New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-29-2015, 09:27 PM   #1
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Nats' Werth Pleads Guilty To Reckless Driving

This is why VA is the WORST state to drive fast in. Remember, it's still the only state (excluding DC) that doesn't allow radar detectors.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12...ve-5-days-jail
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 10:28 PM   #2
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Old story, he had a GT3 RS 4.0
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 07:35 AM   #3
Gbiz
Fo Shizzle
Rep
Drives: .

Virginia is notorious for stuff like this. I had a guy who worked for me that got pulled over in the Yorktown area doing 120 on his motorcycle at 1 am. He had to do 20 days in jail and pay a $500 fine. His 20 days were done over 10 weekends. He would check-in on Fridays at 6pm and leaved Sunday at 6pm. Why not just charge a decent fine and call it a day. Not to say driving at speeds like this isn't dangerous, but aren't there better things to lock people up for like drugs, DUIs, hit and runs, assaults, robberies, or murders?

Last edited by Gbiz; 01-30-2015 at 07:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 08:32 AM   #4
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335ix

like many on here i am a big fan of "no such thing as enough" capitalism, but this is what happens when you privatize the prison system.

the incentive to throw people in prison is too great.

although the judge who passed this judgment (and others like it) was just following the penal code, the people who wrote the laws the judge followed were quite possibly influenced by one lobby or another.
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2015, 09:59 AM   #5
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by got da booze View Post
Virginia is notorious for stuff like this. I had a guy who worked for me that got pulled over in the Yorktown area doing 120 on his motorcycle at 1 am. He had to do 20 days in jail and pay a $500 fine. His 20 days were done over 10 weekends. He would check-in on Fridays at 6pm and leaved Sunday at 6pm. Why not just charge a decent fine and call it a day. Not to say driving at speeds like this isn't dangerous, but aren't there better things to lock people up for like drugs, DUIs, hit and runs, assaults, robberies, or murders?
That's my issue. Especially, in the No. VA where the crime rate is very low, all the cops do is speed traps. Did you know that reckless driving (20mph over) is considered the same as DUI?! Yup, there's no fine to pay. It's a mandatory court date with a lawyer if you're smart.

Now, cops around the country are trying to get Google to ban Waze's ability to tag police because they think people are targeting them to kill them! What a joke. They know that this awesome, free app are taking away a huge revenue stream.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 10:18 AM   #6
///mawana
Lieutenant
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
This is why VA is the WORST state to drive fast in. Remember, it's still the only state (excluding DC) that doesn't allow radar detectors.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12...ve-5-days-jail
That's messed up,.. but at the same time why would anyone drive that crazy in the state of VA? It's common knowledge how draconian their traffic punishments can be.
      02-05-2015, 02:35 PM   #7
Gbiz
Fo Shizzle
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
That's my issue. Especially, in the No. VA where the crime rate is very low, all the cops do is speed traps. Did you know that reckless driving (20mph over) is considered the same as DUI?! Yup, there's no fine to pay. It's a mandatory court date with a lawyer if you're smart.

Now, cops around the country are trying to get Google to ban Waze's ability to tag police because they think people are targeting them to kill them! What a joke. They know that this awesome, free app are taking away a huge revenue stream.
Try driving through the lovely town of Emporia, VA, (population 5,927- the second least in the state) about 10 miles north of the NC/VA border. The whole town solely exists as a speedtrap. If you literally get caught going 57mph+ in the 55mph zone, they will ticket you and dpending the severity will require to come back to the town for a court hearing. Just Google the town Emporia and speed, and you'll see thousands of links.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 02:39 PM   #8
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Jayson better hit at least .300/.400/25/120 next year for the annual World Series favorites Natinals, I guess he's got plenty of time to pump iron on the weekends at the FFX detention center...

p.s. I'm a Nationals fan

Last edited by Flying Ace; 02-05-2015 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 02:50 PM   #9
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep
Drives: Regensburg Factory E92M3

Quote:
Try driving through the lovely town of Emporia, VA, (population 5,927- the second least in the state) about 10 miles north of the NC/VA border. The whole town solely exists as a speedtrap. If you literally get caught going 57mph+ in the 55mph zone, they will ticket you and dpending the severity will require to come back to the town for a court hearing. Just Google the town Emporia and speed, and you'll see thousands of links.
that is corruption using official power as pretext to seek gain by abusing people with unreasonable application of the law out of its intention. It's almost like embezzlement.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 02:53 PM   #10
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I think this was true...then I believe the State or Federal government told them to stop b/c they were abusing the law related to something on highway funding, as I recall last time I heard about this.
      02-05-2015, 03:15 PM   #11
z3papa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3 ZCP, 07 335i

Having lived in the DC Metro area for 15 years, I can tell you VA takes their speed limits to be more than mere suggestions upon which strict compliance is expected.
      02-05-2015, 03:38 PM   #12
imkrister
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe, Comp Pckg

I have lived my entire driving life in Va (specifically NoVa) and everyone knows that cops are always lurking and looking exclusively for speeders. Everyone does speed, but the cops know that and if you are passing anyone (that is already 5-10mph over) they will pull you every time. Ridiculous or not its what they do.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 07:20 AM   #13
Gbiz
Fo Shizzle
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Jayson better hit at least .300/.400/25/120 next year for the annual World Series favorites Natinals, I guess he's got plenty of time to pump iron on the weekends at the FFX detention center...

p.s. I'm a Nationals fan
Oh the days when Zimmerman was a good hitter and not injured. Remember when Zim and the Hammer were back-to-back in the lineup? We actually had some decent hitters over time, but our pitching staff was crap.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 11:47 AM   #14
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Oh the days when Zimmerman was a good hitter and not injured. Remember when Zim and the Hammer were back-to-back in the lineup? We actually had some decent hitters over time, but our pitching staff was crap.
you talking about Zimmerman - Dunn - Willingham, back to back to back? That was a lethal combination. I recall a game when all 3 homered and when Willingham hit 2 grand slams in 1 game.

