown 'ok for me' but black will be better) they made big discount for that car. That means that i dont have a choice and I'm not going to pay 120000 eur for z4. discounted price is ok for me but cannot decided about screen.

Thanks for reply's. Thats awesome forum
Considering the high price once tax is added in your country you should get the car. Sounds like they are giving you a fair discount. You can always add a portable navigation system. Or a high end TomTom if you really need the navigation. Here is a good reference link ===> CLICK HERE TO OPEN THE LINK

The car has a onboard computer to set everything besides most of the time you will drive the car

Good Luck

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 08:29 PM   #13
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stig 2 View Post
Sad to see your government making all the money on the car!

Over here the government makes a motza (lot) on taxes and luxury car tax, but BMW AUstralia still gouges us something chronic.

Out of the $130K driveaway price for a standard 35is, there is abour $13K in GST and another $15K in luxury car tax.
Add about $3K in on road tax and stamp duties, about $4k in dealer delivery fees, about $8k in dealer profit margin, you see BMW australia making about $87K for the car. which is about 75K Euros.

Compare that to your 44K Euro sounds like gouging, but at least we get most of the big options included. (Leather, iDrive, Adaptive Suspension, 18" wheels).
If I take off the options at list price, I still estimate that BMW are charging about 20K Euro more for the same car in Australia, but at least our tax system is not as extreme as yours in Turkey (or that in Singapore).

There was a special journalistic investigation of IKEA here recently, that showed that IKEA australia was charging up to 5 times more for exactly the same goods in Australia than they were in the UK or in the US.
Amazing given many of the goods are made in Thailand, Indonesia and China, which is closer to AUstralia than it is to the UK or US.
Another classic example of price gouging.
Very sad situation for the fine people down under. Have you ever considered purchasing a car in Germany then using it on one of your extended holidays for a few years (leaving it in Germany) then importing it later to Australia is there a bennefit / saving in doing that? Or will you still be exposed to the high taxation once you are importing the car?

Here in Canada BMW does not allow US dealerships to sell new BMW's to Canadians ... US prices for BMW's are in avearge $15K to $20K lower then here in Canada ... shame on BMW. Even when our dollar is even with the US dollar is the price differnce still the same at most dealers. Some dealers make adjustments not all.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #14
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3RD View Post
Very sad situation for the fine people down under. Have you ever considered purchasing a car in Germany then using it on one of your extended holidays for a few years (leaving it in Germany) then importing it later to Australia is there a bennefit / saving in doing that? Or will you still be exposed to the high taxation once you are importing the car?

Here in Canada BMW does not allow US dealerships to sell new BMW's to Canadians ... US prices for BMW's are in avearge $15K to $20K lower then here in Canada ... shame on BMW. Even when our dollar is even with the US dollar is the price differnce still the same at most dealers. Some dealers make adjustments not all.
Taking Euro delivery doesn't help because you still have to purchase the car through your local dealer and pay whatever sticker price and taxes they apply.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 09:32 PM   #15
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3RD View Post

note we drive on the other side of the road...

The steering wheel is in the wrong spot.

We could buy one in the UK or Saudi Arabia, but...

1. We still get hit by the ADR or Australian Design Rules, which require any imported car to have an ADR compliance plate fitted, which can cost big bucks for an imported car.

2. Add to that a relatively smart Tax Office, who will retrospectively charge you import duties and full sales taxes on any car you import that is less than a year old or still "in their opnion" a being imported to avoid sales taxes.

We can only import in a new object that is less than $1000 in value before we have to pay full tax, and with cars, we have to prove we have owned and used the car for at least a year in the overseas market before we can import it in as our own property without tax penalty, and even then we still have to go through the trouble and cost of getting an ADR compliance plate on it to get it registered.

All in, we would be a lot smarter to buy a cheap car now, save our money, and move to the US to retire so we can get somethign nice when we have more time to enjoy it.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 09:34 AM   #16
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Taking Euro delivery doesn't help because you still have to purchase the car through your local dealer and pay whatever sticker price and taxes they apply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stig 2 View Post
note we drive on the other side of the road...

The steering wheel is in the wrong spot.

We could buy one in the UK or Saudi Arabia, but...

1. We still get hit by the ADR or Australian Design Rules, which require any imported car to have an ADR compliance plate fitted, which can cost big bucks for an imported car.

2. Add to that a relatively smart Tax Office, who will retrospectively charge you import duties and full sales taxes on any car you import that is less than a year old or still "in their opnion" a being imported to avoid sales taxes.

We can only import in a new object that is less than $1000 in value before we have to pay full tax, and with cars, we have to prove we have owned and used the car for at least a year in the overseas market before we can import it in as our own property without tax penalty, and even then we still have to go through the trouble and cost of getting an ADR compliance plate on it to get it registered.

All in, we would be a lot smarter to buy a cheap car now, save our money, and move to the US to retire so we can get somethign nice when we have more time to enjoy it.
Thanks for the feedback Fellows ... I was just thinking how to circumvent this high tax bracket ... Then I know in the end they always get there money.

Dr Stig 2 .... I know all about driving on the left or as you fellows call it the right side of the road I spend 3 months in Australia in 1984 (on business at BHP up in Whyalla SA, Australia). I recall getting into the car on the wrong side after dinner people looking at me like "what's he doing" I quickley pretended I was getting something out of the glove box

On another ocasion after getting petrol I entered the street the wrong way (making a right turn against traffic instead of a left turn) Other drivers quickly forgave me properly mumbling "ah another visitor, let's go easy on him"

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 07:30 AM   #17
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
We don't always go easy on other drivers. Did you ever watch any of the Mad Max films? (the first two anyway)

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #18
raven333
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Sapphire Black 3.0siM sport

Hi! Outside of national taxes which there is very little you can do about!!
But here in the UK (outside of taxes) we paid the highest prices for our cars out all of the major economies. This went on for years!!! (30%-50%)
The UK was called the "Golden Isle" by all of the major manufactures across all industries not just car manufacturers.
Interestingly because the US is considered the most important car market of all countries - they benefit from all the high prices every other country has to pay for its vehicles, yes we are all subsidizing the Americans (PS this is not a rant at our American friends).
I used to think that we in the UK were the most stupid nation in the world for paying the prices we did and even though it has come down , we still do!!!
Appreciate 0