New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-01-2008, 12:30 PM   #1
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

New Z4 Technical specs??

UPDATED:
Tech Specs Here -- http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193165

Anybody have a link that has the technical specs of the new Z4?

(ie: size, weight, price, etc)

I haven't followed the Z4 much at all, but when the 335i came out, I suspected way back then that the 3.0 TT N54 engine would be in the next Z4. Is this the case?

I'm also curious as to what they are going to do about an ///M version. I wouldn't imagine the 4.0 V8 will fit under the hood, unless of course the Z4 is a bit larger.

Are they releasing both coupe and convertible?

If there is a link to this info already, please post.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 01:46 PM   #2
Tenorino
Rep
Drives: Fred Flintstone Sedan

The new Z4 is a tad bigger (inch wider and longer) than the current and of course will weigh a bit more. It's been said that an M version is not planned and yes, the V8 might not fit anyways. Since the new Z4 will come with a retractable hardtop, there will not be a coupe or a softop version. Simple state of the global economy will dictate the future of this and all other cars. BMW is all about producing new models, but must now rethink their business plan to survive.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 04:00 PM   #3
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

So there will be no fixed hardtop coupe?

WTF are BMW thinking?
The only option will be a tank retractable hardtop that adds 200-250 lbs to the curb weight, will just add to rattling and squeaks, etc.

Bad idea BMW.
Offer a fixed hard-top AND the retractable hardtop if you don't want to make a soft-top convertible.

The fixed hardtop with the 3.0TT N54 engine should not weigh more than 3300 lbs MAX and preferably 3250 lbs at most.

That would be an awesome sports car!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 05:24 PM   #4
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
So there will be no fixed hardtop coupe?

WTF are BMW thinking?
The only option will be a tank retractable hardtop that adds 200-250 lbs to the curb weight, will just add to rattling and squeaks, etc.

Bad idea BMW.
Offer a fixed hard-top AND the retractable hardtop if you don't want to make a soft-top convertible.

The fixed hardtop with the 3.0TT N54 engine should not weigh more than 3300 lbs MAX and preferably 3250 lbs at most.

That would be an awesome sports car!
Yes,hardtop coupe is coming for new Z4...will be positioned as sportier more dynamic model than the roadster.Hardtop coupe testing now.New Z4 "M" being studied now.No decision on production of "M" at this time.All this info from a well placed source in Munich.Thanks! PalBay
      12-01-2008, 05:42 PM   #5
Rubber Ducky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Drop the Dinan tune on the N-54 mill and the new Z4 will be a screamer. I have Dinan in E93 and it really flies above 3500 rpm.

Agree unlikely to be dedicated coupe or (in US) ragtop either. But folding roof is super slick and weight penalty for 2-panel version in E89 may not be horrible - TBD.

M version? Pretty easy to tune up the N-54 (Dinan hits about 385 HP and around 420 lb-ft at flywheel) and put some other goodies on it to make it a legit M version. Will depend most on whether BMW hits the mark with the basic chassis: if the basic N89 is a dog, any M version would be mostly marketing; if it's a solid sports car, M is easy.

Remaining questions (my guesses in parens):
  • Weight? (3250-3500#)
  • Cost? ($53-56K loaded)
  • Pricing available? (March)
  • Active Steering? (probably as option)
  • Electronic 'locking' rear end (probably)
  • non-M-DCT? (probably as option)
  • Steptronic? (yes as option if no DCT; no if DCT)
  • Latest iDrive/Nav setup? (probably as option)
  • Adaptive headlights? (maybe not; base if yes)
  • Run-flats? (probably)
  • M seats (probably as option)
  • HUD? (no)
YMMV...
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 12:04 PM   #6
Rubber Ducky
Lieutenant
Rep

These were my guesses on 1 December ... and how I did:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Ducky View Post
  • Weight? (3250-3500#) - correct (high end)
  • Cost? ($53-56K loaded) - based on UK and German posted-prices, my guess appears to be way low
  • Pricing available? (March)
  • Active Steering? (probably as option) - appears not
  • Electronic 'locking' rear end (probably) - yes, integral to DSC
  • non-M-DCT? (probably as option) - yes (N54 only)
  • Steptronic? (yes as option if no DCT; no if DCT) - yes, for the other engine
  • Latest iDrive/Nav setup? (probably as option) - yes
  • Adaptive headlights? (maybe not; base if yes) - appears not
  • Run-flats? (probably) - yes
  • M seats (probably as option) - appears not
  • HUD? (no) - appears not
Good to see a great car. Price is a bit scary.

If anyone has corrections to the above, please post.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 01:20 PM   #7
daveI
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4

My guess is that BMW didnt try to add on weight to the Z4 but didn't put much effort to remove weight from it either. Why? Because the M will feature not only some extra horsepower and handling, but a new emphasis on being light weight and that will actually be now considered a 'feature' of M cars. I am happy to see that!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 01:37 PM   #8
Rubber Ducky
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveI View Post
My guess is that BMW didnt try to add on weight to the Z4 but didn't put much effort to remove weight from it either. Why? Because the M will feature not only some extra horsepower and handling, but a new emphasis on being light weight and that will actually be now considered a 'feature' of M cars. I am happy to see that!
Not sure the recent record supports a BMW pursuit of 'lightness.' The M3 is - let's face it - porky. I think instead that BMW is pushing a whole-car concept that has so much technology and integrated engineering that weight becomes a secondary consideration - still important, but overcome (and overcome-able) by all else in the package, as with the M3.

I'm driving a 335i E93 and it's heavier than I would want. But is hard to find that weight in real driving, especially when the Dinan firmware kicks in.

The potential of Dinan firmware in the E89 holds promise of making an M version irrelevant, a marketing exercise putting forward a distinction without a difference. TBD.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 02:09 PM   #9
daveI
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Ducky View Post
Not sure the recent record supports a BMW pursuit of 'lightness.' The M3 is - let's face it - porky. I think instead that BMW is pushing a whole-car concept that has so much technology and integrated engineering that weight becomes a secondary consideration - still important, but overcome (and overcome-able) by all else in the package, as with the M3.

I'm driving a 335i E93 and it's heavier than I would want. But is hard to find that weight in real driving, especially when the Dinan firmware kicks in.

The potential of Dinan firmware in the E89 holds promise of making an M version irrelevant, a marketing exercise putting forward a distinction without a difference. TBD.
You are absolutly correct that the M3 is a PIG. BMW was basicly saying yea well its heavier but its got a bigger engine too so you won't notice it. Yea we did notice it This car was developed and released before the recent fuel crisis however. Ever since the 'crisis' BMW has made a big emphasis on 'Efficient Dynamics' and making everything they can more fuel efficient. That includes using turbos and smaller engines in the M lineup from now on (no more v10 M5 for example), but another thing will be lighter materials. The head of BMW M has said this on multiple occasions so I think that the next cars in the pipeline will go with this route. Use of materials seen on the M3 CSL (carbon fibre analogue bumpers, cardboard parts, etc..) small turbo engines and overall weight reduction basicly. We can thank 3$+ gasoline for BMW M waking up!

In my mind (based on BMW M statements) a BMW M as compared to a 335i would include larger engine/turbos with lighter chasis to give you more power with better handling with turbo power so that a chipped 335i would still be behind a chipped M car.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 09:06 PM   #10
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Thanks for the "updated" link that was placed in my original post by a moderator or admin.

Can't wait to see a fixed hardtop version that should be about 150 lbs lighter and hopefully $2K less in price. That will make it a bit lighter than a 135i.
Appreciate 0