New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

01-23-2018, 03:11 PM   #1
Vetracr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW Z4 3.0

Tire diameter

How much difference in front to rear tire diameter can be tolerated before the ABS, DTC and all the other BMW nannie controls are effected? With larger rear than front tires, the tire diameters can be quite different. What front to rear tire diameters are you guys/gals running?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 04:02 PM   #2
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

If memory serves me, anything more than a 3mm differential will effect the electronic nannies. I discovered this when I put a fresh set of rear tires on my car when the fronts were half worn out (figuring that with a 2 to 1 rear to front wear ratio the new rears would be worn out just about the time the old fronts were gone). After putting them on, I noticed the DTC would kick in with very little prompting on long sweeping freeway on ramps. I checked with the dealer and after some research, the service manager produced a document that called out the 3mm limit. Knowing that, I continued driving the car and pretty soon the rear wear started to catch up to the front and the DTC problem went away.
Appreciate 0