New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z435is

E89 IS - Ordered

After much soul searching (and many discussions, and 1 M School, and a bunch of test drives) I've decided to trade up to an E89 IS. Placed the order today, now I get to wait 8 weeks. First time in my life I'm ordering a car to my exact specs, pretty stoked about that.

I'll miss my E85, but we never really 'own' these things, just take care of them as best we can for the next person. This will be my third Z4, two E85s and now an E89 - going on 8 years with these cars! I must like them or something .

CAN'T FRIGGIN WAIT.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

Congrats on the new IS? Great Z.
2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
Rafale
Zed Quatre
France
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4 35is & '11 535xi GT

Garage List
I think you will love it. Congrats!
      04-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Congrats, esp since you're an E85 owner. Would like to hear some honest views on the E89 if you don't mind and what made you switch (because other E85 owners usually just come in here to bash and do the whole 'sour grapes/sweet lemon' thing lol).
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Congrats, esp since you're an E85 owner. Would like to hear some honest views on the E89 if you don't mind and what made you switch (because other E85 owners usually just come in here to bash and do the whole 'sour grapes/sweet lemon' thing lol).
Don't mind at all, though this might be a little more than you bargained for .

This started about a year ago, at M School in Spartanburg. I drove the M3 with a DCT and was enthralled with the transmission. Absolutely addictive. I'd never driven anything like it before. For years, I've been a staunch clutch pedal enthusiast. That DCT finally made me understand why F1, ALMS, Ferrari, McLaren, Porsche and others use this technology. It was like my eyes had been opened for the first time, ha. If losing a clutch pedal means this much fun, then so be it.

Due to my previous experience owning both pre and post LCI model E85 Z4s, I wanted to wait for the LCI to see how the DCT in the Z4 IS compared to the M3s. When I finally drove it, I was very impressed. It's not as customizable as the M3, but it's fun and addictive enough for me. I can listen to those throttle blips while downshifting All. Day. Long.

In December, my wife purchased a 128i with the Technology & Cold Weather packages, and there are things about both I've been a little jealous of. I really like how the iPhone connection is seamless into the Nav via USB (vs. my SpecDock, which now no longer works as well w/ the iPhone 5's lighting connector) and the heated steering wheel. Man, as stupid as it sounds, the idea of a heated steering wheel is a godsend. With the top down on a crisp night, between the seat heater and the heat itself, everything can stay warm EXCEPT your darn hands.

There are things I'll need to get used to in the E89, like more creative packing (you'd be shocked how much you can fit in the E85's trunk) and the star trek cup holder (I do wish they'd kept the E85's cup holders, mine never broke and always worked great, and disappeared when you weren't using them) and the disappearance of that awesome cubby hole between the seats. I'll admit when it was released I was cool on the idea of a turbo, and the addition of a hard top wasn't what I'd hoped for. However, with the creation of the IS, it really does seem like they've built one of the best BMW convertibles ever.

If I had to boil it down to one deciding factor, it would definitely be the DCT. Exhaust note would be second, followed by the more up-to-date technology/look/options of a new car. For me personally, I also had enough equity in my current Z4 to make purchasing a new one very attractive financially, in a nutshell: pay about the same thing and get a brand new car (and one built to my exact desires to boot).

As you can see, this has been building over time. The idea has kinda slowly chipped away at my love for the E85 (specifically, my car, not necessarily the model in general), and last weekend was the kicker. My buddy, who currently owns an E46 M3, was in from San Diego, and we test drove a previously owned low miles 08 M Roadster because he was thinking of buying one. Right after, we then went and drove the IS (I'd driven it before, he hadn't). After seeing his reaction coming out of the car, after JUST having driven an M Roadster, that sealed the deal. Yes, I talked to him today, yes, he's a little jealous, and yes, I wouldn't be surprised if he ordered one as well. This is also after he drove a new Z428i in San Diego and HATED it. The IS is a different animal altogether from the rest of the line, having driven both at speed and through the corners, the IS has a LOT in common with the mighty M3.

So that's about it. Sorry for the ramble, if you have any other questions, just let me know.

Last edited by mbetoni; 04-13-2013 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
(because other E85 owners usually just come in here to bash and do the whole 'sour grapes/sweet lemon' thing lol).
Oh, and one more thing: don't pay too much mind to the bashing from the rest of the E85 crowd. As an early E85 owner and one of only two Z4s in my local CCA Z Chapter, guess who bashes me? That's right - the Z3 guys. I'm like the red headed stepchild at those gatherings. Can't wait to show up this summer with an E89, I'll never hear the end of it, ha.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #7
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbetoni View Post
Don't mind at all, though this might be a little more than you bargained for .

This started about a year ago, at M School in Spartanburg. I drove the M3 with a DCT and was enthralled with the transmission. Absolutely addictive. I'd never driven anything like it before. For years, I've been a staunch clutch pedal enthusiast. That DCT finally made me understand why F1, ALMS, Ferrari, McLaren, Porsche and others use this technology. It was like my eyes had been opened for the first time, ha. If losing a clutch pedal means this much fun, then so be it.