Once again we have the BEST pitching staff in MLB. We have 3 guys who when healthy can hit .300/.400/25/120 each (Zimm, Harper, Werth, Ramos). Our best pitcher from last year (roark) is likely pushed to the bullpen, and we're in a position to relieve the stress off Strasburg and put him in the 5th starter slot. We BETTER make it to the World Series this year.

btw, we also signed Dan Uggla to a minor league contract, if somehow this guy can find his bat...wow.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 02-06-2015 at 11:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 05:45 AM   #15
Gbiz
Fo Shizzle
Rep

Quote:
you talking about Zimmerman - Dunn - Willingham, back to back to back? That was a lethal combination. I recall a game when all 3 homered and when Willingham hit 2 grand slams in 1 game.

Once again we have the BEST pitching staff in MLB. We have 3 guys who when healthy can hit .300/.400/25/120 each (Zimm, Harper, Werth, Ramos). Our best pitcher from last year (roark) is likely pushed to the bullpen, and we're in a position to relieve the stress off Strasburg and put him in the 5th starter slot. We BETTER make it to the World Series this year.

btw, we also signed Dan Uggla to a minor league contract, if somehow this guy can find his bat...wow.
I know at one point Zim and Willingham were back-to-back, but definitely Dunn as well. Don't forget about Marlon Byrd; he did quite well. Dunn's problem though was he was either a homerun or strikeout guy.

It's funny you mention alleviating stress off of Strasburg. Several years back, he was all the Nats could think and talk about and now he's probably the 4th man of the rotation. Zimmermann and Fister were tearing it up last year! If you look at this year's rotation, it's going to be sick! Poor Gio, going from CY Young candidate to not so great last year; I hope he has a rebound year this year.

I hate Dan Ugla.... he should choke on that big wad of dip in his mouth. I just don't see him or Escobar being a good fit on the team. We already have a fading strikeout king (Espinosa).
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 11:07 AM   #16
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I know at one point Zim and Willingham were back-to-back, but definitely Dunn as well. Don't forget about Marlon Byrd; he did quite well. Dunn's problem though was he was either a homerun or strikeout guy.

It's funny you mention alleviating stress off of Strasburg. Several years back, he was all the Nats could think and talk about and now he's probably the 4th man of the rotation. Zimmermann and Fister were tearing it up last year! If you look at this year's rotation, it's going to be sick! Poor Gio, going from CY Young candidate to not so great last year; I hope he has a rebound year this year.

I hate Dan Ugla.... he should choke on that big wad of dip in his mouth. I just don't see him or Escobar being a good fit on the team. We already have a fading strikeout king (Espinosa).

Dan Uggla is horrible defensive player. I agree with you, 2B is the issue and has always been an issue ever since Zimmerman got hurt and they need players to rotate.

I'm surprised they still stuck with Espinosa, they must still see some potential. Escobar I think could be the answer. Ideally, Rendon should play 2B, but that leaves 3rd base open. We need Lombardozzi back. lol.

02-09-2015, 12:21 PM   #17
Gbiz
Fo Shizzle
Rep

Quote:
Dan Uggla is horrible defensive player. I agree with you, 2B is the issue and has always been an issue ever since Zimmerman got hurt and they need players to rotate.

I'm surprised they still stuck with Espinosa, they must still see some potential. Escobar I think could be the answer. Ideally, Rendon should play 2B, but that leaves 3rd base open. We need Lombardozzi back. lol.

Nice picture! I think Rendon was definitely a hidden gem in the farm. Escobar could be a lockeroom cancer and that's what I am worried about most. A Nyjer Morgan if you must. It's a shame that we will lose Desmond next year, but he's just going to be too expensive for the Nats, plusthey have really blown their money on Zimmerman, Werth, and now Sherzer. I'm still miffed about trading Clippard though; we should've traded Storen.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 12:29 PM   #18
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Nice picture! I think Rendon was definitely a hidden gem in the farm. Escobar could be a lockeroom cancer and that's what I am worried about most. A Nyjer Morgan if you must. It's a shame that we will lose Desmond next year, but he's just going to be too expensive for the Nats, plusthey have really blown their money on Zimmerman, Werth, and now Sherzer. I'm still miffed about trading Clippard though; we should've traded Storen.
yep, Clippard has been our best and most consistent reliever last 3 years. I am still pissed at Storen.

Desmond is my favorite player...I think he's destined to the Yankees. Interesting how everyone thinks the Nats are running out of money. Never in my life, I would have thought they could come up with the cash for Sherzer, Zimm, and Werth, and they keep surprising me. (don't forget Harper, Strasburg, and Jordan Zimmerann also has looming paydays coming up in the next few years) Owners have some deep pockets and appears they are willing to spend for a championship.

here's an interesting article on trade value of Stasburg vs Jordan:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/f...an-zimmermann/

Last edited by Flying Ace; 02-09-2015 at 12:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 05:43 PM   #19
delorean696969
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

My last speeding ticket was 56 in a 55 in VA (clear day no weather issues). The southwest part of Virginia (Blacksburg/Roanoke) is the absolute worst even compared to northern VA; the cops really and I mean REALLY have nothing to do but increase county revenues by writing outrageous driving violations. I moved away 8 years ago to Florida; I have never had a problem in FL and will never move back to that tax raping and commonWEALTH crap hole of a state. Virginia is for Suckers; not lovers. No offense to those who love that place; as I did enjoy living in Northern VA for the first 10-years of my life before moving to the hellhole of SWVA for the next 15 years.
Appreciate 0