New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-05-2021, 09:20 PM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

CEL check engine light (yellow) - what could it be?

Started the car today, this yellow light came on, so cancelled my original trip and just made a short errand. Symptom is as stated in the manual, the engine seemed limp and when I pressed the gas the response was slow and weak.

I will for sure get it checked but wondering if you guys experienced it and what could it be and the expected $$ damage? I recall years ago I had a more disruptive CEL where the car would not even start until I cranked it a few times, and then it would, after driving a while, suddenly die after violently shaking, requiring another restart: turned out the HPFP and fuel injectors had to be replaced. This time it's not as severe but ofc still has its own prbs.

I had my HPFP and fuel injectors replaced back in February 5, 2014 @101,674kms(63,178miles).
Attached Images

The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?

Last edited by tranquility; 08-07-2021 at 08:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 11:02 PM   #2
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

Did you run a scan for codes???
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 01:45 AM   #3
RobbiZ4
Call me "Dr. Bob"
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89 sDrive 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
...wondering if you guys experienced it and what could it be and the expected $$ damage?...
Without an error code it can't be guessed. The motor currently is running in an emergency mode with "reduced power".

Error codes can be read by every garage next to you, the correct interpretation is another story.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 11:50 AM   #4
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
Did you run a scan for codes???
Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 12:15 PM   #5
paris1
Captain
Rep

Also unfortunately, it does no good to guess at what the cause might be without knowing the code.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 07:45 PM   #6
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

various warranties on big engine items (HPFP, fuel injectors)?

Just want to go over what warranties are applicable if they turn out to be the prb part.

I think that I read somewhere that HPFP is warranted for 10 years...but is that from purchase of the car or whenever the replacement is done? Is there a mileage limit?

I don't think there's anything for fuel injectors once they're replaced but just asking also. I only remember that faulty ones were covered if you were lucky to be a US customer but us Canadians had to pay out-of-pocket.

I had my HPFP and fuel injectors replaced back in February 5, 2014 @101,674kms.

Last edited by tranquility; 08-08-2021 at 04:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 10:33 AM   #7
surfwooder
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 Z4

Garage List
2008 BMW 328IC  [0.00]
2009 Z4  [0.00]
Parts Warrantys

I think parts warranties are made by the company selling the parts, or from the part manufacture. I'm experiencing symptoms of a HPFP problem. Where are you thinking of purchasing this part? And what part number are you using?
      08-07-2021, 05:33 PM   #8
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfwooder View Post
I think parts warranties are made by the company selling the parts, or from the part manufacture. I'm experiencing symptoms of a HPFP problem. Where are you thinking of purchasing this part? And what part number are you using?
Knock on wood, I hope my prb is not that big - my appt is next week but the symptoms are slightly different so fingers crossed. Anyway, I would be going through the dealer, so whatever warranty they have in place as stated in the receipt.

I'm just going from my memory re the warranties of the HPFP and fuel injectors from before (again, all through official BMW channels).
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 07:16 PM   #9
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Perhaps I should've bought a scanner but I figured since I dunno my way around an engine/don't do DIY what is the pt for me? That my reasoning anyway. *shrug*

Drove it again today, another symptom is whenever I floor the gas pedal there's like 80% reduction in power, like I'm driving a 80hp econobox. When I start it up and I press the brake before putting it in gear, the rpms curiously jump up. I heard maybe one slight bang in the exhaust. Otherwise, the drive was 'normal' considering those symptoms. I will definitely use city roads going to the dealer and not take the highway to be safer.

Researched online, guess it could be any of the following:
.fuel pump
.fuel injector
.fuel filter
.other filter/sensor?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 07:33 PM   #10
paris1
Captain
Rep

The engine is in "limp-home-mode", probably due to a misfire. What you're describing is anything but "normal" and I would have it towed to the dealer if possible, depending on how far away he is and/or whether or not you have tow insurance (AAA or something like it). BTW, because it's a 2011 and you don't know (I presume) if the HPFP and injectors have been replaced, my bet would be that's the problem. BMW remedied this in MY2012.
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2021, 08:23 PM   #11
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The engine is in "limp-home-mode", probably due to a misfire. What you're describing is anything but "normal" and I would have it towed to the dealer if possible, depending on how far away he is and/or whether or not you have tow insurance (AAA or something like it). BTW, because it's a 2011 and you don't know (I presume) if the HPFP and injectors have been replaced, my bet would be that's the problem. BMW remedied this in MY2012.
Tx, yes, definitely not normal, I put it in '' as there were no other symptoms besides those.

I thought I put the relevant info but turns out only wrote to the dealer so here goes: I had my HPFP and fuel injectors replaced back in February 5, 2014 @101,674kms(63,178miles). The symptoms are slightly different as w the HPFP/fuel injectors episode, the car had prbs starting and it would violently shake and die and I'd have to restart it, or if I'm driving and come to a standstill, it would do that. This time, it's just limp-mode/weakened throttle, so I'm really hoping it's not that serious; if they did fix the HPFP/fuel injections prb permanently, I assume it shouldn't happen again?

I'm 33kms/20 miles away, so I'll just drive there via city roads. Worst case if my car dies I'd just call BMW Assist.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 08:48 PM   #12
paris1
Captain
Rep

Hmmm..that's what happens when you run two simultaneous threads about the same topic.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 09:24 PM   #13
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm..that's what happens when you run two simultaneous threads about the same topic.
Good pt, although that info was in neither haha. I'll ask a mod to combine the 2.
Appreciate 0