New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

01-16-2024, 02:36 AM   #1
Waftycrankers
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89

Steering wheel worn

Hi all. Just looking for some advice on why this may have happened to my steering wheel. It’s not rough as it may appear in the images, it’s all very smooth and it’s kind of random patches. It’s not sticky like some have said about theirs. Car has only done 58k so shouldn’t be excessively worn. Many thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 02:54 AM   #2
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

Do you use any interior detailing products?
In the beginning i used Meguiars quick interior detailer and a microfiber towel to clean my interior. mainly buttons, wood trim , plastics, door handles...

But i also used it to wipe the steering wheel. and i noticed that towel was always getting dirty while doing it. Fact was that it was actually removing the finish of the leather.. and some worn spots appeared.

So be very delicate with the steering wheel cleaning.

For me the only option was to retrim the wheel.
      01-16-2024, 02:56 AM   #3
Waftycrankers
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
Do you use any interior detailing products?
In the beginning i used Meguiars quick interior detailer and a microfiber towel to clean my interior. mainly buttons, wood trim , plastics, door handles...

But i also used it to wipe the steering wheel. and i noticed that towel was always getting dirty while doing it. Fact was that it waas actually removing the finish of the leather.. and some worn spots appeared.

So be very delicate with the steering wheeel cleaning.

For me the only option was to retrim the wheel.
Thanks for the advice. I’ve had the car for a couple of months and was already like this. I am booked in with a leather restorer. Will post up ‘after’ pics too.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 06:23 AM   #4
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

I used this on a really bad wheel I bought, came up a treat

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Furniture-C...zcF9hdGY&psc=1

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 11:12 AM   #5
Waftycrankers
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesZed View Post

Thanks. I have seen this before but didn’t have the confidence to try. Just watched a couple of YouTube videos and looks pretty straight forward. Just ordered, my job for the weekend!
If I ‘mess’ it up, I’ll book in with a leather restorer!
Cheers for the advice…. 👍🏾
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 11:57 AM   #6
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waftycrankers View Post
Thanks. I have seen this before but didn’t have the confidence to try. Just watched a couple of YouTube videos and looks pretty straight forward. Just ordered, my job for the weekend!
If I ‘mess’ it up, I’ll book in with a leather restorer!
Cheers for the advice…. 👍🏾
No problem, always happy to help.
Just follow the instructions and you can't go wrong

Appreciate 1
      01-16-2024, 04:23 PM   #7
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 sDrive35is

OP, get it refurbed at Control Customs. Whilst at it, get the flat bottom and the sporty grips.

https://controlcustomsuk.com/
Attached Images

01-17-2024, 12:51 AM   #8
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesZed View Post

How does this dye last or wear over time? I did consider going that route but some restoration and detailing guys told to not even bother with it and to just retrim.. They said it doesnt last, rubs off etc and you would soon be back at the same problem... You could use it in low use areas like door and dash leather trim... maybe even some areas of the seats... but steering wheel gets alot of use and isnt really recommended.
Maybe its an option if you want to clean the interior up for sale.
      01-17-2024, 02:54 AM   #9
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
How does this dye last or wear over time? I did consider going that route but some restoration and detailing guys told to not even bother with it and to just retrim.. They said it doesnt last, rubs off etc and you would soon be back at the same problem... You could use it in low use areas like door and dash leather trim... maybe even some areas of the seats... but steering wheel gets alot of use and isnt really recommended.
Maybe its an option if you want to clean the interior up for sale.
Well all i can say is that I've had mine on for over a year now, mine is my daily driver and I've seen no issues with wear except for it going slightly shiny, but this can be rectified with a quick go over with a magic sponge. But certainly no deterioration in the colour.
I agree though that the best would be to have it re-trimed

Appreciate 1
      02-02-2024, 05:23 PM   #10
spadman
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i; X4 35i, M850i G16

steering wheel worn

I went with the re-wrap and flat bottom too
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 08:24 PM   #11
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep

What about heated steering wheels?
Can this flat bottom mod still be done to a heated steering wheel and keep wheel heating functionality?
I guess it can and it just comes down to how much you are willing to pay?

