New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-11-2012, 07:52 PM   #23
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith. View Post
yes.., that was the point.
it made me laugh...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 01:42 AM   #24
pbw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw 240i xdrive g42

Garage List
My car also suffers from the same rattle in the same location. Difficult to try and establish what is causing it, especially when are trying to drive at the same time!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 09:04 AM   #25
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbw View Post
My car also suffers from the same rattle in the same location. Difficult to try and establish what is causing it, especially when are trying to drive at the same time!
so this phantom sound, does it sound metallic? or maybe like plastic hitting, bumping, creaking or tinny? What is your best description of the type of sound?

Could it be coming from under the car in the damper or shock area? I have seen where the boots for shocks come loose and cause a thud sound when you roll over a bump. it doesnt sound metallic.

If it sound creaky like the body is flexing I would wonder if a spot weld broke or something. That brings me back to the days of the Z3 rear floor pan issue which was known to be an issue and required extensive welding to reinforce.

I dont mean to scare you either this is not likely an issue like that.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #26
Edlogix
Rep
Drives: 2013 640i GC & 2011 X3

Same problem here, it sounds like plastic with plastic, not metal
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #27
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Sounds plastic to me. Most of the car sounds like plastic squeaking over very rough roads. I'd say this noise is more like 'chattering' or 'clicking' plastic. I also have a pop sound from the rear wheel on manhole covers, I'll look at that next! lol
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #28
redhot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
Sounds plastic to me. Most of the car sounds like plastic squeaking over very rough roads. I'd say this noise is more like 'chattering' or 'clicking' plastic. I also have a pop sound from the rear wheel on manhole covers, I'll look at that next! lol
I have a thud sound from the driver rear (feels to come from the corner of the qtr window and where the roof meets the rear deck but it really hard to tell as given the confines of our cabin the sound direction is impossible to pinpoint.

Have had it repaired twice (joints lubed) to no effect
      12-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #29
z4z4z4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3

I have an annoying sound from the passenger seat, but only when I'm going fast and my girlfriend is with me.
      12-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #30
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

I have that sound also and note that it is due to the cold weather. Subscribed to see if you guys located it and have a solution. Agreed that it sounds like plastic-on-plastic.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #31
Z_Victor1
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 G22 M440i 👍

Following this, as I have similar noise issues.

A couple of thoughts.....this car gets bad press (not by you guys) for poor quality plastic trim.

I think the motoring press read 'tough' plastic as 'poor' quality.
However, it has to be durable due to exposure issues. Lay this against cold temperature effects on plastic and bingo.....buzzes and rattles.

I had a 'thrumming' sound from behind the dash for first two years. More or less gone now. I initially thought of getting dealer to 'chase' the cause by working on the dash, but thought better of letting muppets loose on the area.

This winter more rattles just like yours ManiacGT, around the rear window frame area.

You could try something like this:-
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sonic-SuperE...6899771&sr=8-4

Basically it's a battery powered, variable strength microphone in a box to which a pair of earphones is attached. It's not a high quality device, but certainly up to the task of tracking down rattles and creaks in the car. I had an older model and it certainly helps track these gremlins down.

Helped me find several nasty chirping sounds on previous cars caused by gas struts on the hood/bonnet and boot/trunk lid. Lubricating these stopped all the squeaks.

Come the spring I plan to lubricate all the rubber trim with Mothers Back-to-Black.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 03:09 PM   #32
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for that but I think I've found the rear deck rattle cause;

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786249
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #33
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

So.. The plot continues..

After fully disassembling the roll hoops and rear deck.. The rattle persists.

I've felted all contact surfaces on the rear deck and hoops, to no avail.

So I had someone else drive the car while I sat in the passenger seat to track down the noise.

There was no noise.

So I've now figured out that a passenger will stop (or at least 90%) the noise.

First thing I thought of was the seat. So I moved and tilted the seat fully forward and took the car back out for a drive.

The noise appears to be coming from somewhere near the belt point/speaker cover in the back. I've pressed and moved all the panels here and nothing makes a noise so I'm now thinking that a plastic panel or something behind it near the belt feed is where I'll look next. I can only think that someone in the passenger seat is moving carpet or trim just a tiny amount to stop the noise or its related to the seat belt (though the noise persists if there is no passenger and the seatbelt is buckled. That or it is the seat and it just doesn't sound like it.

Driving me nuts!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #34
z4z4z4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
So.. The plot continues..

After fully disassembling the roll hoops and rear deck.. The rattle persists.
Driving me nuts!
There is a lot of hardware on the bulkhead behind the seats that you may want to inspect. I feel bad for you.

Last edited by z4z4z4; 02-04-2015 at 01:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #35
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I don't think the noise is in the boot/trunk.. It's somewhere behind the speaker panel where the seatbelt reel is located.. I've had that speaker cover and speaker out and there's nothing other than the belt reel in there and that makes no noise. Going to try and take the whole interior panel off where the belt reel is to see if I can't locate the noise. Ill probably find its nowhere near that afterall!

My worry is that it's the small window mech and if that's the case it's going to the dealers!

