New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

02-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #45
goaljnky
Rep
Drives: 2011 S Drive 3.5 IS

I never get that. I have a friend who thinks my Z4 is a chick car. Of course he thinks his 91 Prelude is the shizzle. Bellowing smoke and leaking oil et al. I've had people call my Minis chick cars. Usually right after they would underestimate one and have their arse handed to them. For the most part I think it comes from those who either can't afford one, or are not happy with their vehicular decisions.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #46
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaljnky View Post
I've had people call my Minis chick cars.
The track enthusiast in me wants to agree it is not, but......
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 12:00 AM   #47
cool4re
Rep
Drives: 2013 sDrive 35is

Not a chick car with twin turbo and 7 speed dual clutch transmission. More low end torque than ANY Porsche (I've had numerous), actually more low end torque than most any car period. Nobody that owns one cares what anyone thinks in my opinion! I think my sDrive35is is a perfect daily driver, and its my second one since 2011. In L.A. I don't think I ever saw a women driving a new Z4.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #48
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

When I was driving home top down last night I was reminded again why people call the Z4 a chick car.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTE3Nzc2OTY4.html

I had already beforehand decided to take this turn in a spirited way, so that is why I was unable to respond more like a gentleman...

PS yes, its legal to turn right on red lights in China, and no, I really have absolutely no idea who those girls in the taxi were. But I remember I was overtaken by the same taxi a few minutes earlier.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 01:52 AM   #49
Gunzaro
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Speed Racer

That's it, China here I come...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #50
scoop2365
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 2.5

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Fantastic

I am a first time owner of a 2004 BMW Z4 Roadster and I love my car.This video is fantastic and being German I am proud to own this fantastic machine.
Cheers from Canada
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #51
R1robot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
When I was driving home top down last night I was reminded again why people call the Z4 a chick car.

I had already beforehand decided to take this turn in a spirited way, so that is why I was unable to respond more like a gentleman...

PS yes, its legal to turn right on red lights in China, and no, I really have absolutely no idea who those girls in the taxi were. But I remember I was overtaken by the same taxi a few minutes earlier.
BUU! HAA! HAWWW! hahahaha i'm dying here, my sides hurt. I've had a girl once laugh at me but she was on ford ranger and her boyfriend looked like a redneck version of one of the cast members of Jersey Shore. A bit disappointing but these things are laughable considering how damn competent this car is on difficult twisting roads. Ultimately, any car is a chicks car if word gets around enough.

I've had a friend who raised her F250 from stock height and do just about every manly mod just to add a decal "This is a chicks car" in hot pink as well as a few other feminine decals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickshifter69 View Post
Its not a chick car! It's the sportiest looking BMW in the line-up.
Can anyone else in Germany confirm thats how you get treated for driving a convertible? I've had people tailgate me before on an E85 or any sporty car I've owned for that matter. But i've never had anyone mouth me off as this guy explained in his video.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 03:10 AM   #52
Mick70
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35i (before: 23i)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1robot View Post
Can anyone else in Germany confirm thats how you get treated for driving a convertible? I've had people tailgate me before on an E85 or any sporty car I've owned for that matter. But i've never had anyone mouth me off as this guy explained in his video.
In certain regions, you will find a kind of "class enemy" envy, yes. So we encounter e.g. an increasing number of allegedly "politically motivated" envy scratches and car fires, typically performed by some cowards deep at night - not even restricted to expensive cars. So I am quite happy with my garages both at home and at work.

But open hate is very rare. I am commuting 30km to Freiburg on a daily basis - this city in southern Germany is considered as one of the politically leftmost German cities and the only thing that ever happend was a pizza hitting my windscreen.

Best regards

Mick
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 05:42 AM   #53
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick70 View Post
In certain regions, you will find a kind of "class enemy" envy, yes. So we encounter e.g. an increasing number of allegedly "politically motivated" envy scratches and car fires, typically performed by some cowards deep at night - not even restricted to expensive cars. So I am quite happy with my garages both at home and at work.

But open hate is very rare. I am commuting 30km to Freiburg on a daily basis - this city in southern Germany is considered as one of the politically leftmost German cities and the only thing that ever happend was a pizza hitting my windscreen.

Best regards

Mick
A pizza? Really though a Z4 is not a car I would be jealous of or even point out wow on the road. Maybe because I live in Geneva and before that Singapore where supercars are VERY common. This coming from a 35iS owner. I like my Z4 but do not think its anything that special.

As for chick car, I have only seen a few here 3 or 4 and each time it was driven by a guy. I don't have the impression its a girls car.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #54
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

Quote:

That's interesting as I've just spent 2 week vacationing in China (Shanghai and Nanjing). I've noted a few peculiarities:

- For BMW, Audi, and MB, I generally only see lower trims in a given series. I rarely see the top trim model. For example, I saw a lot of 320i and some 328i, but I don't recall seeing a single 335i. I wonder if it's tax related.

