New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

09-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #1
raven333
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Sapphire Black 3.0siM sport

electronic parking brake

Hi ! There have been a number of recent threads about the rear brake pads pads not lasting very long in some cases only 17k miles.
I have just looked at my rear pads and given I have only done 11.5k miles (and I believe the pads may have been changed at 5.8k when all my callipers were replaced) the amount of wear left may only be another 5k ish judging by the thickness...even though the CBS says 15k left.....
My question is how much noise do your brakes make when you engage the electronic handbrake. For example mine are incredibly loud screeching noise as they engage and to a lesser extent release!!!!
Would appreciate your input!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
MikeChrista
Private
Rep
Drives: SDRIVE35i Space Grey

Don’t hear a sound from mine when the parking brake is used………...
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Raven why are not confident in what the I drive shows you regarding mileage left on your pads? Theres a sensor at the pad that measures thickness. I've always found it to be accurate in the BMWs I've owned. Pad lifespans are wholly determined by driving habits so you can't anticipate when your pads will be gone based on someone else's experience.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
raven333
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Raven why are not confident in what the I drive shows you regarding mileage left on your pads? Theres a sensor at the pad that measures thickness. I've always found it to be accurate in the BMWs I've owned. Pad lifespans are wholly determined by driving habits so you can't anticipate when your pads will be gone based on someone else's experience.
Hi! I am not judging directly another persons experience, but my own knowledge of brake wear. Previous to my Z4 I had a BMW 6 series with more or less the same technology managing the brakes, having done 80k miles I changed the pads (and disc's) on numerous occasions so one begins to understand how the brakes wear. Many times the wear indicator in the Idrive would say 35K for brake life, run it for 3month or so with X miles and it would come down to say 18k even though the mileage did not warrant the change.
(trying to keep it simple here). Cutting a long explanation short my rear brakes on balance have worn down very quickly, less than 2/3rds thickness!!!! Hope I am making sense!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
ChuckB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 2.0i

The rear brakes are used as part of the DTC, i.e. a pseudo electronic LSD, and will wear very quickly if you drive in a spirited fashion. Not unusual to see only the rears needing replacement after 20,000 miles (according to the German forums).

The iDrive mileage is only for the next "planned" check, it doesn't accurately show pad wear, but it does try to "guesstimate" what is left. I already found out that it is usually way off. I had 8,000 left on the iDrive when the wear indicator activated.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
riccis
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 30i Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckB View Post
The rear brakes are used as part of the DTC, i.e. a pseudo electronic LSD, and will wear very quickly if you drive in a spirited fashion. Not unusual to see only the rears needing replacement after 20,000 miles (according to the German forums).

The iDrive mileage is only for the next "planned" check, it doesn't accurately show pad wear, but it does try to "guesstimate" what is left. I already found out that it is usually way off. I had 8,000 left on the iDrive when the wear indicator activated.
Hope you're right as had my rear pads changed a week ago and computer is saying rear pads need changing in 9000 miles!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
raven333
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by riccis View Post
Hope you're right as had my rear pads changed a week ago and computer is saying rear pads need changing in 9000 miles!
If the pads were changed and you still have 9k on the service control message it maybe that they did not reset the pads replacement, you can easily do this yourself if you want to !!!! At least that way it is done!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #8
riccis
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 30i Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven333 View Post
If the pads were changed and you still have 9k on the service control message it maybe that they did not reset the pads replacement, you can easily do this yourself if you want to !!!! At least that way it is done!!!
So how do I reset the pad replacement myself?
Appreciate 0