New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-04-2008, 12:48 AM   #67
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmasmp View Post
Uhg. Here's hoping more pics will come soon. Looks like they added some e90 sedan ugliness to the front of the Z4. The Z4 wasn't ever perfect looking in the front, but that wasn't the fix I was hoping for. Hope the M version adds some N/A manliness, an aggressive front, and ditches the electronic e-brake.
Totally agree with this assessment. I thought this car was supposed to be different looking than the rest of the lineup? I do not dig the 3 series styling for the front bumper. And the wheels... WTF were thy thinking? I'd get rid of those wheels in a heartbeat.

I'm feeling really comfortable with my decision not to wait for the new Z4. I'm really hoping more pics surface soon to change my mind, but for now I say FAIL.
      12-04-2008, 02:03 AM   #68
izzy
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

Now who is the silly billy who removed the photo?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 02:04 AM   #69
izzy
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

Here is the photo:
http://www.worldcarfans.com/9081203....-of-dealership
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 02:20 AM   #70
Shakal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
I think that this is the Sport Model and not the base model. The side marker looks like 35 to me. The base will not have as large of rims and the grill will be different (as per spy shots). Those rims are the same as the one's on the car in Germany they have been showing and usually they do not show the base model.... I could be wrong but I do not envision the base model as having rims that large or xenons and the base cars in the previous spy shots all had smaller wheels. But for all we know this could be a one off or something.... for the movie (they did it before!)
This one is defenetly sDrive35i, because it has titanium kidneys, while others will have black kidneys. Those rims are "multispoke," they are 18" and will be available as an additional equipment. Base wheels for 35i are 17" (turbine styling).
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 04:06 AM   #71
BigT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: I12 i8 Coupe / I01 i3 120Ah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1POINT9 View Post
LOVE IT!!

Classic roadster looks FTW.. This definately looks more like what the follow up to the Z3 should have been. Way to go BMW..

For those who love the Z4, but do not like this.. welcome to the shock we Z3 owners had to endure in 2003..

If this is any indication of what the Z2 will look like.. I am first in line!

Agree!

It is a successful homage to the Z3 with the muscular shape of the current Z4.

Couldnt be done better (as far I can see) in my view!!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 05:30 AM   #72
Rubber Ducky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Enough of the 'how-it-looks' blather. The mechanicals will tell whether this is success or failure.

If it has (as projected) non-M-DCT, N54 mill, magnetic shocks, and a quasi-locking electronic rear end ... and if it can keep the weight down under - say - 3400 or 3500 ... this will be a clear advance on the existing Z4 and Z4-M, just as the existing Z4 moved way ahead of the Z3, the latter built with E-30 suspension.

The folding hard-roof is a major plus. Coupe or roadster? This gives both, just as the E93 is a slick convertible and a very nice coupe. Added weight? Maybe a bit, but probably nowhere near the 300# plus-up in the E93 and many weight-saving opportunities in the rest of the car.

And the N54 is so strong and has so much torque that whatever additional weight comes from the tin roof will be negligible and unnoticeable in real-life driving. Add Dinan Stage II firmware to the powerplant and tires/suspension will be the limiting factors on speediness, not weight. Face it: the new M3 should be a real pig at its weight, especially in E93 configuration. Drive one, though, and see that it really flies and handles like a real M - everything else just blows weight away as a factor.

The E89 gives BMW two huge opportunities: to get a 'real' sports car on the road (like a Cayman or a Boxster, not like a Miata or ... wait for it ... a Z3); and to put a Z8-like exotic into the price range of many more buyers. This is starting to look like a home run.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 09:48 AM   #73
xyvyx
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW //MPOWER View Post
Its a hardtop, your being confused by the black (non-body colour) frame around the windshield (as shown in all spy pics thus far) contrasting against the body coloured roof panel.
I'm sure you're right... we all know it'll have a hardtop w/ a soft top option. It was more the matte finish of what little you can see behind the guy in the blue shirt that caught my attention.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 01:47 PM   #74
gnx
Όλα ρόδες
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Ducky View Post
Enough of the 'how-it-looks' blather. The mechanicals will tell whether this is success or failure.

If it has (as projected) non-M-DCT, N54 mill, magnetic shocks, and a quasi-locking electronic rear end ... and if it can keep the weight down under - say - 3400 or 3500 ... this will be a clear advance on the existing Z4 and Z4-M, just as the existing Z4 moved way ahead of the Z3, the latter built with E-30 suspension.

