New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-26-2014, 11:41 PM   #23
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

So the Zed is fixed and here's an update.

This was not a problem of our hardtop or BMW's reliability.

The problem may have been caused by me or a shop that changed the battery couple weeks back.

So here's the deal. Apparently the thick red fuse cable was shorting against the red battery terminal and almost melted the nut completely. Maybe caused by a loose nut on the positive terminal but I can't really see if I was to blame or the shop that replaced the battery. Anyway, Right beside that set of positive terminal, we have conveniently a group of very thin hydraulic hoses that run from the rear of the trunk to power our hard top. The overheating pretty much melted those hoses hence the oil leak all over the trunk and the top not functioning.

Luckily the parts were available and it was fixed within a week and the final bill was less than $1k usd. Half the price I was expecting. Anyways, lesson learned but this case had nothing to do with the reliability of our hardtops.

Now I just really want to sell it and completely enjoy my Z3-M-Roady.
      10-27-2014, 04:16 AM   #24
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
So the Zed is fixed and here's an update.

This was not a problem of our hardtop or BMW's reliability.

The problem may have been caused by me or a shop that changed the battery couple weeks back.

So here's the deal. Apparently the thick red fuse cable was shorting against the red battery terminal and almost melted the nut completely. Maybe caused by a loose nut on the positive terminal but I can't really see if I was to blame or the shop that replaced the battery. Anyway, Right beside that set of positive terminal, we have conveniently a group of very thin hydraulic hoses that run from the rear of the trunk to power our hard top. The overheating pretty much melted those hoses hence the oil leak all over the trunk and the top not functioning.

Luckily the parts were available and it was fixed within a week and the final bill was less than $1k usd. Half the price I was expecting. Anyways, lesson learned but this case had nothing to do with the reliability of our hardtops.

Now I just really want to sell it and completely enjoy my Z3-M-Roady.
Thank you for your update. Its good to know about the issue with the roof, albeit possibly not good for you. I'll be certain to check a battery installation when mine needs it!

Glad you have your car back, now enjoy again
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 08:01 AM   #25
2011CrazE89
Moved on
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z430i & 2015 MB C300

Good news!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 09:10 AM   #26
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

Thanx for that good info.
What should be a simple battery change must be completed extremely careful.
2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 10:49 PM   #27
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

While reading the 1M forum ,I came across this little information that seemed a little too familiar to my case.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls...intVersion=YES

"The connector for the positive battery cable connector and the corresponding terminal on the fuse box may degrade over time. Over time, the high current flow and heat from electrical resistance may lead to a breakage of the connection, and a loss of electrical power to the vehicle."

Don't know if this had anything to do with what happened to my car but it does have its similarities which could cause the hydraulic lines (conveniently placed right beside the positive battery cable) for the top to overheat and break.

Just a heads up on an old recall.
      09-06-2016, 12:17 PM   #28
Iwejun
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i coupe, 2009 Z4 3.0i

Keep all lose items away from any mechanisms, my wife has a $600 blanket because she put top down after workout and it stopped halfway. Late Saturday morning tow truck with roof half open to Ft. Worth Autobahn then Uber ride to pick it up all because a blanket had wedge in the mechanism. Now today I just got the long ride by Uber because top would not raise only lid would open, I'm fearing a large bill from this one. I'm not immune to this with BMW I own a 08' 335is, just need to space the costs out further.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 04:28 PM   #29
ljkiter
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4 35i manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwejun View Post
Keep all lose items away from any mechanisms, my wife has a $600 blanket because she put top down after workout and it stopped halfway. Late Saturday morning tow truck with roof half open to Ft. Worth Autobahn then Uber ride to pick it up all because a blanket had wedge in the mechanism. Now today I just got the long ride by Uber because top would not raise only lid would open, I'm fearing a large bill from this one. I'm not immune to this with BMW I own a 08' 335is, just need to space the costs out further.
Let us know. These are the times we start getting issues with the e89 but hopefully we'll figure out ways to fix em. I had my roof not open a few times. I also had a tire pump on the side while putting the roof down causing it to lock up. Luckily a restart of the car allowed me to closing the roof and removing the tire pump. Could of been bad.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 09:33 AM   #30
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
While reading the 1M forum ,I came across this little information that seemed a little too familiar to my case.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls...intVersion=YES

"The connector for the positive battery cable connector and the corresponding terminal on the fuse box may degrade over time. Over time, the high current flow and heat from electrical resistance may lead to a breakage of the connection, and a loss of electrical power to the vehicle."

Don't know if this had anything to do with what happened to my car but it does have its similarities which could cause the hydraulic lines (conveniently placed right beside the positive battery cable) for the top to overheat and break.

Just a heads up on an old recall.
No this issue was a known problem in the 1 series only. It had to do with the power cable and its attachment to the battery pack. I had my 1er done before i sold it.