New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-30-2015, 04:51 PM   #1
ForZ4
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 E89 sDrive3.5is

Garage List
Unhappy Rear tow bumper cover trim BSM

Came out of the mall to find my tow cover trim was missing

Was only away from her for about 10mins - unless it fell off before hand. Anyway, has anyone had success with having a dealer replace this under a CPO warranty? I've only had her since mid-Feb... so sad as she has a hole in her butt!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 09:56 PM   #2
MannyS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Spouse’s M4CX convertible

Dealer replaced a lost cover on a previously owned BMW with no issues. Car was about a month old when I lost the cover.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 10:54 PM   #3
BMW665
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 e89

no not as simple as the dealer replacing it for no charge. I had the same issue but it was the headlight washer cover. it came off during your drive. Now when you order the $29 part, you will see it only comes in primer color. you have to paint it and apply clear coat (3 coats) then you can pop it back on. total replacement was about $75. I went to a car paint shop and had a spray paint can made up with the exact color. Turned out perfect just a pain but I now have paint for the next time it falls off
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 01:23 AM   #4
ForZ4
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyS View Post
Dealer replaced a lost cover on a previously owned BMW with no issues. Car was about a month old when I lost the cover.
Thanks for the hope. Just to confirm... previously owned, but one month old as in your ownership?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 01:28 AM   #5
ForZ4
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW665 View Post
no not as simple as the dealer replacing it for no charge. I had the same issue but it was the headlight washer cover. it came off during your drive. Now when you order the $29 part, you will see it only comes in primer color. you have to paint it and apply clear coat (3 coats) then you can pop it back on. total replacement was about $75. I went to a car paint shop and had a spray paint can made up with the exact color. Turned out perfect just a pain but I now have paint for the next time it falls off
Thanks for the info - this is what I'm afraid I might have to do - because it will have to be done. Not a huge issue, but somewhat of a hassle as I'm sure you can attest.

Was/Is the paint you did metallic - and what you had done the proper way to do that kind of finish? Keeping some spare paint is a very good idea though. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 10:30 AM   #6
MannyS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Spouse’s M4CX convertible

I bought the car new and the cover flew off at about week 5 of ownership. As mentioned, the dealer painted the replacement cover and it looks fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 11:31 PM   #7
supercarfreak
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForZ4 View Post
Came out of the mall to find my tow cover trim was missing

Was only away from her for about 10mins - unless it fell off before hand. Anyway, has anyone had success with having a dealer replace this under a CPO warranty? I've only had her since mid-Feb... so sad as she has a hole in her butt!
what color is your car?.
i got a spare red one.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2015, 03:28 AM   #8
ForZ4
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercarfreak View Post
what color is your car?.
i got a spare red one.
That's awesome of you, but I have Black Sapphire Metallic - still though, super generous - good karma to you! Actually, I found a listing on eBay vaguely noted as "Black"... it came in today and it is indeed BSM (rather than jet black).

waiting to get some 3M VHB tape... secure it in there a bit better than just the snap-in... patch that hole in her butt!
Appreciate 0