New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

07-25-2016, 09:48 PM   #1
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Atacama Yellow 35i

Exhaust design

With my exhaust now on the ground, I'm miffed at its design. It's a true dual, but the passenger side is asymmetric - oddly it has a heavily triangulated (crimped) exhaust section after the mid cat going to the passenger side muffler. And the passenger side muffler is 2/3's the size of the driver muffler. There is no "X", if you will, in the design.

How is this exactly and effective design and why did BMW crimp the hell out of one exhaust bank? It's not like there isn't room for the pipe. Is there some kind of resonance issue they were trying to solve? Is it typical on dual muffler BMWs to have on muffler 2/3 the size of the other?

I am continuing to search for a reasonable set of mufflers to build on ... reasonable, in part, meaning the mufflers don't cost $900 each, which seems absurd. I have to imagine the stock system is rather restrictive, especially once the car is modified to produce more power (and more exhaust).

Filippo