Due to my previous experience owning both pre and post LCI model E85 Z4s, I wanted to wait for the LCI to see how the DCT in the Z4 IS compared to the M3s. When I finally drove it, I was very impressed. It's not as customizable as the M3, but it's fun and addictive enough for me. I can listen to those throttle blips while downshifting All. Day. Long.

In December, my wife purchased a 128i with the Technology & Cold Weather packages, and there are things about both I've been a little jealous of. I really like how the iPhone connection is seamless into the Nav via USB (vs. my SpecDock, which now no longer works as well w/ the iPhone 5's lighting connector) and the heated steering wheel. Man, as stupid as it sounds, the idea of a heated steering wheel is a godsend. With the top down on a crisp night, between the seat heater and the heat itself, everything can stay warm EXCEPT your darn hands.

There are things I'll need to get used to in the E89, like more creative packing (you'd be shocked how much you can fit in the E85's trunk) and the star trek cup holder (I do wish they'd kept the E85's cup holders, mine never broke and always worked great, and disappeared when you weren't using them) and the disappearance of that awesome cubby hole between the seats. I'll admit when it was released I was cool on the idea of a turbo, and the addition of a hard top wasn't what I'd hoped for. However, with the creation of the IS, it really does seem like they've built one of the best BMW convertibles ever.

If I had to boil it down to one deciding factor, it would definitely be the DCT. Exhaust note would be second, followed by the more up-to-date technology/look/options of a new car. For me personally, I also had enough equity in my current Z4 to make purchasing a new one very attractive financially, in a nutshell: pay about the same thing and get a brand new car (and one built to my exact desires to boot).

As you can see, this has been building over time. The idea has kinda slowly chipped away at my love for the E85 (specifically, my car, not necessarily the model in general), and last weekend was the kicker. My buddy, who currently owns an E46 M3, was in from San Diego, and we test drove a previously owned low miles 08 M Roadster because he was thinking of buying one. Right after, we then went and drove the IS (I'd driven it before, he hadn't). After seeing his reaction coming out of the car, after JUST having driven an M Roadster, that sealed the deal. Yes, I talked to him today, yes, he's a little jealous, and yes, I wouldn't be surprised if he ordered one as well. This is also after he drove a new Z428i in San Diego and HATED it. The IS is a different animal altogether from the rest of the line, having driven both at speed and through the corners, the IS has a LOT in common with the mighty M3.

So that's about it. Sorry for the ramble, if you have any other questions, just let me know.
Thx for the write-up. I love reading stuff like that. Enjoy your new, upcoming E89!

Quote:
Oh, and one more thing: don't pay too much mind to the bashing from the rest of the E85 crowd. As an early E85 owner and one of only two Z4s in my local CCA Z Chapter, guess who bashes me? That's right - the Z3 guys. I'm like the red headed stepchild at those gatherings. Can't wait to show up this summer with an E89, I'll never hear the end of it, ha.
I wonder who dissed the Z3, Miata owners? LOL.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 11:01 PM   #8
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I wonder who dissed the Z3, Miata owners? LOL.
DUDE. Considering how much the Z3 guys HATE the Miata, wouldn't surprise me! For whatever reason the Z3 crowd (at least here) is big into autocrossing, they routinely get spanked by Miatas. Funny to hear them talk about it...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

congrats - we have a similar story: 2000 M Coupe, 2003 Z4 3.0i, and now a 2010 Z4 35i
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #10
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep

Heard from my dealer today, they are working on getting me an allocation. As soon as I have a production #/VIN I'll let everyone know.

I'll also keep this thread updated throughout the process for those interested.

Thanks for all the congrats
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #11
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

congrats and welcome
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #12
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Daddy-bought" 2010 Z4

Congratulations! Don't forget pictures and first day impression!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #13
SgtGigglebox
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Atacama 35is

In case you haven't seen it, here's the blog post that I used when stalking mine: http://www.bmwblog.com/2009/07/14/ho...d-to-delivery/.

The part I found most useful was this:

Tracking the car status via phone, BMW North America:
(This information can, as well, be more than 48 hours behind the actual status)
• Call: (1-800) 831-1117
• Say “Vehicle Production Status” when prompted… or at any time after the recording starts
• then,you will be asked for your production number, or last seven digits of your vin number…
• then say – the last seven digits of your VIN. In my case: E06XXXX, (Read as, for example: E, Zero,6,ex,ex,ex,ex.)
Carefully annunciate the Es, Ts and Bs – the system is voice recognition based, and sometimes gets confused with Es
and Ts and Bs.
• then say “yes” when the voice reads it back – if correct… if not correct say “no,” and repeat… (you can get it wrong 3 times,
and then the system kicks you to a live human, if you’re calling during business hours… if not, BMW will give you their
operating hours for the office. Hang up, and try again if they’re closed.)
• then say “partial VIN number,” if not a production number… when asked…
• then, the system will give you the status of you vehicle production within the last 24 hours.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #14
shashi27
Private
Rep
Drives: 11 Z4 35is

You will love it. Most important thing is to dump the run flats right away. Transforms the car. ESS tune turns it into a beast if you are interested.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 10:30 AM   #15
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi27 View Post
You will love it. Most important thing is to dump the run flats right away. Transforms the car. ESS tune turns it into a beast if you are interested.
Thanks. I read about the ESS tune, I think in the beginning I'll learn the car as it is, and then see how I feel about it.

