New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-20-2010, 11:25 AM   #45
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Ok, so I took it in the other day and despite a whole day road test(!) they couldn't figure out where the noise came from! Arrgh. I don't understand. I didn't want them to drive it anymore so I took it back and the noise still comes on and off at idle, the std 'humming/woo' slight noise.

What I did notice, it seems, is if I'm coming to a stop and I suddenly stomp on the brakes w/ more force (watch out for rear traffic if you want to try this!) it seems there is a soft 'thunk' noise like something is loose in the back, near fuel tank area? Also, the 'humming/woo' noise seems to get cut off for a few seconds...could it be the fuel sloshing around and drowning the pump and ending the noise, albeit for just a few seconds?

Anyways, I will definitely bring it back for checking after my 2,000 break-in but would like to know your views on my above. Thx!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #46
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Do you get the same sounds when you have a completely full tank of fuel?
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 04:43 PM   #47
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
Do you get the same sounds when you have a completely full tank of fuel?
I'll have to report back later. Right now @1/2 tank and that's what I hear.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 05:57 PM   #48
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

how did the techs diagnose your noise prb?

They did just do a hearing test w/ your car at idle or did they have to roadtest it or something else?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 07:25 PM   #49
Roadstergal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
They did just do a hearing test w/ your car at idle or did they have to roadtest it or something else?
My SA told me they went by simply listening to the car at idle.
E36 - 1998 Z3 2.8 (Red, black leather, wood trim)
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 10:29 PM   #50
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dinan S3 Z4-35i

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal View Post
My SA told me they went by simply listening to the car at idle.
That's what they did with mine and compared with other Z4 sitting in their lot. They kept my car since Saturday and I just got it back this evening. They did state on the work order that the noise was not normal and they ordered a whole new tank this time which is coming from Germany and will not be here for another 2 weeks. In the mean time, I will continue to enjoy as I only hear it on and off at idle! Oh well! Still a fun car to drive around in, especially today coming home.
      07-20-2010, 11:22 PM   #51
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Hmm, then I don't know why my dealer had to take it on an extensive roadtest...and they still didn't pinpoint the noise prb!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 11:30 PM   #52
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
Quote:
Hmm, then I don't know why my dealer had to take it on an extensive roadtest...and they still didn't pinpoint the noise prb!
Not sure why, they only put 2 miles on mine. Probably from moving it around in the dealership.
      07-20-2010, 11:41 PM   #53
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
First time I brought it in 7/9/10, they replaced the in tank low pressure fuel pump part #16-11-7-210-635.

Today they ordered a whole new fuel tank part #16-11-7-210-637.

So far they haven't tried to update my software so I haven't lost my Dinan S2 flash.
      07-21-2010, 01:16 AM   #54
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Did the technician take a receptionist and a bottle of wine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flpnout View Post
Not sure why, they only put 2 miles on mine. Probably from moving it around in the dealership.
Thats one BIG dealership!

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 09:46 AM   #55
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stig 2 View Post
Did the technician take a receptionist and a bottle of wine?
Well, I hope there was no funny business going on but how could they still not know the prb, esp when ppl here are saying their techs just had to idle the car to pinpt the prb. I should've been more careful and told them NOT to roadtest, esp since it is still in the break-in period.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 03:54 PM   #56
davidmbell
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91 318d Exclusive

Garage List
My car has been in the local dealership for the past day and half due to an Engine Warning Light coming on - on the DAY I BOUGHT IT!!!!

Anyway, turns out its an o2 sensor that they've replaced. While they had it they also replaced a dented tweeter grille, a missing rubber gasket from the top of the drivers' side headlamp and also tried to sort the incredibly annoying squeeky roof.

Anyway, upon collection this afternoon I noticed a whine that wasn't there before : ( I carried on driving rather than taking it straight back just in case it was me, and the noise had always been there, but no, its definately a new noise.

So I called the dealer and they're taking it back in tomorrow. : (

I'm thinking its the LPFP in the tank. But why would it suddenly start making a noise? Surely chaging the o2 sensor in the exhaust couldn't cause this??

I've tried to do a recording of the whine and uploaded it here (.mov)

For those that have also had this issue, does this whine sound like your whine?

It sounds as if its coming from behind the drivers' seat (RHD car) or near the rear wheel...

Anyway, fingers crossed the dealer hear it and sort it.

David
Automatic
Business Nav
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 04:52 PM   #57
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Sounds like a Dyson from the next room...
Cant say I hear it on mine... (dare I say, yet)

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 05:05 PM   #58
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmbell View Post
My car has been in the local dealership for the past day and half due to an Engine Warning Light coming on - on the DAY I BOUGHT IT!!!!

Anyway, turns out its an o2 sensor that they've replaced. While they had it they also replaced a dented tweeter grille, a missing rubber gasket from the top of the drivers' side headlamp and also tried to sort the incredibly annoying squeeky roof.

Anyway, upon collection this afternoon I noticed a whine that wasn't there before : ( I carried on driving rather than taking it straight back just in case it was me, and the noise had always been there, but no, its definately a new noise.

I'm thinking its the LPFP in the tank. But why would it suddenly start making a noise? Surely chaging the o2 sensor in the exhaust couldn't cause this??

It sounds as if its coming from behind the drivers' seat (RHD car) or near the rear wheel...

David
They likely did a software update.

