New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

09-19-2014, 03:52 PM   #1
zedguy
Rep
Drives: 2011 z43.5is

Speaker upgrades

For those that want to upgrade all 10 speakers from bavsound, I am organizing a group buy so the company will have enough orders to make them. 10 people are needed (9 as I am one). Please PM me if interested an will give all the details.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #2
Visionist
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: E89 35i - Orion/Pure White

The speaker placements are as follows aren't they?

- Separate midrange driver and tweeter in the centre dash.

- Separate midrange driver and tweeter between the seats.

- Seperate midrange driver and tweeter in each door.

- One Subwoofer behind each seat.

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 06:36 PM   #3
Mayhem
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35is

Are you dealing with Jason from Bavsound on this? A month or two ago, Bavsound did a complete install of upgrade speakers in my Z4. Jason from Bavsound was the one who performed the install at their development facility in California. I can tell you what goes into the upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 05:47 PM   #4
zedguy
Rep
Drives: 2011 z43.5is

10 spk Bavsound

yes, this is the same system with 10 speakers from Jason. Need 10 peolple forn the group buy, Tell us more about the upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 09:30 AM   #5
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

If we can't get 10 for the complete package - I'd be interested in just a 6 speaker upgrade (6.5/4/1) up front.

I'm betting, with their pricing, they can't beat what a decent set-up would cost from Hertz/Audioson (~$400)
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 12:04 AM   #6
Mayhem
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35is

Here's the issue in a nutshell. All of the speakers fit in the Z4 from off the shelf drivers already available from the BAVSOUND line for the other BMW lines they support such as the 3 series. The big issue is that of all the speakers, the most important ones in my opinion-- the ones that go in the front doors needed to be custom fit. There was absolutely no modification or cutting to the doors or panels, however there were two replaceable plastic "shrouds" behind the stock OEM speakers that needed to be slightly modified in order for the BAVSOUND speakers to fit. Jason told me that it wasn't that big of a deal, and that I could always buy just the shrouds from BMW for about $20 if I wanted to go back to the stock speakers, but BAVSOUND prides itself in 100% drop in installs, and in order for that to happen, BAVSOUND would have to produce a custom molded plastic shroud to completely replace the stock shroud. Jason was adamant, that he wanted all the parts to be drop in without any need for the customer to do any Dremeling or cutting. That being said, he didn't think there would be enough interest from Z4 owners to produce a custom molded shroud part. I am not sure what Jason plans to do with 10 kits. It's possible they will take the OEM shrouds and customize them by hand to put in the group buy kits, I'm not sure. Or maybe he will go ahead and produce a custom molded shroud hoping more will eventually be sold.

What I can say is that I am forever grateful to Jason and Cory at BAVSOUND for installing a great sounding system that is magnitudes better than the stock premium sound system. I'd have to say the sound is absolutely brilliant and aside from the shroud I mentioned, was all drop in parts and completely reversible to stock.

I would say it's well worth the group buy price if you decide to go that route. Like I said, it's a killer sounding system. I'd even offer up my car again if Jason decides he needs it to make a pattern for the shroud piece.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 07:18 PM   #7
X3n0
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35i

I bought the premium sound system just because of how absolutely awful I was hearing that the base system was. I still find is completely unacceptable that BMW put in such a subpar system considering the cost of this vehicle - and the fact that it's going to have its top DOWN for a considerable portion of its life!!! I sent a PM - hopefully there will be enough of us to make this happen.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 03:59 AM   #8
Visionist
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: E89 35i - Orion/Pure White

Is it possible to upgrade the 11 speaker system to the full-fat 14 speaker premium affair? I suppose if one can source the BMW speakers and amp it can be done?

Sorry to derail the group-buy topic.
Appreciate 0