New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

09-11-2014, 07:45 AM   #1
Dejablue
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 SDrive 35is

The Hunt for Z4

As a long time BMW owner (1995 3 Series convertible) I thought after I sold my 'vert last summer, I would be ok without my much loved car in the garage going forward.
That seems to have been incorrect, as I am now searching for a roadster to fill that space.
I have never considered the Z4 before. The 1st Gen didn't do it for me, even though early on in my search I did consider it.
That was until I saw the 2nd Gen Z4, and now that decision is made.
Wonderful retractable hard top looks as good up or down, and that is rare my friends!

Because I will not buy a convertible in the summer, that has allowed me to explore the few used offerings that I can personally view and drive in my area.
I realize that this is a national search and I will probably need to do as much "homework" as I can in person because I will likely have to buy this car without actually driving/seeing it.

So, the first thing to do was drive both engines offered in 2009-2010, which I did.
The model I drove with the 35i had the 6 speed manual trans which was awesome.
The 30i had the basic 6 speed auto which was not very exciting, but still gave me the opportunity to explore the car further..

I felt I had to check out the iDrive system so that was a special trip.
Didn't drive the car (a 2011, and out of the price range, although I do see a glut of 2011s which are probably lease returns, on the market currently that are reasonably close to the 09-10s in price) but I did decide that it's iDrive or bust for me…being a sort of techie, I won't buy this car without it.

Here is the Master Wish List:
iDrive
35i
6 speed MT
Cold Weather
Under 40,000 miles
I like most of the colors…except probably white…but buying used means compromising.
I do not like the red interior, with the possible exception with white exterior…but, see above.
I think the 30i would probably suffice if other packages were there, and not a deal breaker for me.

It would be nice to have:
Sport Seats
DCT if the MT proves to be too rare…and it seems it might be.
Premium sound
$23-$27K

It would be great if there were owners here who might take the time to educate me on these points, and how your choices worked out as you shopped for your Z4.
Did you buy your used car sight unseen?
What sort of options were on your wish list and how did it ultimately work out for you...did you compromise at all?

Thanks for the time.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 10:38 AM   #2
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

You really should try a car with the DCT (different than the 6 speed auto) before limiting yourself to a 6 speed manual. Even if for no other reason to say you tried it.

Its addictive.

Took me ~2 months to find mine - and bought it up in Pittsburgh and drove it back. I was lucky and had my niece in school up there to test drive it - but it was at a dealer and had a factory warranty regardless. It will be a national search regardless of options due to the overall rarity, and harder with the 6 speed. Make sure you are aware of the issues with pre-2012 cars (specifically HPFP). That was enough to bump me to a 2012 (and the extra warranty).

Don't be afraid to ask out here is you need someone to go look at a car, it's the best thing about the forums

Enjoy the ride....

Last edited by Lurcher; 09-11-2014 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 11:52 AM   #3
Dejablue
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurcher View Post
You really should try a car with the DCT (different than the 6 speed auto) before limiting yourself to a 6 speed manual. Even if for no other reason to say you tried it.

Its addictive.

Took me ~2 months to find mine - and bought it up in Pittsburgh and drove it back. I was lucky and had my niece in school up there to test drive it - but it was at a dealer and had a factory warranty regardless. It will be a national search regardless of options due to the overall rarity, and harder with the 6 speed. Make sure you are aware of the issues with pre-2012 cars (specifically HPFP). That was enough to bump me to a 2012 (and the extra warranty).

Don't be afraid to ask out here is you need someone to go look at a car, it's the best thing about the forums

Enjoy the ride....
Thanks for the response Lurcher.
This is exactly the kind of info I am seeking, and I never thought about asking someone from the forum who lives close by a dealer who has a car I'd like to know more about, to go and be my agent, so to speak.
That is an excellent idea, and probably better than what I was considering which would be to look for a mechanic close by to inspect it.
Having someone truly familiar with the model has a lot of benefit I think.

