New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
redhot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 Z4 sDrive35i

Z06 - 1, Z4 - 0

Why is it that folks see a roadster and want to race?!?!

Normally I would not post a defeat but thought I would solicit experiences from a few of our enthusiast on their experiences with "racing" other cars.

Last evening on my way back had a bit of a "race" with a Corvette Z06 and got my a$$ handed to me. On a short 1.2 mile road with few curves, I could not keep up with the Z06 and lost by a good 1/4 mi. In my defense I had the top down and was in Sport mode (not sport+ with DSC off). I guess our car is not designed like a Porsche Boxter and having the top down did not instill the kind of confidence you expect of a performance car.

Guess need to pick my battles wisely
      04-26-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

I feel your pain. First off, where you driving in automatic? That ccould have been your mistake. You need to drive in manual in order to get the rpms up to redline and use all the power the car can offer.
I refuse to engage in these types of macho standoffs. I can't tell you how many times I'm at a stoplight and the guy next to me floors it on the green. What do I have to gain? If I win, it's "Well he's driving a BMW, what do you expect?". If I lose, it's "See, I can beat your ass with my Rice-rocket. You should have saved your money." We're in a no-win situation. Just be cool and love your car.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
redhot
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
I feel your pain. First off, where you driving in automatic? That ccould have been your mistake. You need to drive in manual in order to get the rpms up to redline and use all the power the car can offer.
I refuse to engage in these types of macho standoffs. I can't tell you how many times I'm at a stoplight and the guy next to me floors it on the green. What do I have to gain? If I win, it's "Well he's driving a BMW, what do you expect?". If I lose, it's "See, I can beat your ass with my Rice-rocket. You should have saved your money." We're in a no-win situation. Just be cool and love your car.
Sage advice my friend..

I hardly ever engage in these kind of behaviors as there's too much riding at stake but something instinctively pushed me over the edge to get into it.
      04-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Z06 is one fast plastic car.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #5
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Had to look this car up.. You chased at 500hp car?!?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

What did you think would happen? lighter car (~500lbs), way more tire, way more power (125mph trap... 20mph over a 35i).

I feel your pain, I'm going to switch out of this car after the lease is up to obtain more performance.

Even if you had a Cayman R or a Boxster Spyder I wouldn't expect the outcome to be much different.

Switching to a different chassis mode (unless you have a +250hp / minus 500lb mode hidden in there) is not going to change too much. Your best bet is a technical road where you might be able to use driver ability
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #7
redhot
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
Had to look this car up.. You chased at 500hp car?!?
Yes Sir! There is no cure for stupidity.....
      04-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #8
williakz
Banned
Rep
Drives: Lexus LS460

ESS is waiting for your call. First, they'll dry your tears. Then, they have a Stage 2 tuning program with your name on it. They'll even overnight it to you. Go gette tthat 'vette!!!

Last edited by williakz; 04-26-2013 at 05:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #9
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by williakz View Post
ESS is waiting for your call. First, they'll dry your tears. Then, they have a Stage 2 tuning program with your name on it. They'll even overnight it to you. Go gette tthat 'vette!!!
Z06 makes 450+whp stock and weights 500lbs less .... ( can't wait to get a car like that after the Z4 lease is up...)

Unless there are corners and driver skill differences involved chasing a Z06 in a Z4 is a (fun) waste of gas..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #10
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
What did you think would happen? lighter car (~500lbs), way more tire, way more power (125mph trap... 20mph over a 35i).

I feel your pain, I'm going to switch out of this car after the lease is up to obtain more performance.

Even if you had a Cayman R or a Boxster Spyder I wouldn't expect the outcome to be much different.

Switching to a different chassis mode (unless you have a +250hp / minus 500lb mode hidden in there) is not going to change too much. Your best bet is a technical road where you might be able to use driver ability
LOL. I'd like that pls.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 05:14 AM   #11
GooDy151
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BUS

Well... I would say E89 has as good or even better chassis than boxster(I had one)

If Z06 driver know how to drive , 911 is actually have hard time catching up.