- Nearly all of them are stretched versions instead of the normal version. For example, 320Li, A4L, C200L. None of them are available in the US.

- I did not see a single Z4 until the very last last day in Shanghai, when I've basically given up hope. Then I saw in the distance an Alpine White E89, either a 23i, 28i, or 30i. I nearly shed a single tear of joy!

- BMWs are about 2x the price in China compared to US. A 2013 335Li is about 600k RMB, which at the exchange of close to 6 to 1, is close to $100k USD.

- I did see a lot of Mini's. Apparently those are pretty popular.

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #55
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfinx View Post
That's interesting as I've just spent 2 week vacationing in China (Shanghai and Nanjing). I've noted a few peculiarities:

- For BMW, Audi, and MB, I generally only see lower trims in a given series. I rarely see the top trim model. For example, I saw a lot of 320i and some 328i, but I don't recall seeing a single 335i. I wonder if it's tax related.

- Nearly all of them are stretched versions instead of the normal version. For example, 320Li, A4L, C200L. None of them are available in the US.

- I did not see a single Z4 until the very last last day in Shanghai, when I've basically given up hope. Then I saw in the distance an Alpine White E89, either a 23i, 28i, or 30i. I nearly shed a single tear of joy!

- BMWs are about 2x the price in China compared to US. A 2013 335Li is about 600k RMB, which at the exchange of close to 6 to 1, is close to $100k USD.

- I did see a lot of Mini's. Apparently those are pretty popular.
You are right. A new Z4 35i is almost 900k RMB including tax. And I have yet to see another one in China. There are some 23i and 30i but not many.

Since the fuel prices here are similar to those in the US, I believe the reason people do not buy higher trims is prestige. If you can afford a luxury 135 you will get a base 320 instead... and so on.

Because then you say you drive a BMW something-higher-series and people will never ask if its a 520 or 535 for example. I am over-joyed when I spot a 1M, 335 or 760 for that matter. They are so rare. Oh and, 3-series coupes and 6-series coupes are extremely rare as well.

Its the same with the Z4. People will note that you drive a Z4 and they can't tell the difference between a 23i and 35i even if the price difference is 200k RMB. To me, this is a good thing, but to most Chinese, that is not a good thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #56
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

Quote:
You are right. A new Z4 35i is almost 900k RMB including tax. And I have yet to see another one in China. There are some 23i and 30i but not many.

Since the fuel prices here are similar to those in the US, I believe the reason people do not buy higher trims is prestige. If you can afford a luxury 135 you will get a base 320 instead... and so on.

Because then you say you drive a BMW something-higher-series and people will never ask if its a 520 or 535 for example. I am over-joyed when I spot a 1M, 335 or 760 for that matter. They are so rare. Oh and, 3-series coupes and 6-series coupes are extremely rare as well.

Its the same with the Z4. People will note that you drive a Z4 and they can't tell the difference between a 23i and 35i even if the price difference is 200k RMB. To me, this is a good thing, but to most Chinese, that is not a good thing.
Good analysis! It's interesting to see the cultural dynamics at play. I did see one 535i on the highway I think. But you are right, I did not see any 3-series coupes.

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 03:30 AM   #57
Paul S
Rep
Drives: 35i M sport

Hi Guys. We picked up our 35i M Sport in January and it's great fun. I should probably say that it's registered in my wife's name, so technically, in our case it is a "chick's car"! (But all our previous "fast cars" have been registered that way.) We traded in an Audi RS4 cab for the car and are glad we did although do miss the old V8 a bit.
Anyway, I'm what I guess is a pretty average 5 foot 9 inches and there's not that much spare seat movement to accommodate a larger driver I don't think. I'd guess that 6 footers would feel a bit cramped - is that true? We've previously owned similar sized cars: TVR Chimaeras and a TVR Tuscan S and both of these had seat adjustment to spare. (Probably helped a bit by the moveable pedal box.)
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #58
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
I am 6 feet 1 inch and I am quite comfortable even on long trips - in the driver's seat. I can't seem to get comfortable in the passenger seat. Always just not quite enough leg room or knee room.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #59
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
I am 6 feet 1 inch and I am quite comfortable even on long trips - in the driver's seat. I can't seem to get comfortable in the passenger seat. Always just not quite enough leg room or knee room.
+1

the passenger seat is for someone who wears high heels...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #60
jpwolfe31
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

I am 6' 6" and can squeeze in with an inch of headroom. Of course, I prefer the top down. I have not noticed a difference side to side.

The only issue I have noticed is that the mirror is rather low and blocks the view a bit more than in other cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #61
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
+1

the passenger seat is for someone who wears high heels...
Ok, will try that the next time, thanks for the tip!
Appreciate 0