I am aware of the fuel pump thing, and so I will have to be careful that I ask if it has been addressed previously. Is it only an issue with the 35i motor? I don't think a 2012 will fall into my price range, so I am primarily looking at 09-11.
What were the elements of your 2 month search that were important to you?
Also, I am hoping to drive the DCT, I just haven't found one close enough yet.

Last edited by Dejablue; 09-11-2014 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: more content
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 12:33 PM   #4
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Yes the HPFP is only an issue with the FI engine. There were several attempts by BMW to replace the pump with new ones, and they finally got it right after about 3 or 4 tries. I believe the current part number is 13517616170. If you can get service records and match the part numbers, you're good to go.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 12:51 PM   #5
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z435is

I feel unqualified to properly answer this as I ordered mine new vs. buying used, but FWIW Extended Leather was one of the must-haves for me (and would have been had I bought used). I didn't have it in my first E85 but once I had it in my second I couldn't go back. Takes a very nice interior and makes it that much better.

One of the (many) reasons I ended up ordering, very few dealers have Extended Leather models sitting on lots, its just not a box they tend to tick off when they order the cars to be built.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 01:42 PM   #6
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

I thought they fixed the HPFP issue in the later models. Not sure if it was 11 or 12. I could be wrong but do investigate that.
      09-11-2014, 01:45 PM   #7
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 2018 TTRS

You will find it difficult to find a Non DCT Z4. I was against it when I was looking after having a 6MT M3 and 135i but I really like it now. Go with the 35i.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 02:57 PM   #8
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by rking117 View Post
I thought they fixed the HPFP issue in the later models. Not sure if it was 11 or 12. I could be wrong but do investigate that.
Issues still pop up. My '12 had the HPFP and injectors replaced and I believe others on this forum have as well.

OP, I personally think premium sound isn't a must have. I have it and it isn't that great (maybe the base stereo is horrible? I haven't heard it)

For the iDrive, you should make sure the "BMW Apps" option is available otherwise you are missing out on a lot of functionality. Sorry I'm not sure which option codes to check on for that.

Your price seems a bit optimistic, but I could be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 03:28 PM   #9
Dejablue
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Yes the HPFP is only an issue with the FI engine. There were several attempts by BMW to replace the pump with new ones, and they finally got it right after about 3 or 4 tries. I believe the current part number is 13517616170. If you can get service records and match the part numbers, you're good to go.
Good advice.
I'm hoping that there will be service records, and when I consider it, I believe the majority of owners did not spend the kind of cash for a car which they are not going to have records of.
We'll see!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 03:30 PM   #10
Dejablue
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbetoni View Post
I feel unqualified to properly answer this as I ordered mine new vs. buying used, but FWIW Extended Leather was one of the must-haves for me (and would have been had I bought used). I didn't have it in my first E85 but once I had it in my second I couldn't go back. Takes a very nice interior and makes it that much better.

One of the (many) reasons I ended up ordering, very few dealers have Extended Leather models sitting on lots, its just not a box they tend to tick off when they order the cars to be built.
Certainly not.
I'm happy to hear from someone who built their Z4.
What is it that you feel strongly about relative to the Extended Leather being a must have?
It's true tho, I haven't seen many ads where that is mentioned all that much.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 03:31 PM   #11
Dejablue
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rking117 View Post
I sure will.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 03:36 PM   #12
Dejablue
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambobimmer View Post
You will find it difficult to find a Non DCT Z4. I was against it when I was looking after having a 6MT M3 and 135i but I really like it now. Go with the 35i.
I would really like to know how you came about liking the DCT vs the 6MT.
I think you may be right about the availability of the DCT, but I do see a lot of 6sp autos out there too.
I really have to find one close enough to test it out.
Someone here wrote about driving the Dragon with the DCT and how using the paddles was so awesome because your hands never have to leave the wheel as you up and downshift through the curves.
That is pretty cool.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 03:54 PM   #13
Dejablue
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Issues still pop up. My '12 had the HPFP and injectors replaced and I believe others on this forum have as well.

