New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-01-2013, 08:34 PM   #1
Sam335ix
Major
Rep
Drives: 335 ix performance edition

Muslim us soldier assaulted

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...&tid=pp_widget

I live in the DC area, stuff like this doesn't happen too often but what a shame.

An Army reservist and Iraq veteran who works as a cabdriver says a passenger he picked up early Friday at a Northern Virginia country club [Fairfax Country Club] accused him of being a terrorist because he is Muslim, then fractured his jaw in an attack being described by Islamic activists as a hate crime.

Mohamed A. Salim says the passenger compared him to the men accused of carrying out the Boston Marathon bombing 11 days earlier and threatened to kill him.

“Because I’m a Muslim, he treated me like a piece of trash,” Salim said. “I love this country. I didn’t deserve this.”

Ed Dahlberg of Clifton, who has been charged with misdemeanor assault, denied hitting Salim in a statement released by his attorney.

Muslim rights workers said Salim’s account is supported by medical records and an 11-minute, obscenity-filled video of Dahlberg’s remarks leading up to the alleged assault. Salim, a 39-year-old from Great Falls, provided The Washington Post with a copy, which his attorney described as evidence of the prejudice that others sometimes face but rarely document.

The video, which Salim took on his phone, appears to show physical contact between the men but does not capture the alleged punch that Salim said fractured his jaw, the Boston bombing reference or the threat to kill. Salim said that those happened after he stopped recording so he could call the police.

On the video, a middle-aged businessman can be heard asking Salim if he is Islamic and then asserting that most Muslims are terrorists. He says the Koran directs Muslims to kill nonbelievers and then repeatedly and loudly demands that Salim denounce the Sept. 11, 2001, attackers. When Salim asks if the passenger is threatening him, the passenger uses an obscene phrase to respond in the affirmative.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...&tid=pp_widget

Coming soon to the garage: 2014 M3 Maybe M5
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

what a non-story...
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009

well that's bad karma
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post

what a non-story...
Yep... Unless of course it was a christian being attacked for his religious beliefs then there will be more people outraged......

Any time someone discriminates against any religion due to the actions of a few, is wrong. If the Boston bombers ended up being christian extremists, do you think people would react like this and think all christians are terrorists?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
rezadue
Two turbos are better than one!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4 ZCP

His company's website is now undergoing "maintenance" for the next few days! Lol!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
smyles
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
Yep... Unless of course it was a christian being attacked for his religious beliefs then there will be more people outraged......

Any time someone discriminates against any religion due to the actions of a few, is wrong. If the Boston bombers ended up being christian extremists, do you think people would react like this and think all christians are terrorists?

Do you realize how many racial/homophobic/sexists/etc slurs are tossed around, and even jaws are broken on a daily basis in personal, 1-on-1 conflicts, caused by alcohol, road rage, neighbor conflicts, family disputes, whatever?

And you equate this to Boston bombing and want to make a story out of it?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #7
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

This kind of crap happens daily, multiple times. I guess it made the story because he was once in the Army
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #8
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Quote:

Do you realize how many racial/homophobic/sexists/etc slurs are tossed around, and even jaws are broken on a daily basis in personal, 1-on-1 conflicts, caused by alcohol, road rage, neighbor conflicts, family disputes, whatever?

And you equate this to Boston bombing and want to make a story out of it?
Do I know it happens without this story being posted? Sure.... Doesn't make it right. And shrugging it off as saying non-story only encourages the discrimination.

The fact that the Boston bombings were by radical muslims, stories like this will get media attention. We still hear stories of passengers in planes had a person removed because they were muslim( or at least were dressed like they were from the middle east).
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #9
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Some fuckstick did a douchebag thing. Why would anybody treat it like it's something special? Who fucking cares what this piece of fucked up trash did? What would be a problem is if the system condoned or rewarded it, which isn't happening. Jesus fucking Christ.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #10
kyle335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

I think this sort of media is important to out take the media that deems all muslims as terrorists. Media controls
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #11
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

No that should be done by conveying stories where Muslims do good things. But they get more bandwidth describing how some cracka ass cracka was being a cracka ass cracka, and in the process just create more drama.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #12
kyle335i
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
No that should be done by conveying stories where Muslims do good things. But they get more bandwidth describing how some cracka ass cracka was being a cracka ass cracka, and in the process just create more drama.
opinion based--> a muslim american who served in the army being called a terrorist
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #13
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle335i View Post
opinion based--> a muslim american who served in the army being called a terrorist
Not sure what you're saying here.... I read the article too. A Muslim American who served in the Army was called a terrorist and assaulted. Got it. What makes this story special though? The fact that he served in the Army? I just don't get what makes it any different than any other incident involving some jackass assaulting an innocent out of hate....
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #14
smyles
Major
Rep

Quote:
Do I know it happens without this story being posted? Sure.... Doesn't make it right. And shrugging it off as saying non-story only encourages the discrimination.

The fact that the Boston bombings were by radical muslims, stories like this will get media attention. We still hear stories of passengers in planes had a person removed because they were muslim( or at least were dressed like they were from the middle east).
Well, let's hear a story where "a person removed because they were muslim( or at least were dressed like they were from the middle east)". Not a speculation, not an "I heard it from a friend of a friend...", but a real recent story of a person being removed just for the appearance reason.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #15
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Quote:
Well, let's hear a story where "a person removed because they were muslim( or at least were dressed like they were from the middle east)". Not a speculation, not an "I heard it from a friend of a friend...", but a real recent story of a person being removed just for the appearance reason.
Here is one because they were speaking Arabic.....

http://www.krmg.com/news/news/local/...airport/nXNWW/

One from two years ago....

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/05/07...ane/index.html

Last edited by quagmire; 05-02-2013 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #16
kyle335i
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Owned
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #17
smyles
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire
Quote:

One occurred during post-bombing activities when a lot of things happened that normally wouldn't.

Second (2 yrs ago, so you really had to try hard, I give you credit for that... although, how many drunks were kickked off planes in the same time period) is primarilly based on the words of some civil rights activist. How about accounts from both sides, or better yet the final outcome of whatever investigation?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #18
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Quote:
One occurred during post-bombing activities when a lot of things happened that normally wouldn't.

Second (2 yrs ago, so you really had to try hard, I give you credit for that... although, how many drunks were kickked off planes in the same time period) is primarilly based on the words of some civil rights activist. How about accounts from both sides, or better yet the final outcome of whatever investigation?
BS. We didn't know who was behind the attack at the time this occurred. But, these people took their stereotypes to automatically lay blame on Muslims/middle eastern people. Sure fears are heightened, but it still doesn't excuse discrimination.

Last edited by quagmire; 05-02-2013 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #19
kyle335i
Banned
Rep

Quote:
BS. We didn't know who was behind the attack at the time this occurred. But, these people took their stereotypes to automatically lay blame on Muslims/middle eastern people. Sure fears are heightened, but it still doesn't excuse discrimination.
owned yet again
Appreciate 0