Having said that.. That doesn't explain why the noise stops when someone is in the car?!?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #36
Gunzaro
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Speed Racer

ManiacGT -I also have this noise and have traced it to the seat belt/speaker area on the left. I do not know the cause of it either having felted and greased the roll hoop covers. I wonder if the plastics under the roll hoop covers is making the noise because when I press on it from the back (with the boot open) it makes a similar noise.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 02:57 AM   #37
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunzaro View Post
ManiacGT -I also have this noise and have traced it to the seat belt/speaker area on the left. I do not know the cause of it either having felted and greased the roll hoop covers. I wonder if the plastics under the roll hoop covers is making the noise because when I press on it from the back (with the boot open) it makes a similar noise.
Interesting.. it seems we're both working to resolve this challenge! Its a noise for me that occurs when either the car chassis twists on uneven road, or, when the rear wheel on that side hits a manhole cover etc.

This weekend (as its too dark atm to work in the evenings after work) I intend to take off all panels on that side, I've checked on RealOEM it looks fairly straight forward and I have all the tools.

If it still makes the noise then.. it must be something mechanical transmitting through the shell, roof mech in the trunk or seatbelt reel, or worse, the rear quarter window... actually, I may drive home from the office with that window retracted to see if it makes any difference.

As for your comment about the hoop covers... I took everything off the hoop, leaving only the metal tubing.. it still made the noise, so unless its plastic on the bulkhead rubbing the hoops where they attach to the chassis, its not the hoops.

I'm not the kind of person to just turn on the radio and forget about it, I find little clicks and cracks like this very annoying and I must work until they're resolved... my partner says I'm OCD with cars.

Nice to know I'm not alone in this though, whenever I hear funny noises I wonder if may car was built at 5pm on a Friday!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #38
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

This prb only occurs in cold weather it appears, so what is more susceptible to temp changes, metal or plastic? Have you guys tried the storage bin area in the middle behind the 2 seats? I'm getting this weird clicking sound also but have no idea except I know that it's behind the seats somewhere.

Btw, ManiacGT, it's not really OCD (even though my wife tells me the same thing lol). I have this 'prb' too, but really, it's just annoying whenever one hears of unwanted noises. Nothing wrong w/ trying to figure out where it comes from and resolving it.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #39
BuckarooVT90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Z4 sDrive35i DCT

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [8.00]
I heard a funny rattle from the passenger side also... turns out it was the seat belt that was flopping around and hitting up against the interior wall...

Since the interior is magnitudes quieter than my Miata or 1er... its that much easier to hear all the little rattles and noises... I hear a couple ticking noises from the dash area... almost sounds like its coming from a speaker...

the ONLY way to fix ALL these rattles is to just put the top down and depress peddle on the floor that is on the right side under your right foot...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #40
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Ok, the noise is more like a cricket. It may be the roof panel ahead of the rear window because I pressed against it firmly and the noise went away. I leave it up to you better experts to confirm this find.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 03:08 AM   #41
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckarooVT90 View Post
the ONLY way to fix ALL these rattles is to just put the top down and depress peddle on the floor that is on the right side under your right foot...
Nice idea, but I'm in the UK.. its Winter here, 4 degrees and wet. At this time of year, I prefer the roof up, windows closed, stereo off and to listen to the exhaust roar. Unfortunately this is spoiled by this rattle!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 05:57 AM   #42
Gunzaro
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Speed Racer

I get it too over even ground. It is still present with the top down for me, so that eliminates the entire roof! I also find rattles annoying. The car's plastics are well put together though and much more solid fitting than any other car I have owned. I think half the problem is the stiff RFT tires and suspension.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 06:04 AM   #43
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunzaro View Post
I get it too over even ground. It is still present with the top down for me, so that eliminates the entire roof! I also find rattles annoying. The car's plastics are well put together though and much more solid fitting than any other car I have owned. I think half the problem is the stiff RFT tires and suspension.
Agreed, the harsh ride on rough roads will find any noise! I wish I had replaced my wheels to something smaller and fitted normal tyres now. Perhaps if I keep the car for another few years I will do this. For now, if I could find this one rattle, I'll be happy (provided no more start!)...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #44
raven333
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Sapphire Black 3.0siM sport

Hi Maniac! been following your threads on this noise, I had it on my car, in fact I had a number of rattles and squeaks, I think a lot has to do with the types of plastics fitted nowadays. I diagnosed the roll hoops especially with the wind deflector fitted making a noise. Rightly or wrongly I felt there was a lot of body flex especially with our potholed roads in the UK. Being so close to everything in the rear made for lots of noise which was leading me to believe I would never get to the bottom of all the noises......I got under the car and lubricated every rubber bush etc!! I lubricated all seals in fact the car was a driving oil can, which would work for a while, but the rear windows on both sides always flexed against the roof!!!! One noise was the passenger seat belt not being right into the top holder when I was on my own, anywhere down the belt was noise!!!
Like you cannot stand the wrong noise!!!!
Mute point but before I sold my car I had a knocking noise coming from the rear end of my car, which manifested itself a lot more with two up!!! However in my case it happened when going round bends left then right knock knock, it only happened when the car was fully warmed up. On longer journeys one up it would eventually start to happen, I had it into BMW, firstly they did not believe me till we went on an extended drive...........cut a long story short it sounded like the half shaft into the diff had to much lateral movement.
Appreciate 0