New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-26-2013, 08:02 AM   #1
Malfunction
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche GTS

BMW Apps

Hello,

I'm just about to finally pull the trigger on a new 35is. I'm buying one of two available in stock (last years model).

The color I want does not have BMW apps installed, but they have a black one that does.

I'm wondering if it is worth getting my second choice color or if I can make due without BMW apps on the color I really want? Do you guys have BMW apps? Is it worth it? What would you do in this situation? Aside from the apps the cars are exactly equipped.

Also can you use the iPhone cradle on a car that is not equipped with BMW apps? Will it be the same as being plugged into the USB port?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 08:11 AM   #2
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

I would get the car based on the car not the BMW Apps interface. Its all 'ooh and ahh' for a while then it wears off. I'd rather have the whole car I like and forego the Apps.

..and yes you can use the cradle in any car (there are numerous types, charging, charging with audio and charging multimedia, speak with the dealer about which one you want).
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
SgtGigglebox
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Atacama 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfunction View Post
Hello,

I'm just about to finally pull the trigger on a new 35is. I'm buying one of two available in stock (last years model).

The color I want does not have BMW apps installed, but they have a black one that does.

I'm wondering if it is worth getting my second choice color or if I can make due without BMW apps on the color I really want? Do you guys have BMW apps? Is it worth it? What would you do in this situation? Aside from the apps the cars are exactly equipped.

Also can you use the iPhone cradle on a car that is not equipped with BMW apps? Will it be the same as being plugged into the USB port?

Thanks!
I was somewhat torn by that also. I do not have an iPhone, so it certainly looked as though the benefit would be irrelevant, but I was concerned that from a overall system standpoint, that some other peripheral functionality might be lost.

I did not get it. Not once have I regretted it. The car will still show/read text messages to you, you can still send addresses to the car via google maps (use at least once a week), you can still do google searches from the car and as ManiacGT mentioned, there are a wide variety of multimedia options (Bluetooth, usb, other cradles, etc.).

In terms of colors, I've bought cars in the past based on options, having to ultimately get a color that was my 2nd or 3rd choice. It can go both ways... colors that may feel less desirable can make you wonder why it wasn't your first choice after getting used to it and you end up loving it, or it can be a little nagging aspect of the car that you'll try to ignore for a long time.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

What happens when the new iPhone comes out and it's a different shape/size than the current version? Looks like you're on the hook for a new cradle.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfunction View Post

Thanks!
Did you look at the actual apps? Any one appealing to you?

If you don't care about Facebook, Twitter and news feeds, you can live without it. The music apps (world radio) you can still use, just use USB or wireless - and you need to control them on your phone.

If you don't have an iPhone or are thinking about switching from iPhone to something else, BMW Apps is probably useless to you.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #6
Malfunction
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche GTS

Hey guys,

Follow up. I was able to find one at another dealer that had the apps installed. Not sure if I will actually use it, but I understand that you can not add it afterwards, so I'm glad it's there.

I pick up the ride on Tuesday. I'm pumped.
Appreciate 0