New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

01-26-2011, 09:08 PM   #23
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrK View Post
BTW - I have the premium sound and from my perspective (an old man with tinitus) it actually sounds quite good. I especially like it @ 80 mph with the top down. Anyway in years past, when music was imprinted on black disks, I owned a nice 300W Harmon Kardon amp/preamp w/JBL L65 which was a quite good home system for the day. IMO the premium sound is at least equal to that and the small cabin of the Z actually has good acoustics.

Irregardless of the quality of the sound system many times I turn it off and listen to the sweet sounds emanating from the TT exhaust system - which is still my most favorite music.
+1 I know exactly what you are talking about...
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 01:39 PM   #24
mstevens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M4Misano Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011Z4 View Post
So you're really don't think that whether a system has 14 speakers, 650 watts or 10 speakers, 235 watts matters all that much, potentially?
No, I don't think number of speakers or power output matter much at all.

A small number of excellent speakers will always be better than a large number of crappy speakers. Always. For one thing, good speakers reproduce sound more accurately than bad speakers. For another, each wire run and crossover introduces sources of distortion.

Wattage, which is purely the power output of the amp, matters very little as long as it is sufficient to drive the speakers. Accuracy of sound representation is vastly more important than sound output. Tons of power pumping out distorted sound is going to sound terrible, but loud.

My personal goal in reproducing music is to have it sound as much as possible like what I would hear if I'd been there for the original performance. That includes volume. This is never going to be possible in a car to begin with, but I'm still looking for accurate reproduction more than anything else. If you're primarily listening to an iPod, this may not matter much since the signal is close to garbage to begin with.

I don't have a particularly high-end setup (Rega Planar 3 turntable with Elys cartridge, PS Audio preamp, B&K ST240 amp, old custom CD transport with custom DAC) but even on this gear the same performance is audibly different if the source is vinyl LP, CD, or various file formats (.mp3, .aac, etc.)

The very best-sounding systems are quite often the most minimalist.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 04:58 PM   #25
2011Z4
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstevens View Post
No, I don't think number of speakers or power output matter much at all.

A small number of excellent speakers will always be better than a large number of crappy speakers. Always. For one thing, good speakers reproduce sound more accurately than bad speakers. For another, each wire run and crossover introduces sources of distortion.

Wattage, which is purely the power output of the amp, matters very little as long as it is sufficient to drive the speakers. Accuracy of sound representation is vastly more important than sound output. Tons of power pumping out distorted sound is going to sound terrible, but loud.

My personal goal in reproducing music is to have it sound as much as possible like what I would hear if I'd been there for the original performance. That includes volume. This is never going to be possible in a car to begin with, but I'm still looking for accurate reproduction more than anything else. If you're primarily listening to an iPod, this may not matter much since the signal is close to garbage to begin with.

I don't have a particularly high-end setup (Rega Planar 3 turntable with Elys cartridge, PS Audio preamp, B&K ST240 amp, old custom CD transport with custom DAC) but even on this gear the same performance is audibly different if the source is vinyl LP, CD, or various file formats (.mp3, .aac, etc.)

The very best-sounding systems are quite often the most minimalist.
I understand what you're saying, but when you're talking the difference between systems in BMW's, I don't think we're talking about cheap systems. There are a couple of different systems and I was very interested to find out which one is the Premium Sound version. I agree that the # of speakers doesn't necessarily mean quality but I also think sound is a very subjective thing.

For example, I have the Logic 7 system in my 3-series and I think it sounds great. I've read people online who say they think the same system sounds terrible. It's all in the eye (or ears) of the beholder.

Have to say, I disagree with you about the ipod. I know the sound is compressed, but it depends on the source itself. I have some tunes on my ipod that sound like garbage and some that sound pretty amazing. Some, I can't tell the difference between CD (and I'm not talking about tracks ripped directly from CD). Again, it's so subjective. Your ears are different from my ears. As you said, an automobile is not the ideal listening environment, so I think (especially in a 2-seater with a reduced area), that the relative strength of the ipod is not as important as say....listening at home on a high-end system.

Knowing the BMW and the sound I've heard before, I am fairly certain that the more powerful system is the one I'd want. I heard the base system in the 35i and it was not the greatest, in my opinion. In my experience, in the BMW, the more powerful system gives you just as clean sound and tight bass at higher volumes. The base system sounds flat to me.

Last edited by 2011Z4; 01-27-2011 at 05:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 06:38 PM   #26
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

Just out of curiosity - what model and what other options are you considering? Hope you find the sound system to your liking. I think you'll also find the car is also quite enjoyable - OMG that almost sounds lke a BMW commercial - excuse me.

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 07:40 PM   #27
2011Z4
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrK View Post
Just out of curiosity - what model and what other options are you considering? Hope you find the sound system to your liking. I think you'll also find the car is also quite enjoyable - OMG that almost sounds lke a BMW commercial - excuse me.
Besides prem. sound, I'm looking at premium pkg, navigation, DCT....deep sea blue metallic with kansas beige leather!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 08:58 PM   #28
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

How was your sound system test drive(s)?

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's

Last edited by HerrK; 02-04-2011 at 02:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 04:52 AM   #29
Visionist
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: E89 35i - Orion/Pure White

The car I'm looking at has premium audio, I'm pretty sure. The seller has exaggerated the system claiming it has "25 amplified speakers" which is obviously nonsense, unless Italian cars are somehow special. Even with the rear quarter speakers counted as two due to their coaxial tweeters (I never count a coax as two speakers, always one) that still only gives you a total of sixteen. Where are the other nine lol?

What's funny is that above the rear quarter coaxials sits a hole surely designed for a separate tweeter, yet none is specified even with premium audio?

I just spent around $15000 on my bedroom theater and the notion of not having BMW's top audio system for the car would be unthinkable.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 11:49 AM   #30
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

I've got the hi-fi system and just had a Audioson 8.9 bit installed. Made all the difference - but the speakers are still lacking - no matter how much processing you do.

Will be replacing speakers and adding a larger amp for the subs soon. Regardless, only so much you can do with a changing environment like this. Everything sounds different at 80 mph with the top down....
Appreciate 0