New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-14-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
World Famous Racetrack Times, find your Z4

Here you find track times as documented by Autozeitung Germany of fast cars (or shall I say bad drivers in fast cars ☺) all except the original Steg from TopGear of course. Scroll down you find tracks like

The Hockenheimring Baden-Württemberg

Nuremberg, Germany Nordschleife

And then some Pages and Pages of them 12 Pages in all …. Just scroll down, change the page or use the “Find” function to find your favourite car or even the odd Z3 or Z4 (First page has 38 Z listed)

Have you driven the Nordschleife? I plan to do it next time I pick up a car in Germany (I know I will be a lot slower then the fine cars listed at this site, mainly for I like to ship my car home without a scratch touch wood).

Enjoy the site CLICK

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 11:39 PM   #2
KrisNL
Hero of the Day
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Very old topic, not a single e89 listed. Couldn't find any s35i or s35is lap times
      12-15-2010, 10:49 AM   #3
cdeslandes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Garage List
Check this one instead:

http://www.fastestlaps.com/car_BMW_Z4_sDrive35i.html
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 01:24 PM   #4
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeslandes View Post
cdeslandes, Much better thanks

PS. Sorry Kris, looks like I picked up a old one

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 02:53 PM   #5
KrisNL
Hero of the Day
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

No lap times yet on the Nurburgring....
      12-16-2010, 03:35 PM   #6
cdeslandes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisNL View Post
No lap times yet on the Nurburgring....
We're all waiting for you to go and post some sub-8 minute times!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 09:28 PM   #7
Wraith.
Captain
Rep
Drives: ED '11 Z4 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeslandes View Post
We're all waiting for you to go and post some sub-8 minute times!
Something tells me that BMW doesn't want that to happen.. I'd really like to see the new 1M and Z4iS square off.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 10:31 PM   #8
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith. View Post
Something tells me that BMW doesn't want that to happen.. I'd really like to see the new 1M and Z4iS square off.
Don't get me wrong I'm not a fan of the 1M in any respect except the drivertrain. Don't like it as a package, at all. My sense is if you're thinking about a 1M vs Z4is heads up contest, the Z would hold it own pretty good in cornering, power, certainly more comfortable and a much more beautiful package - but, the 1M chassis features, such as spring rates, stabilizer bars, brakes, hydraulic power steering, etc., will be a tighter right out of the box. Again, I think this is by design and a plus for the Z4is. Certainly doing a few track orientated chassis tweaks to the Z would put it light years ahead of the 1M.

Last edited by teagueAMX; 12-17-2010 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 01:09 AM   #9
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

1M would be faster no doubt about it. Apples to oranges.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 10:25 AM   #10
Wraith.
Captain
Rep

.. and yet no Ring time for the most sport focused E89 they have produced? It's been out for a year now and everything else under the sun seems to have been run. It seems like an obvious omission. Are they concerned that it will reveal itself as more of a boulevard cruiser than sports car? Of course as an owner I'd like to believe that the times between 1m and "iS" would be too close for comfort, particularly for the M division. Though I do concede that the suspension would be a killer. However, given the general aesthetic of the 1M.. it may be a few ticks faster round the track but the Z would look a hell of a lot better doing it.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 11:26 AM   #11
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith. View Post
.. and yet no Ring time for the most sport focused E89 they have produced? It's been out for a year now and everything else under the sun seems to have been run. It seems like an obvious omission. Are they concerned that it will reveal itself as more of a boulevard cruiser than sports car? Of course as an owner I'd like to believe that the times between 1m and "iS" would be too close for comfort, particularly for the M division. Though I do concede that the suspension would be a killer. However, given the general aesthetic of the 1M.. it may be a few ticks faster round the track but the Z would look a hell of a lot better doing it.
My only comment here would be "We treat our Z like a Lady"

You have any idea how many crashes and fatalities the Nordschleife has seen?

(Reminds me to check this out on Google)

PS .... I love Google was not that difficult

Main article: List of Nürburgring fatal accidents
While it is unusual for deaths to occur during sanctioned races, there are many accidents and several deaths each year during public sessions. It is common for the track to be closed several times a day for cleanup, repair, and medical intervention. While track management does not publish any official figures, several regular visitors to the track have used police reports to estimate the number of fatalities at somewhere between 3 and 12 in a full year.

Anyway, my next car will be a ED and I will drive the Nordschleife, only I will drive it very carefully it will not be to race only to say yes I saw it and I drove it

I suspect someone will do it next year before he trades his Z in for a new one, as I said I strongly suspect we all treat ours like a Lady.

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 12-17-2010 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: ADDED THE PS
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 01:06 PM   #12
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Wraith

Just a follow up for you, I am not exactly sure what they meant by a Z4 M here, perhaps Z4 with M Options, anyway gives you some idea as to time around the Top Gear Track

Top Gear shows Track time for a Z4 M as 1:26:00 around there track (you can compare it to others at the clips below. What I like about this it is slightly ahead of the Porsche and the M5

Top Gear The Track

Top Gear Track and times showing a Z4 M also

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #13
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

@ Wraith - It is frustrating given the Z’s potential. For a couple of years now been following the e86 Z do La Mans and other and it always seemed to barely keep up. Not so with the latest Z with the v8 –it was kicking some serious butt in one of the latest races I watched, and that was very refreshing.

I think in the question of the 1M or M3 vs Z4 BMW faces the same dilemma as Porsche’s 911. Clearly, the Cayman chassis mid-engine design is a superior layout and by all accounts the easiest car to drive fast. It’s not that long ago that Porsche’s other models outpaced 911 sales. The 911 sales came back but they continue to refer to the Cayman as a middle entry platform from a sales perspective. If they really want it to sell why don’t drop the 540 hp tt in it: 911 fans around the world fall into such a deep depression they’d never recover because the Cayman’s times would kill the 911.

@ Rolf-Dieter - I totally agree. I think most e89 Z4 appreciate it for beautiful design and poise. The 'Tube has many Nürburgring videos, and it makes me a little crazy sometimes watching very skilled drivers pass people who are clearly novices. It's one thing for a race like the 24 hr Le Mans or the 'ring with mixed classes and professional drivers. But the 'ring allows a novice with a weekend driver 911 TT get out there and mix it up with Aston Martin driving a ‘ring record attempt. Seems a little crazy.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 12-17-2010 at 07:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 01:32 PM   #14
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

OT>
It's ironic that the car which made Porsche what it is today is seriously holding it back from full potential. It's time to kill the 911 and max out the Cayman!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 02:03 PM   #15
Wraith.
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
OT>
It's ironic that the car which made Porsche what it is today is seriously holding it back from full potential. It's time to kill the 911 and max out the Cayman!
Agreed, if the Cayman was a hardtop 'vert I would have went there. But i'm sure that would screw up the balance and defeat the purpose.
Appreciate 0