Nothing to be sad about.

But to be honest...... I wouldn't let that V8 piece of sheit go that easy tho... I will put my life on it since I don't like american car. LOL
My licence plate say " V8 2WEAK "
And I have to prove it
'99 Subaru Impreza 2.2 JE pistons , HKS rods , Jun cam 272 / 272, Greddy T78 32D , Sard 1000cc Inj., Tein and Tomei SQ trans , 10.21sec
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 06:50 AM   #12
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 2018 TTRS

Quote:
Z06 makes 450+whp stock and weights 500lbs less .... ( can't wait to get a car like that after the Z4 lease is up...)

Unless there are corners and driver skill differences involved chasing a Z06 in a Z4 is a (fun) waste of gas..
Much better race with a tune. I would consistently trap 118 in the 1/4 in a 135i and I would suspect that a DCT Z4 would be better. However, you are still going to lose to a Z06.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 09:09 AM   #13
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:

Let us not forget that the convertible version only weights 130lbs less than a 35i 6MT. Also its probably 20% more expensive to buy and use, and 100% uglier with the roof up.

Anyway, why not work harder to get the car you actually want instead of waiting? Cars are among the biggest and worst investments most of us do, and why keep one if you can't wait to move on? If wasting XXX would make you super happy while wasting XX makes you fustrated, then that extra X is really worth it imo! Who knows what will happen to the fuel prices tomorrow, or if you will suddenly become blind or worse. We all get to live only once.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #14
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot View Post
In my defense I had the top down and was in Sport mode (not sport+ with DSC off).
A few thoughts pop up with me:

1) There will always be faster cars and drivers out there. And the cars of tomorrow will be faster than the cars of yesterday. So while competing might get your andrenaline pumping, it is really much smarter to do with a group of friends in cheap go-carts on a closed track. I am not sure if you can do that in the US though?

2) The Z4 has a lower center of gravity with the roof down. That is a good thing!

3) DSC is not off in sport+ mode. It is like 80% on.

4) If you learn how to balance the Z4 on over-steer with DSC off and in manual mode I am 95% cerntain it will be all the fun you will ever need in a car. It will make you slower, but it is just such a great feeling when you nail it. Imo much more fun than driving fast through corners, braking hard and what else competing / improving lap times entails...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #15
R1robot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5i

Quote:

Pretty much this. I pick my fights in turns, and on a 186 hp Z4, i still end up winning. It's the most satisfying thing to experience beating cars almost twice your power because of the driver's poor skill. Or better yet, beating miata's out of turns because the driver wrecks/can't control.

Straight line racing is kind of lame because anyone with good shifting skill can do it. You want to be unfair, Throw any 1000cc motorcycle to a Z06.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #16
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Daddy-bought" 2010 Z4

Be glad it wasn't a ZR1! Yesterday, I had a Camaro (base) fly by me but I think he was just in a hurry, he kept a steady 80 while he sped away in a 45. I've never noticed Corvette drivers to be like that and for some reason, Corvettes are a dime a dozen in Arizona. It's mostly the muscle car drivers that'll give any sort of "attitude". Mustangs, Chargers, Challengers, and Camaros. And of course, the ricers are always annoying.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #17
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Daddy-bought" 2010 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooDy151 View Post
Well... I would say E89 has as good or even better chassis than boxster(I had one)

If Z06 driver know how to drive , 911 is actually have hard time catching up.

Nothing to be sad about.

But to be honest...... I wouldn't let that V8 piece of sheit go that easy tho... I will put my life on it since I don't like american car. LOL
And I have to prove it
Well, if it was a 911 turbo, I don't believe the Z06 would have a chance in hell. Now, take a GT2 RS or GT3 and the Z06 is in even deeper water. Don't quote me on this, but I think the 911 turbo's 1/4 mile time is a half second less than the ZO6. I don't know if even the ZR1 could match it on the track. Again, I don't really know, that's just what I assume.