It appears based on bits of information here and there that one of the issues BMW has been dealing with on the fuel pump front is fuel pressure and in-tank fuel level sensors. Both of these could affect the low pressure fuel pump (LPFP) performance, which I believe in combination with low fuel levels and split fuel tank design, has a potentially detrimental affect affect on the n54 HPFP longevity.

Some folks got fed up with the sound, took their car in for a LPFP replacement but the dealer did a software update. That didn't quite the pump so in the end the dealer had to replace the pump.

Yours may or may not be bad, but it depends on how loud and annoying the sound is. If it's bothers you, don't hesitate to take it in for a replacement.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 06:21 PM   #59
davidmbell
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
They likely did a software update.

It appears based on bits of information here and there that one of the issues BMW has been dealing with on the fuel pump front is fuel pressure and in-tank fuel level sensors. Both of these could affect the low pressure fuel pump (LPFP) performance, which I believe in combination with low fuel levels and split fuel tank design, has a potentially detrimental affect affect on the n54 HPFP longevity.

Some folks got fed up with the sound, took their car in for a LPFP replacement but the dealer did a software update. That didn't quite the pump so in the end the dealer had to replace the pump.

Yours may or may not be bad, but it depends on how loud and annoying the sound is. If it's bothers you, don't hesitate to take it in for a replacement.

Why would them updating software make it noisy? When it wasn't before?

Thanks

David
Automatic
Business Nav
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 06:40 PM   #60
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I have a couple of lengthy posts on it, but I believe the HPFP problems are related to a lack of fuel from the in-tank LPFP, which results from low fuel levels compounded by a split tank design.

It appears the tank fuel level sensor and LPFP pressure sensor may be causing the LPFP to pump less fuel than it needed to keep the HPFP healthy. Software is able to modulate the speed of the pump, so to prevent HPFP problems I believe BMW modified the software to make sure the LPFP is always producing enough fuel - hence the additional noise.

Again not sure how annoying it is for you, but it's quite possible the pump is completely healthy, just louder.

Last edited by teagueAMX; 08-06-2010 at 06:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2010, 12:24 AM   #61
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:

David
Hey David, I got the EXACT same noise as you, esp after hearing your sound file. I started getting it when my new car hit below 1/2 tank for the 1st time and I had it for a while during break-in period. I noticed the noise at idle and it is strange because if I suddenly stomp on the brakes (do this on safe roads w/ no one behind you if you wanna test this!) it seems that the noise is interrupted.

*However*, good news, if yours is anything like mine, the noise has suddenly disappeared now (I'm over 2,100kms), doesn't matter what tank level I'm at. I'm hoping it's a breaking-in issue but so far so good, no more noise! If you are still breaking it in, I would advise maybe driving it more. If you must have it checked right away, make sure the techs don't take your baby on a joyride or better yet, drive it for them instead. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2010, 03:06 AM   #62
davidmbell
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hey David, I got the EXACT same noise as you, esp after hearing your sound file. I started getting it when my new car hit below 1/2 tank for the 1st time and I had it for a while during break-in period. I noticed the noise at idle and it is strange because if I suddenly stomp on the brakes (do this on safe roads w/ no one behind you if you wanna test this!) it seems that the noise is interrupted.

*However*, good news, if yours is anything like mine, the noise has suddenly disappeared now (I'm over 2,100kms), doesn't matter what tank level I'm at. I'm hoping it's a breaking-in issue but so far so good, no more noise! If you are still breaking it in, I would advise maybe driving it more. If you must have it checked right away, make sure the techs don't take your baby on a joyride or better yet, drive it for them instead. Good luck!
Mine has 14,000 miles on it, so no nit breaking it in.

It's very annoying and loud enough to be heard while moving too : (

I'll report back later.

Thanks

David
Automatic
Business Nav
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2010, 03:20 AM   #63
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Mine has 14,000 miles on it, so no nit breaking it in.

It's very annoying and loud enough to be heard while moving too : (

I'll report back later.

Thanks

David
Darn, I realized now that you've had the car for a bit. Oh well, hope it turns out ok in the end.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2010, 04:24 AM   #64
davidmbell
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Darn, I realized now that you've had the car for a bit. Oh well, hope it turns out ok in the end.
In fact only had it 2 weeks, it's a used model. Frustrated with it so far as I never had issues like this with my 3 previous MX-5's (Miatas).

David
Automatic
Business Nav
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 03:51 PM   #65
davidmbell
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Bad news I'm afraid.

Dealer will NOT replace the tank/pump.

They say all cars have a noise, and even when compared to TWO other cars that I CONSIDERED DID NOT MAKE THE SAME NOISE they will not replace the tank.

I am SO P*****D OFF.

I even played the first audio clip and one other that I did where it cuts in and out http://www.davidmbell.com/z4/whine2.mov and that still didn't convince them.

They stated as there's no fault codes and as the car is performing as intended that they can't change it on the basis of the noise. IT'S DRIVING ME MAD AND ALL I HEAR NOW : (

Dealer is Scotthall BMW Leeds.

They kept saying all cars have a whine/noise, some more than others, and how a low tank would amplify the noise.

Well I've filled the tank full and it STILL whines - so much more than the two other Z4s they had at the dealership.

I'm very disappointed with the car itself and the dealership and don't know what to do now. Try another dealer? Live with it till the bl\\dy thing breaks down AGAIN!?

Seriously wondering why I bought it and didn't stick with my trusty MX-5.

David
Automatic
Business Nav
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 03:59 PM   #66
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep

Garage List