Regarding run flats, I'll need to see how the car feels with the wheels (and accompanying tires) I got. This is actually one of the reasons I wanted to wait for the LCI.

On my pre-LCI E85, after I went through the run flats I replaced them with a nice set of non-RFT Pirellis, which as we know, transformed the car. However, in my post-LCI E85, same size wheels/tires, car felt better than my previous one right off the bat WITH RFTs (bought both cars new, just FYI). Without making a hullabaloo about it, BMW def changed the suspension settings to accommodate the run flats better after the LCI. I ended up leaving them on my car for 5 years.

When my E89 comes, I'll see what the setup feels like and go from there .

FWIW, I also have an E85 buddy who was in what would have been a VERY bad incident (18 wheeler drifted into him on a highway on-ramp), in his case, the run-flats ended up playing a crucial part in minimizing the resulting danger.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #16
SgtGigglebox
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Atacama 35is

Quote:
Thanks. I read about the ESS tune, I think in the beginning I'll learn the car as it is, and then see how I feel about it.

Regarding run flats, I'll need to see how the car feels with the wheels (and accompanying tires) I got. This is actually one of the reasons I wanted to wait for the LCI.

On my pre-LCI E85, after I went through the run flats I replaced them with a nice set of non-RFT Pirellis, which as we know, transformed the car. However, in my post-LCI E85, same size wheels/tires, car felt better than my previous one right off the bat WITH RFTs (bought both cars new, just FYI). Without making a hullabaloo about it, BMW def changed the suspension settings to accommodate the run flats better after the LCI. I ended up leaving them on my car for 5 years.

When my E89 comes, I'll see what the setup feels like and go from there .

FWIW, I also have an E85 buddy who was in what would have been a VERY bad incident (18 wheeler drifted into him on a highway on-ramp), in his case, the run-flats ended up playing a crucial part in minimizing the resulting danger.
In both of my previous E85's, I did the same thing (switched out for the Pirellis) rather quickly. However, after 4-5 months in the new is, I still haven't felt the need to get rid of the rft's. You're on to something about the suspension. I'll probably still switch them out, but I want to get an autocross or 2 on them before I do it.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #17
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep

Great news!

After about a week and a half, my dealer was able to trade a dealer in California for an allocation! They're not making many of these cars at all, getting an allocation wasn't easy.

Car is officially ordered in BMW's system with a rough production date of 'early May'. I'll know more once I get an order/VIN # and can track it myself.

Waiting has been murder, but, more so waiting for the allocation. Now that I know the car's on track and in the works, I'll be much more patient in the coming weeks, especially being able to track it myself.

More when I know more!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #18
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep

UPDATE

My car is in Production! Estimated out of Production on May 17th (one week from today). Providing for the most generous amount of time to get to my dealer, I should be looking at the second week in June. Sooner if I'm lucky.

Nice now that it's added into my Owner's Circle page and I can track it myself. On my way!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #19
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Congrats! I too have owned several Z cars
06 Z4MR Red (traded for 35is)
07 Z4MC Black (sold)
07 Z4MC White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #20
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

I too came from the E85 to the E89. I also drove the Z3 M roadster and compared it to the E89 and I couldn't tell much different from the power plant. They both felt pretty darned fast. I will same though there is one thing I like about the E89 that you cant get in the E85 and that is the instant changing of gears. If I changed gears with a clutch that fast I would certainly be grinding away the teeth. it is like a jolt in the pants. Luv luv luv...

I do like the hard top conv better than my ole rag top. I found that ragg top cleaner every six months was a lot of work. The car had to be very clean and dry and enclosed in the garage for 24 hours for it to dry. Plus the problems with the old tops freezing up due to moisture in the mechanisms always worried me. very expensive to make right. While the new top does have its quirks it is usually a sensor that goes bad or something like that.

Over all I love how wide the E89 looks the way they made the grill wider makes the car look mean.

I think the E85 handled a bit better on stock tires. I could take curves at higher speeds with it than the E89 but I am still happy. I deal with the body roll and then the car plants itself in the curve. I have had it slip a couple times where I thought I would go off roading but it seemed to catch and take the curve.

I love the sounds it makes on down shifting. sometimes in slow traffic I drive in 1st or 2nd just so that I can hear the loud blurps.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. I miss my E85 at times but then I just romp on it a little and I am ok from there.
      06-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #21
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep

Well folks, exactly 10 weeks to the day after I called my dealer to place my order, I'm picking the car up @ 2:00PM! This morning can not go by fast enough! More later !
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 09:27 AM   #22
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Looking forward to pix. enjoy your delivery.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0