New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-17-2016, 11:12 AM   #1
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Atacama Yellow 35i

Retrofit A2DP bluetooth

Hi All, I've been digging all around (mostly the E9x forums) looking for an explanation of how A2DP works with our cars. I have a 11/18/2010 production E89, non-idrive car. It has this installed:
6AA BMW TELESERVICES
6AB CONTROL TELESERVICES
6FL USB-/AUDIO INTERFACE
6VC CONTROL COMBOX
639 COMPLETE PREP. CELLULAR PHONE USA/CDN
676 HIFI LOUDSPEAKER SYSTEM
693 SATELLITE TUNER PREPARATION

I have read in places that iDrive is needed for A2DP. I don't know if this is true, and if so it makes no sense (overkill). Is there a way to get A2DP working with non-idrive with factory stuff? (I have using Viseeo but having some issues with connections dropping). Any pointers to info would be helpful.

Filippo
      10-17-2016, 10:35 PM   #2
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ok spoke to bimmertech ... they say non-idrive cars can not enable A2DP. Grumble grumble.

Filippo
      10-18-2016, 02:53 AM   #3
distinctperson
Human
Rep
Drives: 2014 E89 35is

Had same issue in my non-iDrive 09 35i. Had to use a third party Bluetooth adapter. But be aware that not all adapters produce the same results. I got an expensive ($60+) one from BestBuy that produced horrible audio in comparison to the second one that I got from Amazon for $29.

The second that I got was from this link
https://www.amazon.com/iClever-Bluet...-26-spons&th=1

FWIW, it produces same results as in my '12 IS with iDrive. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 08:50 AM   #4
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So I just tried a Bovee (branded) Tune2Air and the car is frequently switching to FM (as if lost signal or something). So that gets returned. I have two other bluetooth generic units I can try, but that will provide streaming with no controls (which might be just fine). I'll try those next:

MPOW
HimBox

I didn't want an iDrive car, but this "can't get there from here" A2DP thing kinda sucks from a car company that considers itself at the forefront of technology. CD player in 2011 ... really?!

Filippo
      10-18-2016, 12:30 PM   #5
distinctperson
Human
Rep
Drives: 2014 E89 35is

Absolutely agree with your stance. The dealer was nonplussed by the absurdity of it too. The link that I shared above was for the HimBox. You don't get the ability to skip tracks via the wheel controls, but it provides OEM quality connection for a cheap price.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 03:14 PM   #6
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Running MPOW now ... sound is good, but it doesn't seem to power on when the car turns on ... I've got it getting power from USB (versus from cig lighter). I had to pull up the console and press its button to turn it on. I'll try again later today. If the same thing, that goes out the door.

I am wondering about ordering a Viseeo WMA3000B Tune2Air. I know it is the same thing as the Bovee, but I'm wondering if I had a bad one, or a firmware issue, or ... . Forum readings on other forums seems to indicate that I'm not the only one suffering "drop" issues.

I am amazed no one has a technology solution for A2DP on older and non-iDrive cars. There seems to be a couple hundred dollar headroom (people would pay that).

Filippo
      10-19-2016, 10:20 AM   #7
airmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 BMW Z4,'14 BMW X3, '17 X1

I have the Viseeo WMA3000B, love it, works fine. Powers up when the car powers up and instantly pairs with my phone. Totally seemless. Even better is that the steering wheel controls work with your phone playlist and pandora.....
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 02:55 PM   #8
kdanny626
United_States
Rep
Drives: z4m roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmorelli View Post
Hi All, I've been digging all around (mostly the E9x forums) looking for an explanation of how A2DP works with our cars. I have a 11/18/2010 production E89, non-idrive car. It has this installed:
6AA BMW TELESERVICES
6AB CONTROL TELESERVICES
6FL USB-/AUDIO INTERFACE
6VC CONTROL COMBOX
639 COMPLETE PREP. CELLULAR PHONE USA/CDN
676 HIFI LOUDSPEAKER SYSTEM
693 SATELLITE TUNER PREPARATION

I have read in places that iDrive is needed for A2DP. I don't know if this is true, and if so it makes no sense (overkill). Is there a way to get A2DP working with non-idrive with factory stuff? (I have using Viseeo but having some issues with connections dropping). Any pointers to info would be helpful.

Filippo

i know this is an old post but i thought it might still help or give you a better alternative. it looks like your setup is designed to have the usb power the ipod and the aux is for sound. you would need 249 Multi-function For Steering Wheel as an option for it to work with steering wheel controls.

i looked at the receivers you've tried and i think i went through most of them too. you need to find one without a battery in it and connect it to the socket that turns off when you turn off the car. that way it wont stay on after you turn off the car and go into standby mode which is why i think you had to push the button to reconnect like with the mpow.

it also looks like you have bluetooth for phone on your car. if you end up keeping a receiver that has phone features you need to go into your bluetooth settings on your phone to use the right one. if you dont have it set up right your car and the bt receiver will both be trying to connect to your phone. even if you do have it set up right you may need to delete/unpair everything and redo it. the combination of the technology of your car being ancient and the receiver probably being a knockoff just makes it that way.

if you havent committed to a receiver yet i would go with a much more basic one. all the features you dont care for will just be reasons for it to malfunction. if you keep it out of sight then dont get one that has media controls or can receive calls. if you bought any of them from amazon talk to customer service. they know the stuff theyre selling is from china and will work with you to exchange/return even if its been months/years.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019II1JMW?ref=emc_b_5_i

that one should be pretty good. it looks kinda big, but it will definitly fit in your center storage. it has no powerbutton and just turns on and pairs when it gets power.

the reason your car can take phone calls and not stream music is because the quality if much lower for phone calls. but if you wanted a cheaper solution you could get an app that will mimic a phone call like blue2car for iphones.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 06:16 PM   #9
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the details. I bought a WMA1000 from EU and it works pretty good.

Filippo