New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

01-12-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 s30i

Garage List
iPhone 3Gs CHARGING with Y cable

Ok I have read lots of stuff on this site but not able to find something specific on the iPod / iPhone integration options....

It appears that the 2009 and 2010 Z4 with the iPod integration and Y cable WILL charge the ORIGINAL iPhone but NOT the 3G version.

Can anyone confirm this ? I have the iPod integration and the Y cable and a 3G phone and when I connect it everything works but it comes up with an INCOMPATABILITY message and WILL NOT charge the iPhone.

I understand that Apple changed the power connection on the 3G phone.....

So... if this is true.....

1 - does anyone have this working ? If so how ?
2 - has anyone tried to modify the Y cable to shift power pins ?
3 - has anyone tried any other options ?

Also....

Does anyone know if the Smartphone Integration that allows the cradle to be used can be added by the DEALER ?????

This whole thing is a real mess because the DEALER REPS and others at BMW HAVE NO IDEA HOW ALL THIS WORKS AND COMMUNICATE INCORRECT INFORMATION !!!!!! I am really fed up with their lack of knowledege and incorrect statements on the web sites. They specifically state the sdome iPod models will not work but the just say iPhone's work and nothing at all about the various models. FRUSTRATING !!!!!

M3 GTR - 1/5 scale - 4.2 HP w/ Collari hydraulic brakes - would you believe ~80 MPH on straightaway !!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
blackonblack
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 3.5

Power Cable

You are correct that the older cord doesn't work on the 3G. You can go to your local dealer and purchase the new updated cord for about $40 and it will work correctly.

I don't think it's worth damaging the phone by modifying the existing cord. You could eBay it easily.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
blackonblack
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 3.5

Power Cable II

And the Smartphone Adapter can be added by the dealer but we don't do it very often because of the nature of changing devices and technology.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep

Garage List
blackonblack,

thx for the info. I am guessing that the dealer down here will install it if it really can be installed cause if he doesn't he will likely get the car BACK !!

It was purchased specifically after asking the question about the iPhone 3Gs and I paid for the iPod adapter (6fl ?) package; the Smartphone integration and the cradle when I bought the car. Unfortunately the Smartphone integrastion is not yet in the car !!!

M3 GTR - 1/5 scale - 4.2 HP w/ Collari hydraulic brakes - would you believe ~80 MPH on straightaway !!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 06:29 PM   #5
mav5125
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 35i

I'm going to buy the connector for the 3GS here in sydney at the end of January. The dealer said that only then will the new connector for the 3GS be available.

That will allow charging and also the music on the 3GS will be able to be accessed via the iDrive.

So when i get it at the end of this month i'll post the results and some pics.

mav.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 07:28 PM   #6
Chuck76
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 3.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
And the Smartphone Adapter can be added by the dealer but we don't do it very often because of the nature of changing devices and technology.
Just to be clear, you are stating that the smartphone integration can be installed if the car did not have that option when received?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 08:06 PM   #7
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep

Garage List
That's what he said !! If not I may have a car GOING BACK !!!

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #8
Oh Captain My Captain
With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Porsche Cayenne S

A simple charge converter may solve your problem. For the 2010 E class, I purchased the Griffin converter as the standard cable that came with the car only charged older generation iPods and iPhones (Firewire based). The newer generation models charge via USB.

Benz sold a cable to charge the newer models for $60. This converter cost me less than $19 off of Amazon with free shipping and works fine.

http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Charge...3349989&sr=8-1
      01-13-2010, 10:30 AM   #9
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The trouble with a device like that is that there is only 1 connector on the iPhone so with your recommendation it seems I could only charge OR listen to the iPhone's music library....... Not acceptable for my intended use.

Thx anyway...

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 12:59 PM   #10
Oh Captain My Captain
With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Porsche Cayenne S

Quote:
Originally Posted by msimon18 View Post
The trouble with a device like that is that there is only 1 connector on the iPhone so with your recommendation it seems I could only charge OR listen to the iPhone's music library....... Not acceptable for my intended use.

Thx anyway...
Maybe I'm missing something and I apologize if I am. The one end of the cable plugs into your phone and the other connects to a USB port and/or Aux port, correct?

The newer generation iPods/iPhones charge via USB (5V) as opposed to Firewire (12V). The cable that BMW provides is probably Firewire supported just like in my Benz. The Griffin converter I bought still allows for playback while also charging the iPod. I've had no issues.
      01-13-2010, 05:38 PM   #11
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Captain,

Apologies on my part..... When I checked the Amazon site it appears the device will work.....

My real issue is that the dealer FORGOT to order the SmartPhone Integration option and when they tried to install the iPhone cradle they found out WHOOPS !!! Now I am not sure what they are going to do.........

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 04:29 AM   #12
HK bimmer
Private
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by msimon18 View Post
Captain,

Apologies on my part..... When I checked the Amazon site it appears the device will work.....

My real issue is that the dealer FORGOT to order the SmartPhone Integration option and when they tried to install the iPhone cradle they found out WHOOPS !!! Now I am not sure what they are going to do.........
I think I have exactly the same issue.
I have ordered nearly all options, including the smartphone ready, bluetooth ready..., everything, yet I cannot gain access and control my iPhone Library with the iDrive.
I used to charge my iPhone with the original cradle, which is very neat and tidy. (Of course, the blue tooth phone function works with or without such cradle.)
When I read the brochure and options list again, I noticed an option called "Extended connection for music player", which I have not bought.
I asked BMW in Hong Kong, they seems to know nothing about this, just asking me to buy a Y-cable.
I do want to have my iPhone neatly fitted into its cradle and I can use the iDrive to control its music. I think the original design should be able to do so.
Appreciate 0