New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

09-21-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
SquireG
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4-SDrive35i

Base Stereo Solution???

Has anyone seen, heard or know anything about the JBL MS-8? Do you think this could be a viable solution to improving the sorry state of the base radio?

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-MS-8-MS-Di...5101123&sr=8-1

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 04:21 PM   #2
6MT4me
E90 M3 and Z4 35i
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i cab mineral grey

base radio solution

Hey squireG, I tried to replace the speakers and added 2 JLA amps and the system still sounded horrific. The headunit has such heavily equalized output, that nothing can totally save it, garbage in and garbage out. I replaced the headunit with the new pioneer double din navi and audio unit, the speakers are JLAs as are the amps, and it is like day and night. Professional installation highly recommended and worth it, sounds better than the premium with more flexibility, and now I have navi without the BMW's clumsy Idrive.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

Or.........like I did....

Go spend the $2000 you saved by not getting the Premium System on something nice for yourself and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 11:51 PM   #4
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT4me View Post
Hey squireG, I tried to replace the speakers and added 2 JLA amps and the system still sounded horrific. The headunit has such heavily equalized output, that nothing can totally save it, garbage in and garbage out. I replaced the headunit with the new pioneer double din navi and audio unit, the speakers are JLAs as are the amps, and it is like day and night. Professional installation highly recommended and worth it, sounds better than the premium with more flexibility, and now I have navi without the BMW's clumsy Idrive.
I assume that you're talking about installing something like the JL Audio or Pioneer AXM-P90RS that takes the BMW head unit signal, allows you to re-equalize it with pre-outs for digital amps, etc.?

I think the biggest thing people fight is getting a new headend unit that doesn't look poor and doesn't give up the functionality of the built in systems. But I really would like to see how the new headend fits! Please provide pics of it and the installation if possible.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 12:56 AM   #5
T89
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i & Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
I think the biggest thing people fight is getting a new headend unit that doesn't look poor and doesn't give up the functionality of the built in systems.
+1. That is my main concern. I like the OEM look and feel.

T
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 07:53 AM   #6
6MT4me
E90 M3 and Z4 35i
United_States
Rep

base stereo

Will try to take some pics and then post for all to see. Was at the dealer for a tire blowout and replacement and the service adviser was impressed with the way the unit looked and the nice job done to make it look like it belonged there.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 07:57 AM   #7
6MT4me
E90 M3 and Z4 35i
United_States
Rep

base stereo

The headunit is the Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT, can be seen on the Pioneer Mobile website.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 10:21 AM   #8
SquireG
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4-SDrive35i

Thanks for the replys. I have the nav system and most of the audio is controlled through the nav screen. So replacing the head unit isn't an option for me. That is why I was thinking that this unit could take the signal, process it and produce something that is actually listenable. But maybe I should just accept getting F'ed by BMW and stop stressing........;(
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 10:38 AM   #9
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT4me View Post
The headunit is the Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT, can be seen on the Pioneer Mobile website.
How did you build in a double din unit?

I know below the E89 radio unit, there is space to put a double din, but then you will get problems to access the seat heating and other buttons.

Appreciate 0