New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-10-2010, 05:38 AM   #1
dcs2k
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

audio upgrade on the E89

found some photos I took while doing a audio upgrade upon getting the car a year ago.

many will not like the unsightly location of the speakers. Trust me, I didnt know wanting a 3 way conponent speakers meant this!

pros

sounds really good. soundstage perfect only when top is up. puts up a brillant performance no matter when genre music you throw at it.

cons

fugly
expense of boot space

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 09:13 AM   #2
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

I remember your build.

Both of those units in your trunk look like amps. Is the vertical one a sub, but if not where is your sub located?

Do you have behind-the-seat speakers?

Please give us a better photo of the head unit fit, and of your equipment behind the seats.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 10:14 AM   #3
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive30i

Nice setup!

Can you tell us something about the equipment you used.

EdP
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 10:41 AM   #4
dcs2k
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

will need to dig thru my receipts to come out with the exact models of the system im using but as far as I can remember
Pioneer Headunit
DLS 3 way component speakers
10 inch sub with customised box
2 DLS amp 1 to drive the speakers and 1 for the sub
pre amp/ equaliser
signal processor

teagueAMX there is two amps, if you look at picture 6, the sub box contains the sub shooting into the cabin, while the back of the box will hold the 1st vertical amp, and another bigger 1 horizontally.

no behind seat speakers as it will affect the soundstaging. the behind seat equipment are in photo 10, while they were doing the bulid, and had been covered up like in photo 9to maintain the stock look. Will take a couple more photos tomorrow!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 06:00 AM   #5
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive30i

Why did they use a signal processor? Is this because the sound quality of your head unit is already very good and has also a LPF for your sub woofer.

EdP
Appreciate 0