Also i notice different badge on the airbag... how did you do that? Sticker of some sort?
      02-03-2024, 02:31 AM   #12
Jakeinaka
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 20i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadman View Post
I went with the re-wrap and flat bottom too
That is art
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 03:49 AM   #13
B21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E89 Atacama Yellow 35is

In the UK. I went with Royal Steering Wheels for an Audi-esque look..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 08:06 AM   #14
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What about heated steering wheels?
Can this flat bottom mod still be done to a heated steering wheel and keep wheel heating functionality?
I guess it can and it just comes down to how much you are willing to pay?
When I started that project, only two shops guaranteed to keep the heated steering. One was here in Silicon Valley, but their prices were ridiculous. The other was Custom. The heat works fine, but it’s slightly less warm on the ‘flat’ portion.

IRT the flat bottom, it’s a bit of an optical illusion. They don’t flatten the bottom. They add material to make a round into a straight. So actually, the outer perimeter of the steering wheel becomes bigger. If your seat is low and your thighs are thin/normal, you’re ok.

I’m very pleased with Custom’s work.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 08:18 AM   #15
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep

Everybody flexing their modded steering wheels...
thought i would bring it down a notch...

heres mine after retrim...
only photo i found of it on my phone when it was still fresh...quality isnt that good...

but... just a simple retrim in new nappa leather for 140 eur...

As i have steering wheel heating and wanted to keep its functionality it took me some time to find a guy that guaranteed that it would still work after retrim... He charged me extra 20 eur for the extra time it took to remove old leather really carefully without damaging the heater element wire underneath.... so regular wheel retrim was 120 + 20 extra for the extra time heating option caused.

Really happy that heating remained functional... cant really live without it...

New heated steering wheel rim without buttons etc from BMW is 930 eur by the way....

02-03-2024, 08:32 AM   #16
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoose View Post
When I started that project, only two shops guaranteed to keep the heated steering. One was here in Silicon Valley, but their prices were ridiculous. The other was Custom. The heat works fine, but it’s slightly less warm on the ‘flat’ portion.

IRT the flat bottom, it’s a bit of an optical illusion. They don’t flatten the bottom. They add material to make a round into a straight. So actually, the outer perimeter of the steering wheel becomes bigger. If your seat is low and your thighs are thin/normal, you’re ok.

I’m very pleased with Custom’s work.
Yea i wasnt sure how they achieved this flat bottom look... In my mind the whole point of flat bottom is to give driver more room to get in and out.. but if they add material and its just for looks... defeats the point doesnt it....
      02-03-2024, 11:20 AM   #17
B21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E89 Atacama Yellow 35is

Quote:
Yea i wasnt sure how they achieved this flat bottom look... In my mind the whole point of flat bottom is to give driver more room to get in and out.. but if they add material and its just for looks... defeats the point doesnt it....
Contrary to what the poster said..on this page the seem to offer the Audi flat bottom mod..

I suspect that doing the flat bottom mod AND retaining the heating is a bridge too far..

The guys I used Royal said they couldn’t do it..I sacrificed my wheel heating for the Audi chop..

I just use the dash vents to blow hot air over my hands..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 03:57 PM   #18
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

To properly flatten the bottom of a round wheel, you have to cut and trim the lower spoke, bend the wheel, attach everything together, and do the same with the plastic cover. Alas that’s not what they do. Like Kenny said, it defeats the purpose. But Custom’s looks great, it’s different, I get many compliments, it doesn’t get on the way of getting in and out of the car, and most importantly, wifey likes it. Boom.

Custom also do the sporty handle. And keep the heating element.

If anybody wants to see more photos, send a PM, and we’ll take from there.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 05:27 PM   #19
spadman
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i; X4 35i, M850i G16

@KennyP - no heat function with flat bottom. Yes that is a sticker
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 08:31 AM   #20
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep

thought it was a sticker...
I also have sticker badge covering the original badge... im using bmw oem part for this...

can see it here:
https://www.hubauer-shop.de/en/plaqu...131181082.html

my airbag badge developed some defects due to age... the silver shiny ring part developed like cracks or something like that... it wasnt totally horrible but it did not look fresh anymore...
and you cant just replace the badge... correct way would be to get a new airbag but thats expensive.. so this is an alternative...

Of course im aware that sticking stuff on your airbag isnt the best idea... in an accident they can go flying at your face when airbag deploys...

you can see that badge installed on the picture i added above aswell...