New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-10-2015, 08:31 AM   #23
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
Are ascots still a thing?
Wear one and find out. But don't forget the 3 piece suit, the monocle, the wooden tobacco pipe and the pocket watch and chain.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 09:51 AM   #24
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
Ok let's talk but give the thread some direction to go in at least to start. What about style or horses wearing pants would you like to discuss
I was thinking it could be modeled on the watch sub-forum. There are tons of threads there talking about every watch imaginable. Or showing off a latest buy or a whole collection. Or discussing where to buy used or new, etc. I thought a style forum would be similar. Past threads about style have covered suits, ties, shoes, shirts, and so forth. I think having a sub-forum would help keep threads on target and not get hijacked, as always happens in OT. You don't see thread hijacking in the watch forum very often. A style sub-forum might "steal" some business from the larger OT, but personally I'm glad Watches and Politics and Health/Fitness all have their own sub-forums. If I want to read about those things, I go there.

"Life is uncertain, eat bacon now."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 01:50 PM   #25
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I'm really taking a fancy to bow ties, and they get noticed way more than regular neckwear
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 03:15 PM   #26
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
Ok let's talk but give the thread some direction to go in at least to start. What about style or horses wearing pants would you like to discuss
Let's talk suits.

Here's the number one pet pieve I often see: wearing sports socks with a suit.

If you wear bright colored/patterned socks with a suit, you're not being funny or edgy....you're just an ass.

Sports socks should be worn with....sportswear.

It is sometimes acceptable to wear socks of a different color from your suit. However, the color should match something else you're wearing (pocket square, cufflinks, etc).

On a simlar note: your pocket square should NEVER match the color of your tie. Sports announcers do it, but that doesn't make it acceptable.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 03:29 PM   #27
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

What about my pocket protector so I don't get ink stains from my pen collection?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 03:52 PM   #28
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
What about my pocket protector so I don't get ink stains from my pen collection?
LOL, either that was a very lucky guess or you found one of my past posts.

At one time, I used to keep my pen in my outter jacket pocket. After I stopped buying crappy suits that quickly changed.

Nearly every suit jacket these days has a pocket for a pen. That's where I keep mine now.

The problem with the outter jacket pocket is that it's placed too high up on your chest. Unless you're 110 pounds, that's a great way to make a nice suit look like crap.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 04:03 PM   #29
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomHero View Post
Let's talk suits.

Here's the number one pet pieve I often see: wearing sports socks with a suit.

If you wear bright colored/patterned socks with a suit, you're not being funny or edgy....you're just an ass.

Sports socks should be worn with....sportswear.

It is sometimes acceptable to wear socks of a different color from your suit. However, the color should match something else you're wearing (pocket square, cufflinks, etc).

On a simlar note: your pocket square should NEVER match the color of your tie. Sports announcers do it, but that doesn't make it acceptable.
I wears brightly colored socks with my suits all the time! I think it works very well.

Austin is also clueless when it comes to dressing right. Now Dallas, that's a different story. Dallas dresses PROPER.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 04:11 PM   #30
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

There are only 2 times I don't wear my quarter black socks: It's cold and I'm wearing boots, or I have my Tevas on.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 04:22 PM   #31
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I wears brightly colored socks with my suits all the time! I think it works very well.

Austin is also clueless when it comes to dressing right. Now Dallas, that's a different story. Dallas dresses PROPER.
Let me clarify: I'm speaking strictly about business formal settings.

If you're wearing a linen suit on the beach in Mexico, more power to you.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 05:16 PM   #32
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
personally I like to look like a schlub, its just even better when people see me get out of my car dressed in track pants and a north face.
      02-10-2015, 07:27 PM   #33
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomHero View Post
Let me clarify: I'm speaking strictly about business formal settings.

If you're wearing a linen suit on the beach in Mexico, more power to you.
I was talking about business formal also...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 07:41 PM   #34
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

I've started wearing pseudo-casual shirts with knit ties. Been getting some compliments. Nice middle ground between business formal and casual Friday. It's not hard to look "dressed up" in a university environment. Only the top dogs and the business school guys wear suits.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 09:52 PM   #35
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I've started wearing pseudo-casual shirts with knit ties. Been getting some compliments. Nice middle ground between business formal and casual Friday. It's not hard to look "dressed up" in a university environment. Only the top dogs and the business school guys wear suits.
Let's get a picture mate. Go on.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 10:36 PM   #36
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

I thought I accidentally clicked on the forums my wife frequents. Fashion sub forum? For real?