OP, I personally think premium sound isn't a must have. I have it and it isn't that great (maybe the base stereo is horrible? I haven't heard it)

For the iDrive, you should make sure the "BMW Apps" option is available otherwise you are missing out on a lot of functionality. Sorry I'm not sure which option codes to check on for that.

Your price seems a bit optimistic, but I could be wrong.

Ha!
I am an optimistic guy!
The range is not written in stone, but I have seen lately some prices moving down into that range. Even a couple of very well appointed ones under $25k.
Of course one of the trade-offs will be mileage when the prices are lower...and I have seen some with what I would consider too much (75k) mileage for a nice 35i with Nav, and sport seats, cold weather and DCT...for $26k.

I'm not sure what you mean by BMW Apps.
Is that an option for the iDrive system or part of the software updates?

Oh, and as far as the Premium stereo goes, I really like the big speakers behind the seats thing!
But seriously, I have no real issue with the stereo. My previous 3 series vert had the worst radio reception I have ever experienced. The speakers sucked with the top down. I will probably solve it the same way as I did with the 3, buy an aftermarket rig, and let it rip!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 05:14 PM   #14
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

BMW apps allows you to use the bmw app to do things like do a google search and send a location to your car's navigation, control select third party apps like pandora via the idrive

My understanding is that it is available from 2009 on for Z4, but the option needs to be selected separately from navigation in the older cars

Last edited by nicknaz; 09-11-2014 at 05:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 05:22 PM   #15
Dejablue
Private
Rep

Quote:
BMW apps allows you to use the bmw app to do things like do a google search and send a location to your car's navigation, control select third party apps like pandora via the idrive

My understanding is that it is available from 2009 on for Z4, but the option needs to be selected separately from navigation in the older cars
Damn.
That sounds great.
Do you know what package identifys that capability?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 05:46 PM   #16
Dejablue
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for complicating my search Sir!

http://youtu.be/CtpNRqyCvB0

This is awesome...available in 2009-10s?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 09:23 PM   #17
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
Damn.
That sounds great.
Do you know what package identifys that capability?
I'm not sure (my E89 doesn't have iDrive, but my F30 has gotten me hooked on this BMW Apps technology)

I THINK that you need to find a car with these:
  • 639 BMW Assist
  • 6NF Smartphone Integration
  • 639 BMW Assist

Hopefully someone with this feature in their E89 will chime in on what they had on their order sheet.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 10:30 AM   #18
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

I'm betting most of us have a local shop we would recommend for an inspection if you want to do that - and I have no issues with test driving someone else's car :-D

My priorities (must haves) were DCT, 35i, sport seats, cold weahter package, not base stereo, Idrive, 2012+, less that 20K and price. I was really open to the color, wanting white or yellow to begin with, and absolutely no brown/black inside/outside.

When it came down to 2 cars, it was a sliver sport (4 miles away) or a red non-sport (bumpers) up in Pittsburgh (1100 miles). I'm not a sliver fan, so that was really a deciding factor (as well as the deal I was getting).

I also originally wanted the 19" rims, but my butt is happy with the 18s. My wife hated the RFT bad enough on the trip back from Pitt that 1/2 way home she said get rid of them. Got a nail in the rear 4 days later and they were off with only 11K miles on them. Best upgrade yet.

I'm hoping I can eventually find the extended leather to add, as it is a nice touch, but very rare. Sport bumper covers can be added, but the understated look of the non-sport I like - call it a sleeper look...

Unlike my old e38 - there is really not a ton of (factory) options to change - nor a ton of inventory, so make sure get what you want (or close) from the start.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 11:38 AM   #19
Dejablue
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurcher View Post
I'm betting most of us have a local shop we would recommend for an inspection if you want to do that - and I have no issues with test driving someone else's car :-D

My priorities (must haves) were DCT, 35i, sport seats, cold weahter package, not base stereo, Idrive, 2012+, less that 20K and price. I was really open to the color, wanting white or yellow to begin with, and absolutely no brown/black inside/outside.