By the way, the times are taken individually for each car. The time begins when the car starts moving.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #18
redhot
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by williakz View Post
That's true. ESS is stone throws from where I work, however I am not interested in spending $1k over a tune while in warranty, though the gains might pay in leaps. Even with the tune, I would still be handicapped against the z06.
      04-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #19
redhot
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
A few thoughts pop up with me:

1) There will always be faster cars and drivers out there. And the cars of tomorrow will be faster than the cars of yesterday. So while competing might get your andrenaline pumping, it is really much smarter to do with a group of friends in cheap go-carts on a closed track. I am not sure if you can do that in the US though?

2) The Z4 has a lower center of gravity with the roof down. That is a good thing!

3) DSC is not off in sport+ mode. It is like 80% on.

4) If you learn how to balance the Z4 on over-steer with DSC off and in manual mode I am 95% cerntain it will be all the fun you will ever need in a car. It will make you slower, but it is just such a great feeling when you nail it. Imo much more fun than driving fast through corners, braking hard and what else competing / improving lap times entails...
As much as I enjoy driving my z, it does not instill confidence that it will hold a corner without fish tailing. I am in no way a professional driver and breaking the corner loose is not idea of fun unless I am on an air strip or a track.

There is a 90 degree radius bend on the road I take back to home and have gone at 60mph going in the turn and almost had my pants wet coming out of it. The Michelin PSS held with no drama, however the remaining car and the steering feel was disconnected. It is hard to judge the turn angle on this roadster. Fun as it was, I don't intend to repeating the heroics anytime soon...
      04-27-2013, 03:41 PM   #20
redhot
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepittrill View Post
Be glad it wasn't a ZR1! Yesterday, I had a Camaro (base) fly by me but I think he was just in a hurry, he kept a steady 80 while he sped away in a 45. I've never noticed Corvette drivers to be like that and for some reason, Corvettes are a dime a dozen in Arizona. It's mostly the muscle car drivers that'll give any sort of "attitude". Mustangs, Chargers, Challengers, and Camaros. And of course, the ricers are always annoying.
I have had all sorts of cars specially trucks try to race me. Guess being in a red roadster has its drawbacks...LoL .
      04-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #21
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

Z06
-Start with the engine. It's a naturally aspirated 7.0-liter.
- Built by hand at GM's Performance Build Center in Wixom, Michigan, the aluminum V-8 puts out 505 bhp at 6300 rpm and 470 lb.-ft. of torque at 4800 rpm and uses lightweight titanium intake valves and connecting rods.
-The lightest Corvette in the lineup (3310-lb. curb weight), thanks to an aluminum frame.
- Body has extensive use of carbon fiber in the fenders and floors and has optional carbon-fiber hood, roof, rockers and splitter.

On stats the Vette's wins every time, but stats don' t win my dollars.

- Sheer cubic inches at 505 HP, 205 more the the stock 35i and 470 LB feet of torque, 170 more than the Z, plus lighter weight by 200 plus lbs equals No comparison.
- However, I test drove a 2009 NON Z06 before buying the Z and it was a rattle trap.
- Harsh ride even compare to the Z with my RFT.
- The interior was just awful.
- The cost of a new set of tires was in the $1800-2000 K range.
- No hardtop convertible.
- Old UN FUN automatic Transmission
- The electronics, sound system and overall gadgets were lacking.
-There are Vette's everywhere and there is nothing unique in the C6 series.
- New C7 is a different story.

All things consided, I take my Z any day over the Vette and welcome a straight line thrashing. I will always being cruising in the better and most unique car.
2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #22
Yeggman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 s3.0i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooDy151 View Post
I wouldn't let that V8 piece of sheit go that easy tho... I will put my life on it since I don't like american car. LOL
And I have to prove it

I hope you have a lot of time to prove it. If your license plate really says
V8 2WEAK you must spend a lot of time getting schooled by a bunch of different American cars. No wonder you don't like them.
Appreciate 0