Let's all post a pic of our oldest underwear instead. I've got some reaching the 10 year anniversary.
      02-10-2015, 10:45 PM   #37
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
I thought I accidentally clicked on the forums my wife frequents. Fashion sub forum? For real?

Let's all post a pic of our oldest underwear instead. I've got some reaching the 10 year anniversary.
Just like your socks, you toss it all after a year or so and refresh everything.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 10:59 PM   #38
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six
I like knit ties quite a bit myself although I only own 2. I wouldn't ever wear them in a conservative business environment or in a more formal setting though.

Throw on some wool pants, dress shirt and a sport coat with it and you're good to go. Take it to the next level with a pocket square.

And that brings up another point: don't make your suit fits to "matchy". It'll look cheap, poorly thought out and easy, i.e. no creativity or style. What's best is to wear colors that COMPLIMENT (versus matching which denotes and being exact) each other or are in the same family. (Color theory and color wheel, anyone? Bueller?)

Example: you have a dark blue and white regent stripe tie. Don't wear the same color/pattern pocket square like it's one of those $9.99 sets from Ross. Same with socks, colors and patterns should compliment some other component but NOT be a perfect match. The only exception is with belts and ties. Now those should match!

To whomever said only black socks to work? So you never wear brown shoes? Try some Browns with grey or blue instead of black. I like the pairing quite a bit and wear it more than grey/black. Ignore the "no brown in town" saying. It's quite appropriate and looks quite good.

I don't like the cropped suit look either. It is a fashion trend that will look dated in a few years. Stick with a classic cut but, guys, spend the money to get it tailored. A $150 suit from target can look better than a $5K suit from Kiton if the fit is right.

And yes I'm serious. I've spent the time and money to invest in a good wardrobe. I'll never claim to be anything close to an expert, but I know my way around quality clothes and what's good/what's not.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 11:36 PM   #39
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Here are a couple of examples.

LL Bean shirt with wool knit tie.

Orvis shirt (most comfortable shirt ever) with wool knit tie. I realize this is matching instead of complimentary, but it works.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 11:38 PM   #40
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

The second one is a good match. I like it better than the top combo.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 11:46 PM   #41
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Maybe the Clothes Horse is the UFF side-kick to the Clothes Whores that ends up cock-blocking you and dragging the one you were trying to pick up out of the bar. But clothes horse isn't smarter than you. You already got the phone number.

Clothes horse is an interesting specimen to observe in their natural habitat. She loves oats-most food really - but talks about pseudo-healthy crap since she's the wingman, the back row support to your A-Girl. But clothes horse hates sowing of the oats. How ironic.

Maybe your wingman can do you a favor and ride that pony all the way out of your dating game.

This, my fellow O/T'ers is the Clothes Horse.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 11:52 PM   #42
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The tie in the top image is not as bright as it appears in the image. It's more muted than that. The only snide remark I heard about that one is that it makes me look like an Illini fan. Univ. of IL colors are blue and orange.

But I agree, the bottom combo is my fav as well.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 11:58 PM   #43
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six
Quote:
The tie in the top image is not as bright as it appears in the image. It's more muted than that. The only snide remark I heard about that one is that it makes me look like an Illini fan. Univ. of IL colors are blue and orange.

But I agree, the bottom combo is my fav as well.
I like the 2nd one too although the 1st could easily take the win with a good tweed jacket. (And perfect for University is it not?)

Edit: I'm not a fan of button-down collars with jackets. If you do it make sure there is a good roll to the collar AND the lapel
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 01:36 PM   #44
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

This is a pretty accurate list of general "Do's" and "Do Not's."
http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/unspok...now#.obYzKgBeA

The only one I don't agree with is #16- always go with a windsor.

There are plenty of instances when a 4-in-hand knot looks more aethetically pleasing. In fact, the picture they included (for #16) looks to be a 4IH knot rather than a half or full windsor.
Appreciate 0