When it came down to 2 cars, it was a sliver sport (4 miles away) or a red non-sport (bumpers) up in Pittsburgh (1100 miles). I'm not a sliver fan, so that was really a deciding factor (as well as the deal I was getting).

I also originally wanted the 19" rims, but my butt is happy with the 18s. My wife hated the RFT bad enough on the trip back from Pitt that 1/2 way home she said get rid of them. Got a nail in the rear 4 days later and they were off with only 11K miles on them. Best upgrade yet.

I'm hoping I can eventually find the extended leather to add, as it is a nice touch, but very rare. Sport bumper covers can be added, but the understated look of the non-sport I like - call it a sleeper look...

Unlike my old e38 - there is really not a ton of (factory) options to change - nor a ton of inventory, so make sure get what you want (or close) from the start.
When the time comes for me to go from research to purchase, I will definitely be considering the idea to get someone to check out a prospective car for me.
I imagine that lots of enthusiasts would have fun checking out my car!
I'm interested in the Run Flats and why they are such and issue. It actually took a while for me to realize that this car has no spare tire!
I drove a 35i that had RFT but didn't notice anything weird...although my mind was concentrating on other stuff.
I really wish there was a reasonable way to upgrade to iDrive, because so many great deals have many other options I want, but lack the iDrive which is a deal breaker for me...but clearly I am not even going to consider it, even if it is possible.
Frankly, I find it odd that so many original buyers ordered this car without the iDrive system...but to each his own!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 12:51 PM   #20
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Dejablue, I've had both 19" and 18" RFT on my car and the 19s were much worse (no compliance). I would have been ok living with 18" RFT but not the 19"

For what it is worth, my wife's F30 335 has the tech package with HUD, apps and navi and I don't miss it all that much when I get into my non iDrive Z4 because of the ability to connect iphone through USB. (phone can do navi and internet audio streaming through car speakers)

Might make your search easier to relax the idrive and 6MT constraint (but hold the sport or m sport package and 35i/is constraints!)
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 01:12 PM   #21
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z435is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
Certainly not.
I'm happy to hear from someone who built their Z4.
What is it that you feel strongly about relative to the Extended Leather being a must have?
It's true tho, I haven't seen many ads where that is mentioned all that much.
Extended covers the whole door (except the pocket at the bottom), the upper dash, and a few bits and pieces like visors, etc, leaving very little plastic/vinyl/whatever in the interior. Remaining plastic is the steering column, instrument cluster, vents, center tunnel (lower), radio controls, A pillars and the upper portion of the cabin rear containing the cubby and rear speakers. It's the way I feel the car's interior should be for the price.

As far as BMW Apps enabled from someone who ordered, all that needed to be ticked off when ordering was the "Technology Package". That comes with iDrive and BMW apps enabled. FWIW I hardly any use any of the Apps, but that's just me.

Finally, opinions are like you-know-what around here, but if you're curious here and here are a couple threads that discuss (among other things) RFTs and the DCT.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 08:52 PM   #22
Dejablue
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbetoni View Post
Extended covers the whole door (except the pocket at the bottom), the upper dash, and a few bits and pieces like visors, etc, leaving very little plastic/vinyl/whatever in the interior. Remaining plastic is the steering column, instrument cluster, vents, center tunnel (lower), radio controls, A pillars and the upper portion of the cabin rear containing the cubby and rear speakers. It's the way I feel the car's interior should be for the price.

As far as BMW Apps enabled from someone who ordered, all that needed to be ticked off when ordering was the "Technology Package". That comes with iDrive and BMW apps enabled. FWIW I hardly any use any of the Apps, but that's just me.

Finally, opinions are like you-know-what around here, but if you're curious here and here are a couple threads that discuss (among other things) RFTs and the DCT.

Thanks again for the 411.
I read both of the links you posted and it has really heightened my interest in the DCT.
The posters really seemed excited about this new option in the manual/automatic transmission war.
Appreciate 0