The folding hard-roof is a major plus. Coupe or roadster? This gives both, just as the E93 is a slick convertible and a very nice coupe. Added weight? Maybe a bit, but probably nowhere near the 300# plus-up in the E93 and many weight-saving opportunities in the rest of the car.

And the N54 is so strong and has so much torque that whatever additional weight comes from the tin roof will be negligible and unnoticeable in real-life driving. Add Dinan Stage II firmware to the powerplant and tires/suspension will be the limiting factors on speediness, not weight. Face it: the new M3 should be a real pig at its weight, especially in E93 configuration. Drive one, though, and see that it really flies and handles like a real M - everything else just blows weight away as a factor.

The E89 gives BMW two huge opportunities: to get a 'real' sports car on the road (like a Cayman or a Boxster, not like a Miata or ... wait for it ... a Z3); and to put a Z8-like exotic into the price range of many more buyers. This is starting to look like a home run.
Well said!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 02:58 PM   #75
kinan_sleiman2006
Lieutenant
Syria
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Smile it is a version of bmw"s cars in 2009

the front look like the new 7 series> it is really a nice car... ready to kick benz slk again
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 04:35 PM   #76
Shakal
Second Lieutenant
Rep

http://www.bmwblog.com/2008/12/04/an...he2009-bmw-z4/
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 06:28 PM   #77
Stoky
Private
Rep
Drives: Not a Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyvyx View Post
I'm sure you're right... we all know it'll have a hardtop w/ a soft top option. It was more the matte finish of what little you can see behind the guy in the blue shirt that caught my attention.

Nearly 100% sure there only will be a hardtop vert, no soft top. Jury still out about there being a coupe, but most are saying only hardtop vert will be offered.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 07:09 PM   #78
Tenorino
Rep
Drives: Fred Flintstone Sedan

I'm glad to see it still looks agressive! those camo'd pix made the car look kind of watered down. The front is angular and amazing...still shark-like. I know the rear will look much improved just from seeing the light configuration from the spy shots. I'm glad I held off on leasing a Boxster or Vette this year. Z4 in a few months!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 04:21 AM   #79
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hunter View Post
Totally agree with this assessment. I thought this car was supposed to be different looking than the rest of the lineup? I do not dig the 3 series styling for the front bumper. And the wheels... WTF were thy thinking? I'd get rid of those wheels in a heartbeat.

I'm feeling really comfortable with my decision not to wait for the new Z4. I'm really hoping more pics surface soon to change my mind, but for now I say FAIL.
Ten bucks says you ditch that mindset when the M variant is unveiled.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 10:54 AM   #80
1POINT9
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z3/JCW Mini/328i NO AUTOMATICS

Response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcma View Post

1POINT9 - by making a post like this, you just pissed off all the Z4 owners...Not really smart IMHO. Z4 mafia got a hit on me now? How is this not smart? Everyone on here has an opinion. I may end up with a "Z4" but just not the first generation. It is a preference in styling, thats all. Even at that.. the refresh of the current Z4 was much nicer than the initial design but this is all IMHO.. which on this public forum, I choose to share. I am not a Z4 hater by any means.. expecially not the coupes.

I am going to reserve my judgement until I have a chance to see more photos of the new "Z4". BTW yes the model name is still Z4. [COLOR="blue"]The name change was never an issue for me personally. The Z4 is the successor to the Z3 just as this Z4 is the successor to your model.
IMHO back in 2003, BMW should have added the Z4 model to the BMW line up instead of replacing the Z3. I believe there was enough market differentiation for 2 roadster models in the line up. Basically BMW admitted that the Z4 model was a lot better than Z3 by ending the Z3 model. I could not agree more that the Z4 is a much better car than the Z3 ever was in most every way except one... STYLING. This is the ONLY reason I have never replaced my Z3 even after 10 years.

True the Chris Bangle styling is a love it or hate it thing. However, he had BMW corporate support from the top because you see Bangle styling cues through out the entire BMW line up. Again.. I agree with you. I actually like most of his work. Not sure about the new X1 though..

FWIW, I like all the BMW Z roadsters, Z1, Z3, Z8...etc.. Me too! Including the Z4. I just was not knocked out by the styling like I was with the Z3.

Also, there is no way the Z3 coupe is better looking than the Z4 coupe.
I agree here too.. Hands down! I did enjoy both though.

Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 05:44 PM   #81
fullrev
2011 E92 M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

thats rallye bmw

westbury ny
      12-09-2008, 10:50 AM   #82
RT8_M3